• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Installed new JT Sprockets (JTSK1035) 520X1R2 Chain and 16 Front/43 Rear Tooth Sprocket Kit

mrbios

Reaction score
Visit site
RE: JT Sprockets (JTSK1035) 520X1R2 Chain and 16 Front/43 Rear Tooth Sprocket Kit $113 +tx on Amazon ordered May 2022

Miles: 43K and still running original sprockets which looked ok but cause the chain to get tight and loose as the wheel is rotated. All chain / sprockets do this and the chain should always be rotated to the tightest spot and then adjusted. The work sprockets made noise and you could feel and hear the tight loose as you rode coming up to a stop sign. Estimated miles on the old chain: 23K+

The description for this kit does not mention but DOES include a DUAL Masterlink so you can choose the traditional "clip" type lock or the newer ["staked" type which requires a special tool $20].

Everything fit and went in nicely. I greased the rusted front sprocket spline. I recommend applying gear oil before the first ride. I also changed the rear oem axel dust seals (two different part #'s) which cost $23 + tx & shipping but worth it. I also installed a new chain slider - while the original still had miles left and probably would have lasted to 60K miles I decided to reset to new oem chain slipper aka chain slider.

Weird side note: When I got the bike in 2019 with 33K miles from original owner that was super cheap on maintenance there was NO clip on the master link! It was held in place by friction (I added to tiny circlips as a precaution) - the pins are slightly tapered near the end and I used a screw driver to pry the master link apart. Note: they were NOT staked (see close up of master link before install to see what i'm talking about.

Part #'s

Amazon: ordered March 15 2022
JT Sprockets (JTSK1035) 520X1R2 Chain and 16 Front/43 Rear Tooth Sprocket Kit
Brand: JT Sprockets
$113.38

Manufacturer: JT Sprockets
Brand: JT Sprockets
Model: JTSK1035

Item Weight: 7.35 pounds
Product Dimensions: 12.7 x 10.3 x 3.3 inches
Country of Origin: Thailand
Item model number: JTSK1035
Manufacturer Part Number: JTSK1035

Attachments

• 16_New masterlink-sm.jpg
    16_New masterlink-sm.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 27
  • 17_Master link installed-sm.jpg
    17_Master link installed-sm.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 26
  • 18_-sm.jpg
    18_-sm.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 21_New JT Chain & Sprockets-Sm.jpg
    21_New JT Chain & Sprockets-Sm.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 13_Spline Seal-sm.jpg
    13_Spline Seal-sm.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 29
If you ever think about it in the future, post details on your JT chain life when it finally dies. There has been past discussion where users found JT sprockets to be good products, but the chains were short lived.

My opinion on chains: Except for special "racing" chains they are all made the same way and are very reliable (with normal maintenance).

My last chain a cheap one that just said "Japan" on the sides of the links was not well taken care of and was worn when I got it (estimate 10K+ miles) it was very noisy with "sticking links" that resist straightening out. Also, had original Honda sprockets with 33K on them. Chain went from tight to very loose which is caused by worn sprockets. I used gear oil regularly and retired the chain after putting an additional 10K on it. Estimated that it lasted 23K even with worn original sprockets.

Check out ProjectFarm channel on YouTube, click on videos, search for Chain - he scientifically tests everything from traditional 90W Gear oil down to chain wax. Chain wax ranks at the bottom and gear oil (recommended by almost all chain mfg's and the Honda manual is #1).

Snapped Chain:
I have only broken one chain ever: Chinese quad that was abandoned in a backyard for years. Brought back to life and chain was very rusty and I had to work in oil to free it up. It lasted an estimated 200 miles of short trips around neighborhood trails and street then one day it just snapped. I replaced it with a $20 generic chain but did not change the original sprockets and sold it to a friend about 5 years ago and working fine ever since.

ChainWax does make sense in situations like show-motorcycles or custom bar-hopper hard-tail cruisers where the rear sprocket also serves as the rear brake rotor (see picture below) in which case only dry lubes like chainwax or moly spray can be used.

Two Choices:
1. Pour gear oil (or normal 10W30 motor oil) into a small plastic jar and apply it with an old toothbrush by putting bike on a center or other stand every 300 miles and after exposure to rain by rotating the wheel. Apply to top of chain then second coat to underside of chain and ideally let the bike sit over night and you will easily get 25K miles out of any chain OR
2. ignore the ProjectFarm video that proves gear oil is the best for chains and ChainWax is the worst and continue to use products like ChainWax, WD-40 etc and just keep blaming the chain brand.

Curious Info:
1. the ~ 1983 Yamaha Virago XV920?? Has a normal chain that is fully enclosed in a plastic cover and the manual states that you should expect the chain to last "at least" 38,000 miles.
2. Automatic oilers (~ $150) are probably the best way to go. I met a guy that showed me his chain with 40K miles and it was like new. He used and automatic oiler. I only ride about 4.5K /yr and so a chain will last 6+ years and that is good enough.

BTW (By The Way): The motorcycle pictured below is Nash Custom Cycles.

Attachments

• 04_Rear Sprocket is Disc Brake.jpg
    04_Rear Sprocket is Disc Brake.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back