• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I need advice for the NC750X

Walter

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the NC750X, but ive never tried it. I ride a z750 2008 but i want to buy something to go on a long rides with my girl. I heard a lot of guys saying stuff like lack of power, low hp, but that doesent matter. For everyday ride i think its a great motorcycle but how is it with passenger and luggade, and on long trips, can you give me any advices, tips, and please share your experience.
Thank you.

My simple answer would be that the pillion perch on the NC is not suitable for a pillion for anything other than short commutes. Also for long trips with a pillion and luggage etc the rear shock especially would need attention.

Take a look at allowable weight capacities. They are low for his bike. I can't remember the exact GVWR, but you may exceed it when you add a pillion and enough gear for a long trip. The last time I looked at them, I recall that I could take enough gear for a trip or passenger, but not both

That said, it is a very capable light touring bike. I've gone on may multi-week rides with camping gear on mine, but I always went alone

The 750X is showing a GVWR of 910 lbs., that's a carrying capacity of 432 lbs. Not too bad but of course running any vehicle at 100 percent of GVW is not really a great idea for long trips. And don't forget that does not include the weight of the luggage and associated brackets themselves. Coupled with a passenger seat the size of a paperback novel and you are looking at an uncomfortable ride for both.

Hello. I just finished a 2,246 mile trip from Fort Worth, TX to Clinton, MS, to Prattville, AL, to Cleveland, TN, to Murfreesboro, TN to Tupelo, MS, back to Fort Worth, TX. I cannot comment about someone on the pillion, but I certainly can comment on the others. Note that it's a 2020 NC750X, non-DCT model

1. All things considered, it rides well. I had a mix of Interstate (I-20), Smoky Mountain roads, twisties, country lanes and county highways. It motors along and I had no problem keeping up with traffic.

2. For gas mileage, you'll want to go to a higher gear which makes the ride a little vanilla. Not boring, mind you, but it wants to run at a lower RPM for sure. That makes it very quiet and can seem boring to some. BTW - from the pic below, you can see that I averaged 61.2 miles per gallon, which is crazy when you think that from North Central Texas to Clinton, MS, I was averaging anywhere from 75 to 82 mph!

3. Weight: I weigh 155 pounds and as you can see from the other photo attached, I have Givi engine guards Givi Outback Trekker panniers and some Denali lights. The engine guards and Denali's together weigh, say, 10 pounds total. Each pannier weighs 8.82 pounds and then each pannier can carry a max of 30 pounds (manufacturer's specs and I was at exactly 30 pounds each). The Pannier racks weigh, say, 5 pounds, so that put the additional weight on my bike at 248. I had no problem keeping up with traffic and yes, it was a little less nimble with the panniers on, however I will say the added weight made for more road stability when passing an 18-wheeler at 80 mph on I-20.

4. Tips:

a. I noticed that holding down the throttle at 80 mph was tiresome; it requires more force than my Bonneville to twist the throttle, so I am glad I have cruise control on the bike.

b. I bought some relatively cheap highway pegs to put on the engine guards. Those were a godsend as we averaged 400 miles per day. My buddy has a bad knee and every day he told me how jealous he was when he could see me stretch my legs out. From my perspective, the stock seat isn't very comfortable and being able to put feet on the highway pegs shifted the weight off my arse, while getting the wind into the groin area (sorry to be graphic). Alternatively, I could really stretch out and have my achilles heels on the pegs which allows airflow up the pant legs. Again, in 90+ degrees every day, that certainly helps.

c. My Bonnie didn't have hazard lights and I certainly improved my visibility in three different rainstorms by putting on hazards in heavy storms, as well as flipping on the Denali lights.

I hope this helps; get the bike if you really aren't concerned about a passenger. If you are, I cannot comment.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_113600.jpg
    IMG_20200707_113600.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20200710_180121.jpg
    IMG_20200710_180121.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 47
I only have 48,000 miles on my 700x, some 5,000 of which are long distance two-up touring.

The short answer is: it's passable.

The only time it lacked power was climbing mountains at high speed. It's always able to do the speed limit, but accelerating takes longer going up.

The real problem is the size. The pillion seat is small, and the passenger pushes the rider forward into the frunk. Especially after a half hour of bumping around. If you aren't particularly tall, it may not be as much of an issue, but I already find my knees bend too far for hours of comfort. Freeway pegs would help. Doing the seat-angle mod would also.

It's a great bike, we both love it, but it's only our touring bike for now. A Goldwing is the big dream, and/or a FJR1300. Competely different design philosophies and I'm not getting rid of my nc700 until it's unsalvageable.

Solo touring is quite nice. Gas mileage is fantastic. The weight is well balanced and low.

If you have any specific questions I can answer, let me know

Last edited:
For long rides ... long means days? or hours? 2 up tourer its the wrong bike. couple hours - no problem. Also depends a lot on the passenger and her tolerance to pillions in general. Lot of larger bikes not any better. Proper touring machine for touring though. if you cant afford new, consider used market. Of course you have my permission to buy two bikes lol!!

A full day of riding with a break every hour makes a big difference for both riders.

The situation I had is that once my passenger got a ride on a Goldwing, every other bike in Honda’s lineup was unacceptable. I would agree. The pillion accommodations on most modern day motorcycles are awful, except on dedicated touring motorcycles. I would never ask my spouse to ride as a passenger on an NC7x0X. I have thus removed the passenger dinner plate sized seat and installed a luggage rack in it’s place.

Back