• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I finally put a deposit down on a 2016 NC700X DCT ABS...

supertux1

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After a long fall and winter of test riding various year models and versions of this bike, researching it, even buying on sale farkles etc... I went to the dealer with intent to buy, negotiated a price and put some cash down. They tried hard to get me on a 2015 they wanted to move but when their best price on the 2015 was only a couple hundred less than the best they could do on the 2016, I balked at it. Thank you Honda! :)

I had an envelope of cash on the table the whole time and cards from other dealerships in with it. The salesman does the thing where he has to run back and forth to the sales manager to approve this change or that, and when he left I knew they were watching me, so I'd thumb through the cash and other dealership cards.

I normally like to negotiate OTD price on new vehicles, but sometimes it is easier to talk price before tax title and license because those are non-negotiable anyway. This is one of those weird states where doc fees, if they decide to charge them, have to be the same for every customer, legally. So I told them to reduce the price accordingly if they were going to do that. So that's what we did. I had Excel on my cellphone, he had a hand held calculator. :)

I'm not sure what the forum's policy on posting numbers is, so I won't do it, but the price negotiated (without TTL) was less than MSRP.
I made them take delivery fee, doc fee and setup fee out of their profits which I think is the cost of doing business. I'm handing them a sale and they don't need to move a bike off the floor.

With front end profit minimized, and no trade in, FI guy tried really hard to get me to do dealer financing and make a little on the backend. He said they could get me the same or better rate than my CU, bank, etc... I told him I really hadn't figured out how I wanted to pay for it just yet, just recently arriving at a price, that'd I'd shop the loan, or just show up with cash when the bike arrived. He persisted. I stopped being so nice and said 'Hey, look, I know you get a cut for every loan you originate, but when I borrow money, if I borrow money, I like to chose my lender and my rate and I don't want any hard hits on my credit report from you today.' (My credit is excellent.)

Next he tried to sell me on extended warranties and maintenance plans. Said that a first maintenance would be $350 and would need valve adjustments. I know this to be untrue for the NC700X so I just laughed. I just said 'Let's talk about all that when the bike gets here.'

We'll see how pushy they are again with extras when the bike comes in and it's time to pay for it, but I'm not having any of it. :)

I've learned a lot about dealing with dealers over the years (at least I think I have). I'm looking forward to the next time. It's quite a game, isn't it?

BTW, members freely post prices here so you're free to do so if you wish. Everybody get a "good deal", at least they always say so.

Last edited:
I've learned a lot about dealing with dealers over the years (at least I think I have). I'm looking forward to the next time. It's quite a game, isn't it?

BTW, members freely post prices here so you're free to do so if you wish. Everybody get a "good deal", at least they always say so.

It is quite a game. I'm used to playing it with car dealers and bike dealers aren't any different.

I got $7999 + TTL, or around $8550 OTD. They weren't willing to do MSRP 'OTD' so I figured they make $500-$750 in profit off this one. Fair.

Congrats Supertux!

When buying mine there really wasn't much room to negotiate since it was more "put your money down if you want one" given the DCT is new to Canada. That said I did notice on the invoice that they had cut a couple of hundred bucks off the total with the accessories that I wanted added in (OEM grips and frunk DC outlet).

Given that the $US price for my bike is actually about $500 below the US list for a 700X DCT ABS, I was actually concerned about Honda increasing the Canadian cost to compensate for our dollar being in the crapper.

So, I think I got a great deal lol!

I bought my DCT second hand from the dealer who sold it new 31 miles earlier. The guy who bought it the first time took it for a test ride, came back and wanted a center stand and frunk acc. plug added, which they did. He then phoned in the evening saying that his wife will divorce him if he brings the bike home. So they sold the same bike twice, and I think I got a good deal at 6500 out the door.

While filling out the paperwork the finance guy told me I should get a new helmet with my new bike. I replied that I will stick with my used helmet for my used bike.

I called around to different dealers getting OTD prices without title, tax and tags. They knew I was out of state and not spending time going back and forth on prices. Did a fly and ride to somewhere I needed to go anyway so airfare not an added expense. Buying out of state dealer did not have to collect any tax, title fees and such and I paid at my home state DMV. Bought is 600 miles from home and had 2,000 miles on it when I got home. I rode 600 miles local in first 3 days and had first service before I left town.

At the time a couple of the best deals were Brookhaven Honda in Brookhaven, MS, Southern Honda in Chattanooga and where I bought it in Virginia. Winchester, Virginia was the better trip and where I purchased but the dealer closed down 6 months later when he got divorced.

Congrats Supertux!

When buying mine there really wasn't much room to negotiate since it was more "put your money down if you want one" given the DCT is new to Canada. That said I did notice on the invoice that they had cut a couple of hundred bucks off the total with the accessories that I wanted added in (OEM grips and frunk DC outlet).

Given that the $US price for my bike is actually about $500 below the US list for a 700X DCT ABS, I was actually concerned about Honda increasing the Canadian cost to compensate for our dollar being in the crapper.

So, I think I got a great deal lol!

Yes with some models, especially new ones, you're going to pay MSRP or close to if you really want it, and sometimes more if it's in demand.

Depends on your area too. Usually if you present a no-risk all profit sale to a dealer they'll work with you to get a reasonable price.

They don't have to pay any costs to market it (eg floor space) because you're there already cash in hand and that's worth something.
Some newer models they won't take a risk on and order a floor model if they perceive no demand for them and I think the DCT is like that.

I bought my DCT second hand from the dealer who sold it new 31 miles earlier. The guy who bought it the first time took it for a test ride, came back and wanted a center stand and frunk acc. plug added, which they did. He then phoned in the evening saying that his wife will divorce him if he brings the bike home. So they sold the same bike twice, and I think I got a good deal at 6500 out the door.

While filling out the paperwork the finance guy told me I should get a new helmet with my new bike. I replied that I will stick with my used helmet for my used bike.

I decided I wanted to ride motorcycles and have no wife to stop me. However, my girlfriend said she was 'terrified' when she heard the news so I might be in the market for a new one of those as well. :p At the very least I'm removing the passenger footpegs, throwing them in a box and losing the box.

I decided I wanted to ride motorcycles and have no wife to stop me. However, my girlfriend said she was 'terrified' when she heard the news so I might be in the market for a new one of those as well. :p At the very least I'm removing the passenger footpegs, throwing them in a box and losing the box.

Put one of Dale's racks on in place of the passenger seat, but keep the pegs. I often ride with my heels on them, or put my feet back there for a little bit to have a different position for a bit on a long ride.

congrats Supertux1. Looks like DCT is a very popular option. Just too bad you guys dont get the 750. Chillrider and I bought a NC750X DCT around the same time. Tho i was first and he is stealing >MY< bike :)

I had been negotiating with the dealer Chillrider bought his at and also a dealer closer to home (who i did buy from) I had a trade in 2015 Yamaha Majesty. I figured out the price out the door i would accept and what i would
accept for a trade. I had a high number and low number for each. All said and done the dealer met my trade in max and went over it by almost $200 and my lowest out the door price was also lower by $200.

Of the two dealers. The one i bought from is getting only 2 NC750X DCT and the one Chillrider bought at is only getting 1. The only bad is that we now have to wait until at least end of April.

Thanks!

I wish we would get the 750 but not for the slight increase in power, but for the other things like the improved suspension and LED head light etc...

Can you get any other color than 'silver' on the 750 in Canada?

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to performance wise are what the two new S modes are like. That and the muffler and screen. Two fewer things I'd have to replace, so all that went into the decision over the 2015.

I wish we would get the 750 but not for the slight increase in power, but for the other things like the improved suspension and LED head light etc...

Can you get any other color than 'silver' on the 750 in Canada?

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to performance wise are what the two new S modes are like. That and the muffler and screen. Two fewer things I'd have to replace, so all that went into the decision over the 2015.

Nope. Honda is taking the Henry Ford approach: you can have any colour you like as long as it is BLACK (and silver).

Hi supertux1!

Glad you're joining the NC family - you're in for a treat, but I guess you know that now after test-riding it :)
You didn't say how experienced you are, so just a word of a precaution from a noob that had a slide on a 1km-old NC - watch for those tires, ride them out of the factory wax before you start cornering ;)

Other than that - hope you can get your new baby in your garage soon and enjoy the fun riding motorcycles is :)

Hi supertux1!

Glad you're joining the NC family - you're in for a treat, but I guess you know that now after test-riding it :)
You didn't say how experienced you are, so just a word of a precaution from a noob that had a slide on a 1km-old NC - watch for those tires, ride them out of the factory wax before you start cornering ;)

Other than that - hope you can get your new baby in your garage soon and enjoy the fun riding motorcycles is :)

Yeah, I'm aware of how new tires need a heat cycle or two.

I plan to spend the first few minutes with it in the dealership parking lot making sure everything works and duck walking it to get a feel for the throttle/clutch and brake.

Congratulations on the new bike. Having owned mine for a whole 7 months now, I can tell you that it's a great bike and a lot of fun to ride. And I never get tired of the fuel economy, which is significantly better than any other bike I've owned.

Hope you enjoy yours.

Congratulations supertux, I am sure you will enjoy the bike. Purchased my 2015 700XDCT from Tommy's Motorsports in Crossville Tn. $300 dollars below MSRP and no pressure on financing or extended warranty. Also 10% off accessories (new helmet and gloves) and $50 off first service. Service has been good and no problems so far. Glad to have a reasonable dealer. Good luck and ride safe!

Back