• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ignition slot not unlocking ... Help! SOLVED

GregC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
on my 2015 DCT -- moved the bike out of the shed this morning to do some work in the shed. I store the bike with the handlebars locked. I unlocked and started the bike with no issues. Engaged "D" and rode the bike 10 feet into my parking area. Got off, turned the bars full left as usual and turned off the bike with the key (as always) and locked the bars. Came back maybe 10 minutes later to move the bike again and the key will not unlock or move the ignition barrel. Tried my spare Honda key ... no joy. Tried all 5 of the "bare spares" I have and again, no joy. So right now the bike has its bars locked and I can't do anything.

Any ideas or suggestions most welcome!

Greg

Edited to add: this is the standard US version, no HISS or security system.

yeah -- rocked them, caressed them, whispered sweet nothings in the bar ends. Nothing worked.

I know powdered graphite is a no-no for bike ignitions because it will form a gunk once wet. So I gambled and used some Deox-It (electrical cleaner/lube), and worked several of my keys in and out ... and Presto! it worked again. So I gave the Deox-It 30 minutes to work and evaporate, then I hit it with Kroil, and again worked the keys in and out. That seems to have done the trick! Very smooth operation now.

Whew! A new lock assembly from Babbits is $140.

IMG_4388.JPG

Back