• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How to loose 10mpg !!.

Nortwestrider

Reaction score
Visit site
How to loose 10mpg in 3 easy steps.
Step 1..
Install lower gearing,I went down 1 tooth in front.
Step2..
Install Hippo Hands,a must for winter riding but they act like a sail.
Step 3..
Winter blend gas !!.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

How to loose 10mpg. Winter blend gas !!

I recently experienced this myself when I fueled up earlier today. My MPG between fills dropped to 52.77 verses 62.52 on the tank before. I think that the winter blend of gas has arrived in SoCal. It appears the Winter Blend has less energy per gallon verses the Summer Blend. :(

Install two 35 liter side cases and a 55 liter top case, then ride around everywhere at 80 m.p.h....

Where I fill the motorcycle up at has made a difference in mileage on every bike I have owned. The higher the octane the better the mileage. Some filling stations just have a higher octane gas for the same grade of gas. Regular gas octane is different at various filling stations, and between brands.

I recently experienced this myself when I fueled up earlier today. My MPG between fills dropped to 52.77 verses 62.52 on the tank before. I think that the winter blend of gas has arrived in SoCal. It appears the Winter Blend has less energy per gallon verses the Summer Blend. :(

According to this table: Gasoline gallon equivalent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, yes, winter gasoline blend has less energy than summer blend. But not near as much difference as your MPG would suggest. Cold weather causing the EFI to compensate probably accounts for a greater difference than the fuel blend.

The numbers on the pump are the minimum allowed for each grade, depending on what stocks were available or "too" available has an effect on the knock rating.
In the winter blends the vapor pressure limit is higher which sometimes results in an 86 octane blend that is actually 88 or 89 as some of the higher octane stocks also have a higher vapor pressure.
The blends are usually around 80,000 bbls, so that tank can go to half a dozen different tank farms before being loaded into the delivery tankers.
That is where the "special" additives for each company are loaded into the trucks, they continue to get mixed while in transit to the stations.

After driving a '70 Torino Cobra 429, '82 Mustang GT 5.0, and currently an '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS as daily drivers (averaging 10 to 18 mpg at BEST), I quit worrying about fuel mileage LONG ago. When you're in the 60 to 70 mpg range, 10 mpg isn't such a big deal. Enjoy the ride!!

I did the same and it made absolutely no difference.

Same here. In fact on my run to Barber this past year I tried 10-40 and got consecutive tanks at 81 mpg! My personal best.It was a leisurely 55 mph back road ride but 81 is still impressive for a full sized bike that can tour with ease and hustle around the Barber track without embarrassing itself. I did 12,000 miles on it this past year and I only did one tank that dipped below 60 MPG and that was a continuous 85+ MPH run in some very cold and windy weather.

The bike's mpg is sensitive to headwinds and speed but it is consistently ~70 in the mountains even when I chase full on sport bikes. Nothing can touch the combination of mileage, handling (with suspension upgrade), ease of maintenance and built in storage that the NC offers. Not a bike for everyone as the diesel-like power is a little different though the low rev, stress free motor that allows the superior mpg is my favorite feature.

I started using Texaco and Shell in all my vehicles about the time everybody went to pricing their gas the same. I liked it. Then, Shell took over a bunch of Texaco and I started using Shell more than anything. I like that, too. But even when I was buying gas at 7-11 because it was 5-10 cents cheaper per gallon, I never had a gas related problem.

We ran a tank of pure gas (no ethanol) from OK through our Prius recently. It seemed to do as well as ethanol blended.

I consistently average 73 mpg regardless of whether the bike is loaded for a trip or just going to work.
It will drop if I fill it at the Econo gas.

oh thats easy if your built like this slim fella!!

fat_biker_1.jpg

Cold weather causing the EFI to compensate probably accounts for a greater difference than the fuel blend.

+1
If you do mostly short rides like I do, this is most noticeable as it takes longer for the engine to get up to operational temp when It's cold out. Also the air temp is colder and more dense allowing more fuel per lb of air, and resulting in more power. (Too bad that that extra power is lost to crappy fuel.)

Also the air temp is colder and more dense allowing more fuel per lb of air, and resulting in more power. (Too bad that that extra power is lost to crappy fuel.)

I got that wrong. The ECU will still try to give 1 lb of fuel to 14.8 lbs of air no mater what the air temp is. The reason more fuel is used is: air is more dense and weighs more per volume at lower temps, and thus more fuel is added to each charge of air.

Back