• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I Want Protection

Therapy

Reaction score
Visit site
I want protection but it is just too hot.
I am unable to stand the heat and even putting on a mesh jacket seems too much for me in the Florida summers.

Just got the new Aerostitch catalog and yea they have what they say is cool but they are not in the south and I just can't take it inside the ones I have tried.

I want a chain mail suit.
I have spent time researching chain mail and shark suits off and on. Mostly off as I get discouraged. I have not found anything that I can afford or that seems it could work.

Anybody know anything about chain mail or shark suits or something that would be truly breathable and scratch resistant.

There's a couple of downsides to Maile you should consider-
1. An entire shirt is a BEAR to put on.
2. Very limited flexibility.
3. Need to wear a heavy shirt under it or it will abrade tender spots.
4. It's HEAVY.
5. Any loose ends will scratch your Bike.
6. In a crash it will snag on almost anything.
7. (from SCA combat experience) Impact with a moving object can make the links turn up on edge and it will EAT you like scaling a fish.

You can roll your own with 14-16 gauge stainless wire from Home Despot wound around a 3/8th rod. Be prepared for several weeks of cutting and bending.
45387823_1954233621280022_8330686955809406976_n - Copy (2).jpg

I want protection but it is just too hot.
I am unable to stand the heat and even putting on a mesh jacket seems too much for me in the Florida summers.

Just got the new Aerostitch catalog and yea they have what they say is cool but they are not in the south and I just can't take it inside the ones I have tried.

I want a chain mail suit.
I have spent time researching chain mail and shark suits off and on. Mostly off as I get discouraged. I have not found anything that I can afford or that seems it could work.

Anybody know anything about chain mail or shark suits or something that would be truly breathable and scratch resistant.

If you are looking for super-stout mesh gear, I doubt you'll find anything better than the kevlar mesh at https://www.motoport.com/. It's very spendy and not all that stylish but it's strong and a half.

I've had one of their mesh suits for 4-5 years and wear it on every ride. It's a bit sun-faded now but still in overall good condition 'cause Motoport's happy to do any repairs or mods you might want for a reasonable price.

I went down on some 2-3 day old chipseal a few years ago at maybe 20 mph - got a small scratch on my forearm about 4 inches long where a sharp rock chip stuck through the mesh. The gear was just fine, maybe a slight bit of burnishing where the friction was greatest. I'm a believer.

Motorcycle apparel should incorporate impact protection as well as protect us from abrasion injury. Sure it is hot but worth it in my opinion.

Anyone thinking of buying protective gear should stay away from garments incorporating Kevlar. Despite manufacturer claims and testimonies, the facts are that Kevlar is extremely UV sensitive and loses strength rapidly when exposed to sun but doesn't change appearance. The garment may look as new and have much less protection than new.

Any examination of Kevlar properties reveals this and DuPont's own material data sheet recommends storing it indoors away from windows open to sunlight.

If you are looking for super-stout mesh gear, I doubt you'll find anything better than the kevlar mesh at https://www.motoport.com/. It's very spendy and not all that stylish but it's strong and a half.

I've had one of their mesh suits for 4-5 years and wear it on every ride. It's a bit sun-faded now but still in overall good condition 'cause Motoport's happy to do any repairs or mods you might want for a reasonable price.

I went down on some 2-3 day old chipseal a few years ago at maybe 20 mph - got a small scratch on my forearm about 4 inches long where a sharp rock chip stuck through the mesh. The gear was just fine, maybe a slight bit of burnishing where the friction was greatest. I'm a believer.

While I completely agree with what you said, he's complaining of mesh being too hot in Florida. Motoport's armor it's larger than most (covers forearm and shins) plus there's armor I haven't seen in order gear (ribs). At the end of the day, it's the hottest mesh I've ever worn but I won't ride without it. Maybe a call to them could find a cooler solution? They have pants (not over-pants) which would be the coolest option for the lower half. Or get the over-pants and wear shorts.

Personally, it's uncomfortably hot at stop lights in July/August but so is most gear. It was also miserable on my way from New Orleans to KY a few years ago (98° on a Voyager XII) and I stopped to soak my Under Armour shirt every hour or two.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have head of people wetting their clothes with their gear to get evaporative cooling. It thought there were some threads on the forum about this.

While I completely agree with what you said, he's complaining of mesh being too hot in Florida. Motoport's armor it's larger than most (covers forearm and shins) plus there's armor I haven't seen in order gear (ribs). At the end of the day, it's the hottest mesh I've ever worn but I won't ride without it. Maybe a call to them could find a cooler solution? They have pants (not over-pants) which would be the coolest option for the lower half. Or get the over-pants and wear shorts.

Personally, it's uncomfortably hot at stop lights in July/August but so is most gear. It was also miserable on my way from New Orleans to KY a few years ago (98° on a Voyager XII) and I stopped to soak my Under Armour shirt every hour or two.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

True about the size of Motoport's armor. In the end, when you need it, that's probably a good thing but if you don't want to, you don't have to wear the armor that comes with their gear (pressure suits, strap-on elbow & knee pads etc. instead) I just go with the overpants and shorts approach but the shin pads and thigh pads do cut airflow substantially. Shifting position to change airflow patterns helps a bit.

This is heavy gear and I feel really armored up whenever I put it on. And having gotten used to it, and experienced that 20 mph slide across a cheese grater, I now feel very vulnerable indeed if I try to substitute a light mesh jacket, even when it's got elbow, shoulder, and back pads.

On a hot day here in Arizona, an evaporative cooling vest saturated with water does a reasonable job of keeping your core coolish as long as you're moving and regularly re-saturate the vest. But it's dry here so this might not help much, if at all, on a hot and humid day in Florida. There is a good argument that mesh is worse for cooling when the ambient temp is above body temperature, heating you up rather than cooling, and if I didn't have some form of workable evaporative cooling I think I'd take it to heart.

Every once in a while I toy with the notion of a vest with small tubing running through it (similar to the heating wires in a heated vest) hooked up to a small 12V bilge pump that's set in a 6-pack cooler full of ice. Sounds awkward at best but I do have something similar that I used to ice down my knee after a joint replacement operation so there's some proof in principle there. I think I vaguely remember seeing something like this for constructions workers too.

CapeMan said:
Every once in a while I toy with the notion of a vest with small tubing running through it (similar to the heating wires in a heated vest) hooked up to a small 12V bilge pump that's set in a 6-pack cooler full of ice. Sounds awkward at best but I do have something similar that I used to ice down my knee after a joint replacement operation so there's some proof in principle there. I think I vaguely remember seeing something like this for constructions workers too.

Dad built and uses exactly that down here in the lower desert. He’s quite happy with it!

…..hooked up to a small 12V bilge pump …...

When my dad retired from the navy he said he was going to start hauling an anchor inland until someone asked him what it was, and that is where he would settle down. As "bilge pump" is a nautical term and you live in Arizona, can you relate or is ocean front property in Arizona now a reality? ;)

Last edited:

Thanks.
It doesn't look that "open" but I guess it is.
Will look into it.

Sense the topic has been brought up, any experienced or educated opinions on this jacket?

Klim Induction Jacket - RevZilla

Looking at getting the silver if I get back to riding before winter

I got one Xmas a year ago, so one full year of riding in NC. It flows a lot of air and I was comfortable most of the time wearing a compression shirt underneath. Nothing helps when your at a stoplight in 95/95 weather, but that’s rare for me because I ride for pleasure not commuting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sense the topic has been brought up, any experienced or educated opinions on this jacket?

Klim Induction Jacket - RevZilla

Looking at getting the silver if I get back to riding before winter
I have a Klim APEX Air, which is the step up from the INDUCTION in the Klim product line.

The APEX flows a lot of air but it has panels that can be closed. The INDUCTION is a full mesh jacket with no closing panels. If I was riding in hot humid conditions like the southern US states then I would choose the INDUCTION as it flow more air than the APEX. Hard to criticize Klim quality, it is top notch. There are other premium brands but our various pieces of Klim gear really stand out.

I live in a place where June through September it's pretty much a no-go for bikes (typically 110F+ during the day, up to 120F, with humidity kicking in as the sun sets).

I don't think there's any protection in which you won't be soaking in sweat after wearing it for 5min. Riding 60+mph and the wind that's supposed to cool you is feeling like a hair drier.

My riding gear is exclusively summer weather, it has pretty good airflow, but that doesn't help (much). If you ever stop at a red light - you're dead (poetically said). If you want to go to work, you'd have to shower and change when you arrive, and most workplaces don't enable us to do that :)

All I can say to help is this:

1) TCX Street Ace Air Shoes - RevZilla I have these boots and they are the best piece of equipment I have. Sturdy, somewhat stylish, awesome air flow, not expensive. They are a little narrow (which is perfect for me since I have a narrow foot). You will cook in your helmet/jacket, but not in these boots, I can tell you that. Wearing them for a year in a hot desert climate (Qatar).

2) Spread your legs when you're riding, and I mean spread them as wide as you can. Yeah, not a hugely helpful advice, but if you haven't tried it, please do. Otherwise, your man-parts will cook between yourself and leather seat. This isn't just a comfort issue - being too warm too often down there may cause Epididymitis - Wikipedia (I've experienced it myself), no joke about that. Not saying you should ride with your legs spread as a ballerina all the time, just saying it does add a great cooling airflow where you need it most.

3) Get a helmet with great airflow. I have a modular one, it's fine, but I wouldn't rate it 5/5. I do not raise the chin guard when riding, for safety. I've learned a lot about hot weather (sometimes spend a few hours at an oil & gas plant at a crazy hot summer), and one thing that's the most important is keeping your head as cool as possible... I can tell you this, if you could hypothetically splash your head and crotch with cold water every few minutes (in very hot weather), your body wouldn't feel too hot at all.

I live in a place where June through September it's pretty much a no-go for bikes (typically 110F+ during the day, up to 120F, with humidity kicking in as the sun sets).

I don't think there's any protection in which you won't be soaking in sweat after wearing it for 5min. Riding 60+mph and the wind that's supposed to cool you is feeling like a hair drier.

My riding gear is exclusively summer weather, it has pretty good airflow, but that doesn't help (much). If you ever stop at a red light - you're dead (poetically said). If you want to go to work, you'd have to shower and change when you arrive, and most workplaces don't enable us to do that :)

All I can say to help is this:

1) TCX Street Ace Air Shoes - RevZilla I have these boots and they are the best piece of equipment I have. Sturdy, somewhat stylish, awesome air flow, not expensive. They are a little narrow (which is perfect for me since I have a narrow foot). You will cook in your helmet/jacket, but not in these boots, I can tell you that. Wearing them for a year in a hot desert climate (Qatar).

2) Spread your legs when you're riding, and I mean spread them as wide as you can. Yeah, not a hugely helpful advice, but if you haven't tried it, please do. Otherwise, your man-parts will cook between yourself and leather seat. This isn't just a comfort issue - being too warm too often down there may cause Epididymitis - Wikipedia (I've experienced it myself), no joke about that. Not saying you should ride with your legs spread as a ballerina all the time, just saying it does add a great cooling airflow where you need it most.

3) Get a helmet with great airflow. I have a modular one, it's fine, but I wouldn't rate it 5/5. I do not raise the chin guard when riding, for safety. I've learned a lot about hot weather (sometimes spend a few hours at an oil & gas plant at a crazy hot summer), and one thing that's the most important is keeping your head as cool as possible... I can tell you this, if you could hypothetically splash your head and crotch with cold water every few minutes (in very hot weather), your body wouldn't feel too hot at all.
Air conditioned helmet

ACH-1 | Air Conditioned Helmets
– Feher Helmets

I haven't got one yet but I'm close to getting one

And for the frying your eggs on the seat problem, try installing a sit-n-fly, it's a mesh seat cover usually used by dirt bikes, eliminates swamp butt, you get air flow all the way under your butt and thighs, highly recommend.
I've had one installed on my NC for over 2 years and 50,000-60,000 miles, it works and the first one I installed still works and looks like the day I installed it

Back