• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How?

bduffey

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So my dealer tells me he should have my 700 DCT in any day now. But none of the sales staff seems real solid on how to operate the bike. I guess they don't have much experience with the DCT.

I recently traded in a 650 Suzuki Burgman with its CVT-style transmission. Does the 700 have a setting that is equal to the Suzuki in that initially I can just twice the throtle and go, not worrying about any shifting up or down until I can get more familiar with the bike?

Thanks

Bill

It has a 'D' drive mode and an 'S' sport mode which are hop on and twist the throttle......after releasing the parking brake. Then when you get home you can read the manual for the full details.

TKS, Bamamate. I assume the 'S' mode just jacks the RPM's a bit higher for each gear? Is that something I want to do on a new bike, or is running it up to redline once and a while when it's new a good thing on this type of machine?

TKS, Bamamate. I assume the 'S' mode just jacks the RPM's a bit higher for each gear? Is that something I want to do on a new bike, or is running it up to redline once and a while when it's new a good thing on this type of machine?

This is a "which oil is better" type question. Everyone has their opinion and it ends with a big fight.

Typical dealer, with little knowledge of the products they sell :mad:. I hope they didn't make much on the sale.

The manual describes the operation of the DCT. But you will release the parking brake by the left handgrip, then on the right side switchgear press the D/S button once. The display will indicate D. Then twist the throttle and ride off. The tranny will keep the bike in the usable rev range automatically. You wont be able to kill it or redline it. When you're done you can press the button for neutral, turn key off, put stand down, pull parking brake lever.

S mode is reached by pressing the D/S button a second time. Shift points will be higher. You can ride this bike any way you want to. It won't hurt it.

PS, I don't even have a DCT but on the demo rides it just took a minute to get used to it.

Greg

Last edited:
Two more options.
One: A lever on back side of right grip puts the DCT in manual mode and you shift with the paddle shifters. Still won't let you get out of rev limits and will not let you stall.

Two: Paddle shifters can be used any time to overide automatic again as long as you don't try to get outside rev limits. For exmaple minimum revs in S mode are around 3000 and paddle shifter won't go into 6th gear till over 55 mph but in D mode will allow revs down to 2000 and less than 40 mph for 6th gear. I use the paddle frequently to force down shift for engine braking or when I want to pass. Other than that pretty much let the computer control gear for me.

As stated above make sure you use parking brake especially if not on flat ground. Switch to neutral before turning off engine as a few got caught with low battery that would not switch to neutral when turning on and they could not start bike.

I am very happy with mine after 8400 miles.

Back