• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I hate climbing in the tent. My way to solve the problem?

Cigar Mike

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But I love camping. The problem for me is my knees are not cooperating when I have to get down on my knees to climb in the tent. Other that that one issue I seem to be doing fine for a 66 year old man. After seeing the trailer build by northwestrider I have been considering fabricating a trailer. When I camp my better half is with me so we have no problem between the two bikes carrying all the stuff we need. So my main reason for the trailer is to get off the ground with the camping gear we have. I have ran many different plans to try and accomplish this but have not found the right combination to give me what I am looking for and still keep the trailer light enough for the NC to easily pull around. And also keeping the width down.

I first thought of a two wheel after checking out all the motorcycle pulled camping trailers. I thought I could use a truck bed tent as the tent part and make a trailer that would fold out to accommodate it. I developed a plan to do this but it was not ideal cost wise. Cost is a consideration.

It is funny what things trigger and idea. I have been looking at the portal-bote for use when we take the tent trailer out. I saw the roll out decking for the boat and thought that might be a way to make a platform. But it still doesn't solve what the put the platform on. Today I was messing with putting some items in some storage bins I just purchased. I have seen many trailers made using different bins. But one bin did not help much for my plans. I have many bins stacked inside one another until ready to use. These bins are very sturdy but light and can be stacked loaded at least three high when filled.
The bins are 30"x20"x14 1/2"tall. Each bind and lid adds 2" to the overall height when stacked inside one another. I am figuring I will need six bins to support the platform required to support my Eureka three man tent. That should make the containers 24" tall when mounted on the trailer. I feel that the overall height is acceptable for the trailer.

I will post pictures and report success or failure of this protect here in this thread. I have the materials needed to fabricate the trailer. I do have a complete xt225 motorcycle less the engine and will take from it what I need for suspension. I am considering making the brake functional on the trailer as well.

First step will be to make sure the platform will work out using the bins. If it won't work that will stall the project until I figure it out. Since it is winter and we aren't very busy. It gives me something to do and may provide a laugh or two for you.

I have to head out and get the bins.

Cheers,

Mike

Totally hear you on the knees and bending thing with tents

Any thoughts towards a taller tent such as one of the redverz styles, and helinox type cots?

web-IMG_6960.jpg

HighCot2-zm.jpg

Bourbon. Drink enough you wont have to climb in, you can just fall in.

The Redverz (or however it is spelled) would seem like a good one, provided you have enough space to haul it.

Both are good ideas. But with the gear I already have, which is good quality. I would like to use it. I have a Big Agnes double, zero sleeping bag that has the air mattresses that slide in pockets. The three person Eureka tent is a good one. Everything works very well for us.

Cost so far is $58 for the six bins. I am pretty sure I will be able to build this for close to $100-$125. To buy additional gear as suggested I believe would be much more. It might be different if I didn't have most of what I need. If this does not work out. It may be what we have to do.

I was thinking today about what other uses would there be with a trailer with 27 gallons of carrying capacity. I could unload and put one bin back on and get firewood, a lot of beer and pretty much anything else you would like.

The bins I bought today are marginally smaller and I am going to see if one in front of the other will work. It would double storage and reduce height. The trailer would be about 28" wide in that configuration instead of 20" wide.

If it doesn't snow tomorrow I will start testing the platform.

"The problem for me is my knees are not cooperating when I have to get down on my knees to climb in the tent."

Camping chair is the best tool I have found to aid in getting in and out of the tent.

Chair.jpg

So roughly five feet by five feet by 14.5 inches tall? Will you be putting a sheet of something stiff like luan plywood on top? I guess that's what the lids are for. Will you have to tie them together at the tops of the two inside corners to keep them together?

78x91" or 67"x120" depending on what tent I decide will be best. Bins have slots at rim which will aid on platform placement and securing addition loads while traveling if required.

Speaking of chairs. The Helinox chairs and their copies are popular. They are light and pack small but will empty your wallet. I just bought two chairs that are similar but in steel. They are heavy in comparison but are huge. I have plenty of room at 6' tall and 240 pounds. I would say they are actually roomy. At $58 for two chairs I can live with a couple extra pounds. I got them at Amazon, no tax and free shipping.

61n1zc-PoaL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited:
Have you considered a camping hammock?

You don't have to go down to get into one, provided you have a place to hang it (which really hasn't been as large of a problem for me as you'd think it might be) you just need to spread it open and sit. Getting out of them is a challenge for some people (my father tried my hammock and I needed to help him get out, not sure if that was a practice thing, or broke his back in the late 80's thing.)

My hammock takes up less space in my luggage than my tent. If you are worried about places to hang it not being available there are solutions for that as well, like World lightest hammock stand - Handy Hammock

A simple tarp will keep you dry, and your sleeping bag and sleeping mat will keep you warm (though it's not the best solution for hammock insulation, imho)

Not for everyone, but when I'm solo I love the hammock, so much easier on my back than the ground even with a big thick air pad.

I have followed the camping thread at ADV and there are many posts sighting the benefits on using hammocks. It might not work so well with the two person sleeping bag we use. I do own one I take with us when we travel with truck and trailer. I prefer laying flat. But for solo camping on light bikes it seems like a good option.

WIN_20160115_104354.jpg

These are the bins I plan on using. I did a layout today get and idea of materials and methods for supporting the platform. Taking into consideration how the platform would be broke for loading on the trailer. It appears that the lightest and simplest way for more support is to add three more bins. I hope it will make breaking the platform down and still have ample support.

I think I will use 1/4" or 5/32" plywood for the platform. I had an old sheet of 5/32" and I stood on it and crawl on it to see if would support the weight at the spends. I spared you the picture of an old man crawling around.

I did take the time to pack all my camping gear in the bin to make sure the was no issue. I did not want to build this and then have to strap something on top.

I use a big walk in tent that is 6' tall and I sleep on a huge REI cot that is about 1.5' off the ground and I bring in my camp chair so I never need to be on the ground..just like home !!.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

I use a big walk in tent that is 6' tall and I sleep on a huge REI cot that is about 1.5' off the ground and I bring in my camp chair so I never need to be on the ground..just like home !!.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

Now what is the fun in that? If I did something like that it wouldn't make any sense in what I am trying to do. Oh, I see your point. But I never let facts interfere with a project once my mind is made up.

I guess if nothing else it gives this retired steamfitter something to work on. I figure I can always use the storage containers for their intended purpose. The golf course is closed and I am starting to get cabin fever. Plus this also gives the rest of you something to shake your head about. In other words. In is fun.

My friend thinks I am crazy anyway, since I can drive anywhere I want to go with my truck and trailer and just bring the bikes. He may have a point also.

Cheers,

Mike

This came to mind when I read your first post but, I couldn't find the video on YouTube:

*Trillium hammock | Tentsile

First major problem is you need three widely spaced trees. This won't work without trees.

That is a neat idea if you are camping out in the boonies. It does limit you when you want to stay in State or National parks. Here in Colorado you are not allow to hang anything on the trees in the Park. We do like camping in different camp grounds for the use of water and showers. We also like camping out in the boonies but not for more than a night or two.

As with most projects, I do change directions. So today I decided to change the design from using a motorcycle swing arm and shock to a torsion axle suspension. One of the reasons is I want to use a tubeless tire and also shorten the trailer. I am going to use a 250 pound rated axle which I hope will be soft enough for the trailer. I have watched videos of this type of axle being used on a two wheeled motorcycle trailer and I like the way it seemed to work. The bad part is that it did add cost to trailer. I now have spent $220 on this and have not struck an arc yet.

If it gets above 30 degrees tomorrow I hope to complete most of the platform. Then start working on the frame. Hopefully the axle will be here by then.

I have not yet determined if I will connect to the swing arm of the bike or fabricate a support from the frame of the bike. How heavy the trailer is when loaded may determine that. I was reading northwestrider build thread last night on ADV to see how much weight he had when loaded. It sounded like he was at 110 to 120 pound range. I will ask northwestrider for impute when I get an idea of how much my trailer will weigh. He has put some miles on his with favorable results.

I started working on the platform today. I have it to where it breaks down in four sections that are 46 1/2" long by 20" wide. I have a fair amount of work to tie everything together and add some support. I went with pretty light plywood so I am not sure it will work out. Hopefully I will know more tomorrow. I am thinking I should have gone thicker. I wanted to keep the weight down and needed to find out what I could get away with. I know where the to buy the lumber if it is too light.

WIN_20160117_145420.jpg

WIN_20160117_144145.jpg

WIN_20160117_144231.jpg

Made sure the tent would fit. The access to the tent is not as hard on the knees like this. But with the rainfly it is not fun.

Last edited:
Back