• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How tight on these Madstad windshield Phillips truss screws?

GoRovers

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I received and installed (on my 2016 NC700XD) the 20" Madstad windshield (light grey). The instructions say, "Nudge the (Phillips truss) screws into the well nuts then screw them in until they are snug, which means the screw tip has gone slightly past the back of the well nut. Do not overtighten!"

This photo shows I'm "slightly past," however the screw still turns very easily. Should I tighten the screws a bit more? The windshield feels secure, but I don't want to lose a screw (or the windshield) mid-ride.

Madstad-windshield-screw.jpg

Madstad-on-bike.jpg

I just left them not so tight, similar to what you did, they have not come loose. Tighten just till the rubber starts to bulge, it seemed like the rubber would be destroyed if I 'really' tightened them. In my humble opinion.

It looks to me like the rubber grommet was not pushed all the way into the bracket before you tightened the screw. I would loosen it off, re-seat it, and then tighten the screw again until you see a mild bulge.

You probably have the screw in about the right amount.

I put a drop of Loctite All Purpose Polyseamseal on a few threads on the end of the screw. It's enough to keep the screw from backing out, but it's very easy to remove the screw.

I would make a wild guess that many more windshields are damaged by overtightened screws than by undertightened screws!

Thank for the replies! I also called Madstad. They recommended going tighter on the screws (like Sumo said), until the well nut starts to slightly bulge.

Regarding using LocTite on the ends of the screws, Madstad recommended against that, saying the (soft) inner brass of the well nut would react poorly with LocTite, making the windshield screws difficult to remove in the future.

This afternoon I'll take the bike out for a spin, trying to figure out the best height/angle adjustment of the windshield. :cool:

This screen is also my first on the bike and had my doubts about those weird rubber mounting. But it works beautifully. The bulge keeps the screen tight on its place while still being flexible for wind gusts a.o.

Sent by Motorola Moto G 4G

Regarding using LocTite on the ends of the screws, Madstad recommended against that, saying the (soft) inner brass of the well nut would react poorly with LocTite, making the windshield screws difficult to remove in the future.

This is why I explicitly called out the type of caulk, made by Loctite I use, which is not a thread locking LocTite. For that matter there are four different types of LocTite thread lockers. Referring to LocTite, without specifying which one isn't useful.

Back