• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I think I can do it

retroman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Folks:

Just got a 2012 NC and I love it. Nice to ride a bike at 60mph and not be concerned that the buzzing piston are screaming in there. Anyway, the rear brakes feel as tho they are not stopping the bike as they should. Both shoes are moving as I apply the pedal but there is no way that they could get the rear tire to "skid". The pedal feels solid (no air in the line) but I have to use the front brakes to get a quick stop.
I am competent in doing bike repairs but would hesitate to drain the rear brake lines if there is a proportioning valve involved (I'm a former ST 1300 rider). Bleeding the ST was a chore, Is this job on the NC a simple matter? Any ideas on what else to check?

Bob

The rear brake is very poor on the NC so I suspect your expectations are too high. You can try a more aggressive pad material. I tried EBC HH pads but it made next to no difference.
You can lock the rear brake but you will need to stamp on it hard to get the ABS to kick in.

Hey Folks:

Just got a 2012 NC and I love it. Nice to ride a bike at 60mph and not be concerned that the buzzing piston are screaming in there. Anyway, the rear brakes feel as tho they are not stopping the bike as they should. Both shoes are moving as I apply the pedal but there is no way that they could get the rear tire to "skid". The pedal feels solid (no air in the line) but I have to use the front brakes to get a quick stop.
I am competent in doing bike repairs but would hesitate to drain the rear brake lines if there is a proportioning valve involved (I'm a former ST 1300 rider). Bleeding the ST was a chore, Is this job on the NC a simple matter? Any ideas on what else to check?

Bob
2012 DCT models sold in the USA have combined ABS brakes with a three piston front caliper. 2012 manual transmission models have independent front and rear brake systems with no ABS. Which model do you own?

The NC rear brake always feels a little weak but the front brake is strong. Your observations may be normal. Despite the seemingly lightweight braking system, the NC still turns in repectable stopping distance numbers with the stock equipment.

Honda's of late have always had weak rear brakes imo. I complained (as did many others) about the rear brake on both of my CB 1100s. A Honda factory tech rep rode the second bike declaring it " normal". My NC 750X feels the same as the CB, so I never complained. Btw I had the front and fear brake fluids replaced after a year and a half but it made no difference in effectiveness. I always use both brakes, but in January had to replace my front brake pads, while my rear pads are still good.

My Yamaha 400 Majesty scooter on the other hand, had an awesome rear brake.

Thanks for the response. The bike is a 2012 with a manual transmission.
Then, to answer your original question, there is no proportioning valve.

Anyone else barely touches the rear brake?

Because they are linked, I find the bike doesn't really dive forward, even with hard braking.

Linked brakes weren't 'standard' across the several generations and regions. Until you check your bike itself, I'd assume they'd wouldn't be linked as default.

Anyone else barely touches the rear brake?

Because they are linked, I find the bike doesn't really dive forward, even with hard braking.
As HarveyM wrote, perhaps your brakes are linked, as a minority of NCX brakes were. The OP identified their model and country market, and the brakes on that subject motorcycle are not linked front to rear.

For the NC700 Combined Brakes (soon forgotten) in the US were only on the NC700XD models.
Outside the US, they were used on the NC700XA/XD/SA/SD models.
I don't remember what year Honda decided not to use this system anymore. My 2015 CTX700ND already has a simplified version of the brakes.

Capture.JPG

For the NC700 Combined Brakes (soon forgotten) in the US were only on the NC700XD models.
Outside the US, they were used on the NC700XA/XD/SA/SD models.
I don't remember what year Honda decided not to use this system anymore. My 2015 CTX700ND already has a simplified version of the brakes.

View attachment 51544
Correct, on the USA NC700X, truly linked brakes with three piston front caliper were only featured on DCT (2012 and 2013) models. I can’t speak in terms of model years for other market regions, but a quick look at a parts listing would tell. In later years Honda marketing began using a slight variation on the term, touting Combined ABS. After much debate on the forum, I think we decided that the later marketing flimflam referred to single channel vs dual channel ABS, but did not mean the brake systems were linked such that one pedal/lever activated more than one brake. I guess one could confirm that by raising both wheels off the ground, and operating the brake lever or pedal to see what the effects were.

Back