• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Installed dual-port USB harness in the frunk.

ronsaw

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing fancy, direct-wired USB port to the battery with a fused harness. My goal is just to power my Garmin, and have a spare port to keep the mobile phone charged. Came with a 7.5 amp mini fuse, replaced with a 3 amp to keep the phone happy, and due to the fact that the Garmin 12V cigar lighter charger has a 3 amp mini in it. Worked perfect!

Attachments

• USB 1.jpg
    USB 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 556
  • USB 2.jpg
    USB 2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 790
  • USB 3.jpg
    USB 3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 900
Thanks - I figured it was either drill a much larger hole or trim away. A person always cringes a little doing it, but oh well!

Nothing fancy, direct-wired USB port to the battery with a fused harness. My goal is just to power my Garmin, and have a spare port to keep the mobile phone charged. Came with a 7.5 amp mini fuse, replaced with a 3 amp to keep the phone happy, and due to the fact that the Garmin 12V cigar lighter charger has a 3 amp mini in it. Worked perfect!

Careful. My Garmin Nuvi drained my battery when left for a week even though the Nuvi was turned off. Make sure it ks disconnected of not riding for awhile.

It's much better to have a relay in the system for powering accessories so it'll only have power with the key ON. Going directly to the battery is asking for trouble but perhaps I'm too much a worry wart.

I bought and installed a three outlet, fused unit from Eastern Beaver for my NC and have been happy with its quality. On my previous two bikes, I bought an accessory panel & relay separately then made my own wiring harness but this time I wanted to try the Eastern Beaver and I've been happy plus it was a heck of a lot less work!

It's much better to have a relay in the system for powering accessories so it'll only have power with the key ON. Going directly to the battery is asking for trouble but perhaps I'm too much a worry wart.

I'd much prefer an unswitched USB outlet in the frunk so you can charge things in the evening or overnight while on camping trips.

Indeed, it will be disconnected each time. Did not want to wire to Key On power, to prevent having to reboot it each key up. The way I use my bike, I should be fine - but easy enough to jumper it to a key on position if I like down the road.

I'd much prefer an unswitched USB outlet in the frunk so you can charge things in the evening or overnight while on camping trips.

I have an unswitched one as well for same reason and a switched one for other things like my dash cam. Things left always connected should be switched. Charging phone or Sena communicator overnight not a problem, but gps for a week even turned off can be problem.

Back