• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I'd Appreciate Your Thoughts and Guidance for Consideration

The Phoenix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently my wife surprised me and said that she would like to go riding with me. However she refuses to even attempt to use the pillion seat nor does she wish to get her own MC or license.
I have my 2021 Honda NC750xd for a little over a year now and am really enjoying the ride, literally and figuratively but as much as I do I can't pass up the chance to go riding with my wife now and then.
I'd like to continue with a DCT motorcycle and therefore I'd like to ask the more knowledgeable and experienced members of the forum what years/models I should consider for a comfortable ride for 2?
As always thanks in advance for your guidance.

Unless you are both on the smaller side, I can't imagine an NC 750 being comfortable 2 up. If you do you are going to need a back rest or trunk for her to lean against to be comfortable. My wife has ridden with me since 1972 but absolutely refuses to get on the back of either my NC or CB. Seat is too small and no backrest.

that said I think TacomaJD rides 2 up a lot.

I don’t know you and your wife’s age, physical abilities, size, “toughness”, etc.

Back in the last century my wife would ride briefly as passenger on an ‘82 Suzuki, and later on a Honda ST1100, but the rides were not long distance. In 2004 we bought a Goldwing so she would have the proper passenger accommodations for comfortable longer rides. She will now ride 200 miles or so as passenger, and she enjoys it. We go on trips to the mountains and ride daily, going everywhere we go on the Goldwing.

I would never ask a person to ride as passenger on a machine with such a wimpy passenger seat as on the NCX series. I myself would refuse to ride as passenger on an NC. I am not familiar with cruisers and don’t wish to be, but for the rest of Honda‘s street bike lineup, the Goldwing is the only current model with decent passenger accommodations. On all other models the passenger seat just seems to be an afterthought, or one for occasional emergency use.

So to recommend a 2 wheel motorcycle that fits your preference for having DCT, and for having a real passenger seat, that’s an easy call because there is only one choice available, and that is a second generation (2018+) Honda GL1800 Goldwing Tour. Show your wife a picture of, or have her sit on the Goldwing passenger seat and she’ll make the decision for you.

If you want to expand your world beyond Honda and beyond DCT, or even possibly open up to 3 wheelers like the Spyder, you’ll have many other choices, including older models that will be more affordable. A 2001-2017 Goldwing will be more affordable than a 2018+, but it cannot be optioned with DCT. Lastly, your wife may not so much be interested in her own motorcycle, but perhaps if you had two scooters to go on rides locally, she could enjoy that. My wife and I have two small (automatic transmission) scooters that we have put about 5500 miles on each, always doing the rides together and communicating through helmet intercoms.

Last edited:
Prior to my 2022 NC750X I had a 2018 Goldwing non-tour. That bike would be extremely comfortable for 2 up riding. So would the regular Goldwing tour model. I just thought the Non-Tour model was sportier looking. It is a much more comfortable yet expensive and heavier bike. But it does have much better technology as well. For me, it was too heavy for my style of riding. I ride only solo and find the NC to be overall more fun to ride. If I was doing long trips or riding 2 up, I probably would have kept the Goldwing. But so glad that I traded it in. Had an Africa Twin before that which I also liked but again, prefer the NC.

As 670cc pointed out the only DCT option for comfortable 2 up touring is probably the 2018 and newer Goldwing. Maybe you can rent one for a weekend and see if one fits into your expectations and financial position. The size and weight can be intimidating until you push it up off the side stand, engage the clutch and pull away. It really does ride and handle like a much lighter bike than it is.

Your story is not that unique in the Goldwing community. It has been said that more Wings have been sold to wives than husbands. That is why a 2006 Wing sits in my garage when a Wing was never ever on my radar. Literally she sat on the back of one and that started it. My wife went from being a complete non-rider to an enthusiastic pillion that can ride 500 mile days and enjoys a week or more up there riding every single day. The more curves the better she loves it.

We used to tour two up a lot and the only advice I can give is to get a powerful bike. My best tourer was a Yamaha FJR1300. I personally think a NC would struggle.

Recently my wife surprised me and said that she would like to go riding with me. However she refuses to even attempt to use the pillion seat nor does she wish to get her own MC or license.
Perhaps I'm missing something. Your Wife wants to accompany You but won't get on the back or get Her own bike. Perhaps You could elaborate. Is it just the NC or is She prepared to try a different bike ?

Other bikes with DCT are the Africa Twin and the VFR 1200F plus its Big Traillie variant.

No disrespect intended. Has your wife ever ridden on the back of a motorcycle before or is this just something she "thinks" she would like? For myself, I wouldn't invest in a bike upgrade until she has proven that she is ready, willing and able to put in the miles. If she is unwilling to try riding on the back of your NC, I wouldn't invest the $$$ on a whim.

Perhaps I'm missing something. Your Wife wants to accompany You but won't get on the back or get Her own bike. Perhaps You could elaborate. Is it just the NC or is She prepared to try a different bike ?

Other bikes with DCT are the Africa Twin and the VFR 1200F plus its Big Traillie variant.
Oh No! Does this mean you need to buy another motorcycle? Oh, the humanity...

First my thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my posting.
My wife did ride as a passenger on MCs previously but did not voice her wanting to do so again until recently. Age-wise I am closer to 68 than 67, 6 foot tall and 200 lbs. My wife is a petite 5ft 8 and did not like the feel of the NC pillion while it was not moving so I her comments as far as being a passenger are not surprising for any discernable distance. Still just the thought of going on short trips/day trips together are a great temptation and who knows from there?
Again my sincere thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and guidance.

Unless you are both on the smaller side, I can't imagine an NC 750 being comfortable 2 up. If you do you are going to need a back rest or trunk for her to lean against to be comfortable. My wife has ridden with me since 1972 but absolutely refuses to get on the back of either my NC or CB. Seat is too small and no backrest.

that said I think TacomaJD rides 2 up a lot.
Thank-you for your reply. I certainly understand your wife's feelings as my wife has voiced the same comments.

I don’t know you and your wife’s age, physical abilities, size, “toughness”, etc.

Back in the last century my wife would ride briefly as passenger on an ‘82 Suzuki, and later on a Honda ST1100, but the rides were not long distance. In 2004 we bought a Goldwing so she would have the proper passenger accommodations for comfortable longer rides. She will now ride 200 miles or so as passenger, and she enjoys it. We go on trips to the mountains and ride daily, going everywhere we go on the Goldwing.

I would never ask a person to ride as passenger on a machine with such a wimpy passenger seat as on the NCX series. I myself would refuse to ride as passenger on an NC. I am not familiar with cruisers and don’t wish to be, but for the rest of Honda‘s street bike lineup, the Goldwing is the only current model with decent passenger accommodations. On all other models the passenger seat just seems to be an afterthought, or one for occasional emergency use.

So to recommend a 2 wheel motorcycle that fits your preference for having DCT, and for having a real passenger seat, that’s an easy call because there is only one choice available, and that is a second generation (2018+) Honda GL1800 Goldwing Tour. Show your wife a picture of, or have her sit on the Goldwing passenger seat and she’ll make the decision for you.

If you want to expand your world beyond Honda and beyond DCT, or even possibly open up to 3 wheelers like the Spyder, you’ll have many other choices, including older models that will be more affordable. A 2001-2017 Goldwing will be more affordable than a 2018+, but it cannot be optioned with DCT. Lastly, your wife may not so much be interested in her own motorcycle, but perhaps if you had two scooters to go on rides locally, she could enjoy that. My wife and I have two small (automatic transmission) scooters that we have put about 5500 miles on each, always doing the rides together and communicating through helmet intercoms.
Thanks 670. My wife's previous riding experience was as a passenger on smaller bikes on short trips. She voiced enjoyment of various aspects of being on the bike except for the passenger's seat so it didn't surprise me when she went on to talk about being a passenger with me. I appreciate all your input and suggestions but I'm pretty sure her interest is just being with me on the same MC but wants to make sure she is safe and comfortable.

Prior to my 2022 NC750X I had a 2018 Goldwing non-tour. That bike would be extremely comfortable for 2 up riding. So would the regular Goldwing tour model. I just thought the Non-Tour model was sportier looking. It is a much more comfortable yet expensive and heavier bike. But it does have much better technology as well. For me, it was too heavy for my style of riding. I ride only solo and find the NC to be overall more fun to ride. If I was doing long trips or riding 2 up, I probably would have kept the Goldwing. But so glad that I traded it in. Had an Africa Twin before that which I also liked but again, prefer the NC.
Thanks denstl. Most respondents have identified the Goldwing as my option at this point. I anticipated that but others have brought up other bikes I did not consider, for which I am thankful.

As 670cc pointed out the only DCT option for comfortable 2 up touring is probably the 2018 and newer Goldwing. Maybe you can rent one for a weekend and see if one fits into your expectations and financial position. The size and weight can be intimidating until you push it up off the side stand, engage the clutch and pull away. It really does ride and handle like a much lighter bike than it is.

Your story is not that unique in the Goldwing community. It has been said that more Wings have been sold to wives than husbands. That is why a 2006 Wing sits in my garage when a Wing was never ever on my radar. Literally she sat on the back of one and that started it. My wife went from being a complete non-rider to an enthusiastic pillion that can ride 500 mile days and enjoys a week or more up there riding every single day. The more curves the better she loves it.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts dduelin. Your comments bring a smile as I read them. As I shared with denstl I am hoping to have other options than a Goldwing. I am wondering what you think about the feasibility of a CTX?

Thanks for your reply Griff. Frankly I didn't think about the African Twin or VFR but will have to familiarize myself with those bikes.
To answer your question it's the NC pillion seat, she is willing to try other bikes, and I like to think that it's more a matter of us being together on a bike.

No disrespect intended. Has your wife ever ridden on the back of a motorcycle before or is this just something she "thinks" she would like? For myself, I wouldn't invest in a bike upgrade until she has proven that she is ready, willing and able to put in the miles. If she is unwilling to try riding on the back of your NC, I wouldn't invest the $$$ on a whim.
Thanks for your reply Alias. No disrespect taken whatsoever. As I mentioned in previous replies I think her wants to ride with me as a passenger is as much enjoyment of being on the bike as being together.

It seems from post number 1 that the pillion seat was your wife’s concern, and having DCT was your preference. Therefore the next course of action would be to make a list of all potential DCT models, then assess the suitability of the pillion seats. Also take note of the potential models’ rear suspension as to their ability to handle passenger weight. Except for the Honda NM4, I think all other DCT models that are/were available in the USA have now been mentioned in this thread. Your potential list is pretty short.

Last edited:
Back