• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I broke my key for Givi side case (E-21)...

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
... and the lower part of the key got stuck in the lock. It happened when I was locking the case, so the case is closed and locked, and I don't have access to the inner side to remove the whole lock/cylinder/barrel - whatever it's called.

I already contacted Givi USA and got got their reply asking me if were I able to pick the broken part out (even I told them in my original email I didn't :D). Waiting for their next response.

I found couple "technics" on the internet but most people agree that taking to a locksmith is the best way, to avoid to make it even worse. :D

Any experience here?

The hinges on the Givi E-21's (like many Givi cases) are cheaply made. There is a thin steel pin that runs through the plastic "hinge." My suggestion is to just drive the two pins out with a small punch and lift the lid off. You may still have a struggle, depending on how tight the lock tab grips the case, but it’s worth a try. Worst case maybe you can get you arm inside and unscrew the tab on the lock.

When I painted the lids on mine, it was no trouble to drive the pins out and separate the lids from the lower case.

My parent's house growing up had a key half broke off in the front door lock. Only the other half of the key could be used to lock or unlock the door, but it still worked. You may be able to either use the rest of the broken key, or (as above) a screwdriver or pliers or somethnig if all the teeth in the key are inside the lock barrel.

My parent's house growing up had a key half broke off in the front door lock. Only the other half of the key could be used to lock or unlock the door, but it still worked. You may be able to either use the rest of the broken key, or (as above) a screwdriver or pliers or somethnig if all the teeth in the key are inside the lock barrel.
This is my suggestion as well. I fully expect it to work. What do you have to lose? In for a penny...

If the broken key is fully inserted in the lock, can you not turn it with a screwdriver in the key slot, or pliers if some portion of the key is raised?
About a half a key is/was still in the lock, deep buried. I was trying to stick in needles and some other thin stuff but couldn't pull it out.
But the half was kind of enough to, with some help of flat screwdriver and some force :D, to just"open" the lock. I believe I can now take out the cylinder/barrel, and it's much easier to pull the broken part of the key out, but I have other plan. I found that so many people complained on broken key in Givi cases, and the material it's made of. I have 5 Givi cases, one top, 2 E21 (shorter trips) and 2 E36 (longer, camping trips). So I was thinking to ask Givi if they can make 5 "same" locks, all 5 locks use the same key. It would help A LOT! And than, regardless of they would do it or not, make the dupes from iron or something similar, something more durable. I think I read in one of the forums that people did it.
Having 2 sets 7 key each set, it's not fun at all...

I tried but the key itself couldn't do anything. Although, the broken part, that is still in, "helped" to unlock, to open the case. With screwdriver and some force too :D

This is my suggestion as well. I fully expect it to work. What do you have to lose? In for a penny...
Some people even suggested to glue the key parts back together, with some super glue. Probably would help. The problem is with the glue you can make it worse if you glue some other parts too :D

I used something along these lines to convert all of my cases to one key. Easy-peasy.
Givi does sell a few different Tumbler sets, just double check that they work for you

Depending on the style of lock, you can buy pin or wafer kits from eBay, etc. and rearrange the lock pins or wafers to match one of your keys of choice.

Side story: The majority of recreational vehicle storage bin doors use the exact same key. RV dealers freely sell the keys; they're all the same. I didn't want others to be able to unlock my RV doors. So on my RV, rather than buy 11 new locks for the bin doors, I bought a wafer kit and reconfigured all the locks for a different compatible key I happened to have from another vehicle.

So I was thinking to ask Givi if they can make 5 "same" locks, all 5 locks use the same key. It would help A LOT! And than, regardless of they would do it or not, make the dupes from iron or something similar, something more durable. I think I read in one of the forums that people did it.
Having 2 sets 7 key each set, it's not fun at all...

I bought a matching key three lock set for my Trekker Outbacks. One key for all three locks. A side benefit is having 3 sets of matching keys, so my wife and I both carry one and I have spares at home. GIVI should be able to provide a set of five.

Depending on the style of lock, you can buy pin or wafer kits from eBay, etc. and rearrange the lock pins or wafers to match one of your keys of choice.

Side story: The majority of recreational vehicle storage bin doors use the exact same key. RV dealers freely sell the keys; they're all the same. I didn't want others to be able to unlock my RV doors. So on my RV, rather than buy 11 new locks for the bin doors, I bought a wafer kit and reconfigured all the locks for a different compatible key I happened to have from another vehicle.

I watched couple of videos how to rearrange the lock pins and I'm pretty sure I would mess up something and one day, couple thousands miles from home I would not be able to open none of my cases... :D
Although, I can maybe ask a locksmith to do it for me?

Good idea.

The Last Resort: You could try drilling the cylinder out, Givi sells replacements.
I was able to unlock/open the case. Now it shouldn't be a problem to replace the locks.

The guy from tourandride.com - official Givi dealer, sent me the link with 5 locks. I asked him again if I can get 5 locks with the same lock combination and now I'm waiting for the answer.

I bought a matching key three lock set for my Trekker Outbacks. One key for all three locks. A side benefit is having 3 sets of matching keys, so my wife and I both carry one and I have spares at home. GIVI should be able to provide a set of five.
I really, really hope they can offer the same...

How to convert, and how much "easy-peasy"?
Sorry to reply late, but EASY.
Once you have the case opened, you remove a couple of small screws in the interior plastic and the lock mechanism can simply be swapped out.
There are some great ideas here, but I went the easy route and just swapped out Givi replacement locks.
As Slimdude referenced, I am very eased to have a generous assortment of spare keys that all work as well.

My 5 locks set, al with the same key arrived on Friday. Looks exactly what I had in my mind.
Still didn't install any of the locks, plan to do in next couple days.

Big shout to Mark Gawron from Givi USA on very fast responses, suggestions, help, and follow up. A+ :D

Last edited:
Sorry to reply late, but EASY.
Once you have the case opened, you remove a couple of small screws in the interior plastic and the lock mechanism can simply be swapped out.
There are some great ideas here, but I went the easy route and just swapped out Givi replacement locks.
As Slimdude referenced, I am very eased to have a generous assortment of spare keys that all work as well.
One side case I as able to open, and replacing the lock should be, as you said, pretty straightforward. Although, the second side case is locked closed and I have to drill it - and hope I'm not going to ruin the case :D I watched some videos and the guy doesn't know what is he doing or I didn't get it. He kind of massacred the lock! :D

Back