• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Insurance Comparison

DominusFL

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my "updated" insurance for my bike, and it makes a very interesting comparison.

I have two motorcycles:

2011 Victory Cross Roads w/ Hard Bags, Forged Bars, Stage 1 Performance Upgrade, Mid-Windshield, Rear Crash Bars, Trunk, Front/Rear Fender, etc. About $20K for the bike and another $5k in accessories.
Insured for TOTAL LOSS REPLACEMENT (they buy me a new one) w/ up to $8K in accessories: $304/yr

2012 Honda NC700X DCT w/ givi engine bars, givi trunk, etc. About $8.5K for the bike plus about $1k in accessories
Insured for TOTAL LOSS REPLACEMENT (they buy me a new one) w/ up to $3K in accessories: $520/yr

In short, $25k bike is $304/yr and ~$9k bike is $520/yr.

Funny thing is the Victory has no ABS, 97 horsepower, and weights over 800 lbs. It will kill you a lot faster than the Honda.

I'm guessing Progressive considers the NC700X a sports bike?

Geez. Do you happen to be a single male under 35? Between my and my husband's bike we only pay about $300/yr. About 2/3 is for the nc, his vstar is liability only. And that's with progressive.

I wonder does the insurance companies know its not a SPORT BIKE?
All the insurance companies I got quoted from seems HIGH.
Maybe its the NEW MODEL that the insurance companies worry about ?

Ken

Prices are all over the place. For me, 62 w/motorcycle license and MSF, Geico $370, Progressive $540, Safeco where I have had all my coverage for 40 years, $1304!!

Being a new bike, the insurance company actuaries’ do not have the state accident numbers on this bike yet. That takes two years in most states. So when in doubt put highest sport bike prices, this way company does not get burned, and the actuarial will not have the boss on their back.

Answer is shop around, a few companies want motorcycle business. What was true about what an insurance company wanted this year may change next year, and the rates reflect it.

In Texas what companies who want us are: Progressive
Dairyland
and on over age 30, perfect riders, high performance bikes only, believe it or not - State Farm. I guess their actuarial figures these rates are so high, it just does not matter anyway.

I had the same experience with my insurance company. I don't remember the exact numbers, but liability insurance on my 1600cc cruiser is about half as much as the same coverage for my 670cc NC. Same company, same coverage, same rider. They must be classifying the NC as a crotch rocket.

I am in Florida and my insurance with middling high limits, stacked, and uninsured motorist is +/- $190 a year. It went up from $185. Allstate.

Just got my "updated" insurance for my bike, and it makes a very interesting comparison.

I have two motorcycles:

2011 Victory Cross Roads w/ Hard Bags, Forged Bars, Stage 1 Performance Upgrade, Mid-Windshield, Rear Crash Bars, Trunk, Front/Rear Fender, etc. About $20K for the bike and another $5k in accessories.
Insured for TOTAL LOSS REPLACEMENT (they buy me a new one) w/ up to $8K in accessories: $304/yr

2012 Honda NC700X DCT w/ givi engine bars, givi trunk, etc. About $8.5K for the bike plus about $1k in accessories
Insured for TOTAL LOSS REPLACEMENT (they buy me a new one) w/ up to $3K in accessories: $520/yr

Funny thing is the Victory has no ABS, 97 horsepower, and weights over 800 lbs. It will kill you a lot faster than the Honda.

I'm guessing Progressive considers the NC700X a sports bike?

Call Progressive..........let them know your your not happy and there classification on the NC is not correct........I had a long conversation with them.......if enough people question their rates and bike classification they will change it. They told me they frequently reclass a bike after it is in the market for a year.

One think for sure if people do not complain it will not change.

Extrapolating, a tricycle with a clown horn ought to be about $2,000 per year. Whatta buncha maroons. Don't use any logic. Just stick 'em.

What's more moronic is that FL doesn't require insurance on motorcycles. I don't think they even require inspections on cars (or motorcycles). When I got insurance through Geico in FL last Dec, it was over $900! I was using the same limits as I had in Maryland (100/300/50 + uninsured motorist); the uninsured motorist premium portion was $563. After shipping the bike to MD, the insurance dropped to $286/yr for the NC700x. The 2003 Sportster is $119.

Ride and smile.
Paul
2012 NC700x
2003 Sportster

Progressive does consider it a sport bike, but I've read on another forum they have different sub categories for sport bikes. It isn't in the same sport sub category as a 600cc or a 1 liter sport bike. They also tweak the rates as claims data on a specific new model comes in.

Well I just got my renewal but overall the cost difference between between my '08 FJR and the '13 NCX is only $13 more for the NCX. The only major discrepancy in coverage that I just noticed is a $500 deductible for collision on the NCX vs. $250 for the FJR. Not sure how that happened and I'll be calling to have the NCX changed to the lower deductible. Also noticed in the discounts that they don't have the FJR noted for Anti-lock brakes but they do show it for the NCX.

Anyhow both have full liability, uninsured and underinsured coverage at $100k each person/$300K each accident, $100 deductible for comprehensive and $3000 of accessory coverage, towing (this is free) and something called Basic Pedestrian Benefit of $5000 (I assume this means if we hit a pedestrian with the bike) and I guess they think it's unlikely as the premium for that for both bikes is .69 cents.

FJR $180 per year, NCX $193 per year through Allstate, with my wife and I listed as riders although it is unlikely she would ever ride my FJR even though it did get just about cold enough for Hell to freeze over this year in PA. :rolleyes:

My apologies in advance to my riding friends from Canada. I know some of you get a little touchy about how our motorcycle insurance in the States seems to be so cheap but look on the bright side...you have that Bieber kid to be proud of. :p

Just renewed my motorcycle insurance. I'm with National General (Rider's). After reading a lot of the previous postings I decided to do an insurance premium comparison.
My renewal cost is $183 per year with National General. At Geico ( I couldn't match coverage exactly) it was $193/year with lesser amounts of coverage in the areas I couldn't match.
At Progressive, there coverage that was close to mine, but lower in several categories, was $340/year. Their recommended coverage was almost $500/year.
So I going to stay with the Rider Magazine recommended insurance.

Just to show how crazy variable rates can be, my Progressive is less than $100 per year to add the NC to my existing policies. Your mileage can and does vary.

Thats a really good price. I am paying way more than that thru Foremost insurance. Do you have an agent or do you call the number on the website? Gonna check into it and see if i can get a better deal.
Just renewed my motorcycle insurance. I'm with National General (Rider's). After reading a lot of the previous postings I decided to do an insurance premium comparison.
My renewal cost is $183 per year with National General. At Geico ( I couldn't match coverage exactly) it was $193/year with lesser amounts of coverage in the areas I couldn't match.
At Progressive, there coverage that was close to mine, but lower in several categories, was $340/year. Their recommended coverage was almost $500/year.
So I going to stay with the Rider Magazine recommended insurance.

Thats a really good price. I am paying way more than that thru Foremost insurance. Do you have an agent or do you call the number on the website? Gonna check into it and see if i can get a better deal.
Larry,
No agent. Just call the phone number.
I've been with National General since 2000. But longevity with them does not give you any discounts.
My insurance was cheaper with my Suzuki V-Stroms and my KLR's. I guess they consider the NC's a high powered, dangerous race bike???

Back