• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How to attach tank bag to NCX

Yesterday I sacrificed an unloved magnetic tank bag for the magnets in it for this project. I found an interesting fact. In order to shield the contents of a tank bag from strong magnetic forces that will ruin or affect electronic devices (phones, GPS, watches, digital air pressure gauges, etc) the magnets sewn in the bag are arrayed and shielded in a magnet holder so they exhibit virtually no pull or magnetic force in an upward direction but rather the forces are all down against the gas tank or whatever they are attached to. Normally this would protect the contents of the tank bag. If I attach such magnets to the underside of the trunk lid to attach the tank bag I might have some of these devices in the trunk and they would be affected by the magnetic force passing down through the trunk lid from the tank bag magnets. Turning the magnets over so they face upward would affect items in the tank bag so facing them up or down does not solve the problem of affecting electronic devices.

Attaching enough metal to the lid seems to be the solution if a magnetic bag or map holder is desired.

will this do??
95550.jpg

Did you try the washers on the inside of the lid? I wonder if you could stack a few and then tape them to the under side of the lid?
Mike

Never considered placing washers inside lid. Assumed and still believe lid plastic too thick for magnets to hold. Maybe heavy duty magnets oriented to attract bag magnets would work on inside. Plastic may still be too thick to work.

The magnets in my Cortec bag with are plenty strong to attract through the 7/64" thick trunk lid. How thick are the washers? The problem is where the washers have to be there may not be room between the interior part of the trunk lid and the exterior painted piece with the complication of where the two black plastic trim pieces are. There is no room under the trim pieces at all.

Related to post #21 is the magnets in the tank bag are not shielded from affecting items in the trunk. The potential to ruin any electronic devices in the trunk makes the magnetic bag/map holder a dead end for me. Back to the drawing board.

Only some devices might be affected... Old music players with spinning hard drives, laptops with hard drives, maybe credit cards. But the field intensity drops very rapidly so items at the bottom of frunk would be OK... And only some devices affected at all. Eg the iPad has magnetic clip on cover.

I don't think it would stop me from using magnets.

Only some devices might be affected... Old music players with spinning hard drives, laptops with hard drives, maybe credit cards. But the field intensity drops very rapidly so items at the bottom of frunk would be OK... And only some devices affected at all. Eg the iPad has magnetic clip on cover.

I don't think it would stop me from using magnets.
Pass one of these magnet arrays over your phone and make sure mine won't be affected and 1000 miles from home the last thing I want affected is my credit cards. I'll work something out for a map holder, perhaps velcro on the black trim pieces.

I was working on this again tonight. I settled on using a piece of old neoprene wetsuit under an existing map pocket from my favorite tank bag. The neoprene protects the top of the trunk and provides a place to velcro the map pocket to, then that assembly will velcro to the trunk lid. The velcro will be on the black trim pieces.

Pics to come.

I found out the hard way to keep any credit or debit cards away from any magnetic source. The strip on the back of the card is wiped out by the magnetic field. From that point on, the card is useless except for purchasing over the internet. Many stores in our area no longer type in your numbers if the card won't work in the machine. Too much of a security risk they said. I sure agree with them.
Yesterday I sacrificed an unloved magnetic tank bag for the magnets in it for this project. I found an interesting fact. In order to shield the contents of a tank bag from strong magnetic forces that will ruin or affect electronic devices (phones, GPS, watches, digital air pressure gauges, etc) the magnets sewn in the bag are arrayed and shielded in a magnet holder so they exhibit virtually no pull or magnetic force in an upward direction but rather the forces are all down against the gas tank or whatever they are attached to. Normally this would protect the contents of the tank bag. If I attach such magnets to the underside of the trunk lid to attach the tank bag I might have some of these devices in the trunk and they would be affected by the magnetic force passing down through the trunk lid from the tank bag magnets. Turning the magnets over so they face upward would affect items in the tank bag so facing them up or down does not solve the problem of affecting electronic devices.

Attaching enough metal to the lid seems to be the solution if a magnetic bag or map holder is desired.

It attaches with 1 buckel up front that wraps around the steering head.Also there are 2 buckels by the seat that wrap around the frame under the seat.
It's not attatched to the frunk lid,you have to unbuckle the front one and lay the bag over on the seat to open up the frunk.
myzynany.jpg

a4aqety3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked and tried a couple of the tank bags with the hydration systems in the tank bag in March. I tried the yoke mount that you have. The extra water weight moved around too much and this short fat guy had problems getting on and off the bike with the bag in the way. I wanted something that would also let me use the fruck. I'm still looking, and still using my hydration back pack. As stated by another member, the back pack gets heavy on a long trip. If anyone comes up with a magic answer please let me know.

The best idea I've seen is on this forum. It's on a thread started by Dduelin titled Map Pocket v2.0 The thread is currently on the next page of this section. He starts out showing how he mounted a map pocket, but then shows a tank bag on the mount.

Bob

It attaches with 1 buckel up front that wraps around the steering head.Also there are 2 buckels by the seat that wrap around the frame under the seat.
It's not attatched to the frunk lid,you have to unbuckle the front one and lay the bag over on the seat to open up the frunk.
myzynany.jpg

a4aqety3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic!
Thanks for the info and the Pics. What do you generally use yours for? Might be my next investment.

Last edited:
Back