• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Intro--Getting back to riding after 20+ years, the NC fits me--.

jimhands3

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Forum,

I've been lurking on lots of bike forums for a few years now, wanting to get back into riding after a 24 year hiatus. 52 years old, 220lbs, 6'3", 32" inseam. I've looked at everything from TW200's (took the MSF course on one), CTX, Rebel, Burgman, Z400, came close to getting a used Silverwing, but when I thought about what I really wanted, was a solid commuter that could go down an occasional dirt road, and the frunk! It was always the NC700x (or 750) DCT and ABS are what I really wanted so that's where I am. Have found a gently used 2016 NC700x DCT (7000 mi) which ticks off all the boxes.

I plan on riding it around my neighborhood and commute to and from work (3 miles) and building up my skills, taking another advanced safety course, etc. Any suggestions or tips on getting to know the bike is appreciated and thank you for all the knowledge shared so far, I've learned a lot! Now it's time to put it to practical use. Looks like I'll get it in 2 weeks! Very excited!

Jim
Redondo Beach, CA

I'm 6'0" and the bike fits me well. Once I started riding more than an hour in a stretch I got bar risers and extended pegs, my back and legs are much happier. You'll probably be good tooling around town, but I'd recommend the same parts if you plan on longer rides.

DCT seems the way to go if it's commuting and recreational riding with traffic, signals, and signed intersections.

Welcome, Jim!
DCT seems the way to go if it's commuting and recreational riding with traffic, signals, and signed intersections.
Yup, if I wasn’t retired and was commuting with a bike I almost certainly would own an NC7 DCT right now. It makes a lot of sense.

Welcome Jim!

The NC is a good choice to get back into riding. It can do a lot of different things well and carry you far down the road from re-entry rider. My advice to you if you are asking is to ride often and ride a lot. Your 24 year old skills will return quickly and the sky is the limit.

I agree with dduelin. I took about an 18 year break from riding, but as long as you take it easy initially, you will be fine. The NC 700 DCT is a fun, easy bike to ride. I have owned about 15 or so bikes over the last 20 years, but I dont see myself selling this one,.....unless I were to buy a NC750.

Thanks everyone for the welcome, suggestions, and advice! Looking very forward to practical application! I also wondered if a 750 would be better, but based on what I’ve read for what I need (at least for now) the 700 will be perfect! Will keep you all posted! Thanks again-

You'll be a happy man! I started back a little over a year ago on a Rebel 500. I put a little over 8000 miles on it last summer, had one mishap, could never get comfortable, too cramped, but a great little motorcycle. I traded for an NC750X in November and love love love it! We've had a mild winter and I keep putting the miles on the NC, it's just a fantastic motorcycle for ME. O, and I get about 5mpg better fuel economy over the Rebel 500 as well!

602 240LBS 34 inch inseam and also owned the NC700 and it fit pretty well. Once or twice I felt I was a little too big for the bike but that was fleeting. I loved it but sold it and regret selling it terribly. You are going to love the bike (at least I hope so) it's enough of everything but not too much. I hope to add the 750 back to the stable soon.

I've been thinking about upgrading to the 750 ever since it came out, but a new DCT is almost impossible to find here. None of the dealers stock them. So I'll just keep waiting until I find a good used one (maybe in another state) and save the financial hit I'll be getting when I sell my 2016 DCT for... maybe $3,500. It has signs of use and the frunk was broken into and not all the damaged parts were replaced.

But it gets 60 mpg most times I fill up, got my carry-on bag to LAX where I parked for free across from the terminal, gets me to the beach all summer (and always finds me a convenient, free place to park. I've probably saved at least $500 a year by taking the bike to every place I can!
Toured the area around the new Ram's stadium in Inglewood today. Still don't know what "SoFi" is!

Let me know if you'd like to do a tour in hills of Malibu. I don't do the Snake any more, just touring, enjoying the sights (and wineries!).

They call us "born agains". Taking long breaks from riding and returning in our more mature years. I returned about 10 years ago on a Nighthawk 750. I thought that thing was a rocket ship. Put about 25000 miles on her as well as 10,000 on a Suzuki DR650. Currently have a 2014 NC700 with about 25 K and a new Royal Enfield Himalayan. When I returned, I just rode around the neighborhood. Then I started heading out into the country. I joined a Nighthawk forum and really enjoyed that camaraderie. Played a game of "photo tag" which really got me exploring my neck of the woods. I'll say that I avoided areas with traffic. ( and still do) Felt much safer out in the sticks. I did take the MSF course at my local community college and that was a good idea.

Welcome back and I know you'll enjoy your NC.

Thanks for all the great replies, and I would qualify as 'born again' rider here soon enough. I'm hoping to replace a car with the NC. Not right away, but that's the general idea. Start out slow, around the neighborhood, etc, then graduating to being able to commute. There's plenty of DCTs around here in LA that are new, but I think the NC700 has plenty. SilverRocket I'll take you up on your offer once I get the bike and figure out how to turn it on! Looks like we're neighbors in lala land. Half the reason I considered coming back to 2 wheels is the lane splitting. I have a few MSF advanced courses to take before that though. Easy does it, as they say...

The riding courses work best if you have an actual motorcycle at home on which to practice what you've learned in the classroom and on the range. Just taking a bunch of classes without riding your own bike is not the best way.

I also took a 20 year sabbatical to raise two sons and one of them ride with me now. He rides a 1982 Honda CB650. The bike is 5 years older than him! He bought it for a grand. It took some work but we got it back to running like new. I say new because it only had 3200 miles on it when he bought it.
All I can say is at 67, I only feel 27 when I ride. My motto is "Ride conservative, ride alert, ride long." If you notice that you are getting tunnel vision, or take one nod, take the next exit even in the middle of nowhere. Give yourself a break and walk around the bike 10 times.

Sandspike - I hope your son changed the original tires on his CB650? After all that time, they have the coefficient of friction close to that of iron!

Yes we did and yes they were ROCK hard. Aslo had to have the stator rebuilt and put new rectifier and of course battery. All else wer fine even hoses.

So, it took longer than I thought! Got a 2021 NC750x DCT on August 12! Been riding almost every day, love it love it love it! Had a 2015 CTX DCT fall in my lap last year, so that was my reentry bike. Liked that very much, but kept going back to the NC. Will elaborate in a different post. Many thanks to all who post here. I’ve learned tons.

Back