• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How LOW can you go????

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello again all you NC700 men (and of course NC700 women, too):
As I wrote in my introduction recently, I'm considering purchasing an NC700 soon. With my diminutive body (27" inseam), I'll need to lower the bike to ride it safely, because in stock form I can't touch the ground with both boots simultaneously.
I know from experience that when a bike is lowered by shortening the suspension, some not good things can happen. For example:
* When the forks are moved upwards in the triple-clamps, potentially when hitting a sharp bump or excessive braking, the fender can crash against the underside of the frame or lower clamp.
* When the rear suspension is shortened (using an aftermarket linkage), the rear wheel can crash against the underside of the frame.
* Cornering clearance is compromised and touching a footpeg in while cornering is more likely.
* The side-stand is too long and the bike sits more upright when parked.
* If a centerstand is installed, it is too long and the bike is difficult to lift onto it.
So my question is this: what's the practical limit before bad things happen? 1"? 2"? 3"? How LOW can you go?
Thanks!

I can't really answer your questions but I did just lower mine 3/4 of an inch. I haven't ridden it yet (waiting out the rain). The stock kick stand is still on it and seems to be ok on level ground, but I may shorten it anyway just for safety's sake. I have Soupy's adjustable lowering links, which claim to be able to lower the bike up to 4", but I can't imagine anyone lowering it anywhere near that much without some major problems such as you have already described. I have a 30" inseam and was barely able to flat foot the bike with it lowered 1/2" from stock. It feels much better at 3/4" for me. With a 27" inseam, I would guess that you might need some combination of lowering the bike and thicker soled boots with this bike. But maybe someone with a similar inseam as yours will offer some of their experience. Good luck...

Last edited:
I can't relate directly with 6'2" height and 34" inseam.

A good friend who couldn't handle the height of the NC 700 opted for the CTX 700 with DCT and couldn't be happier. His challenge was more getting his leg over seat than reaching ground once seated. Same drivetrain as NC but more cruiser style seating and thus lower. He does just fine on twisty mountain roads.

I don't know the exact amount for the NC. I did lower the CB500X for Cathy's using the Soupy' s. I measured how much clearance there was to determine how low it could go. Since I weld the problem with shortening the side stand or center stand is not a problem.

I lowered the rear of my NC700X by 40mm using links and the front by 12mm by lowering the forks through the yoke.
Fitted a side stand from a NC700S I picked up on an auction site.
I can still use the original centre stand OK and I've found no issues with the handling or suspension.

I lowered the rear of my NC700X by 40mm using links and the front by 12mm by lowering the forks through the yoke.
Fitted a side stand from a NC700S I picked up on an auction site.
I can still use the original centre stand OK and I've found no issues with the handling or suspension.

that's the max you can go without running into a problems with stands. i also lowered app. this much. no problem using center stand,but side stand-you always have to look twice,where you park the bike,because it stands almost vertically. strong wind will definitely knock it down

that's the max you can go without running into a problems with stands. i also lowered app. this much. no problem using center stand,but side stand-you always have to look twice,where you park the bike,because it stands almost vertically. strong wind will definitely knock it down

I second this. I lowered mine with some British company 40mm lowering links 3 years ago, front forks lowered 3/4th an inch. I replaced the kick stand with a sloppys adjustable, I inadvertently bought the 700s version of the center stand, and that mistake turned out to work great on my now lowered 700x.

I raised the front forks in the triple tree about 7/8" which probably lowered the seat about a 1/2". I then added adjustable links and adjustable side stand. I lowered the rear about the same as the front. I felt it was a little too low and raised the rear a couple of times. I probably have less that 1/2" drop on the rear and my seat is probably 3/4" down. It is much harder to pull up on the center stand now, but I can do it. I am not sure it was absolutely necessary to lower it even though I have a short inseam, but I was having a little knee problem when I did and the additional leverage was welcome. I have since had knee surgery and all is good. The fork drop would probably be sufficient.

I have a 28 inseam and my problem is mounting and dismounting. I just tip toe at stop lights. I had a dr650..so I learned to crawl on and off.

Beware of cast aluminum adjustable brackets!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My DCT received some collision/road damage to the cushion arms while, riding at hi way speeds, I went over a 'step', a lower road and a higher bridge joint. Both brackets failed, both had been set in the middle hole. Somehow the damage caused a Pandora's box of wiring and sensor damage the took the dealer months to track done and replace.

Ray

Last edited:

That happened to me last week unfortunately so be mindful. Hard lesson learned both emotionally and financially.:(

I second this. I lowered mine with some British company 40mm lowering links 3 years ago, front forks lowered 3/4th an inch. I replaced the kick stand with a sloppys adjustable, I inadvertently bought the 700s version of the center stand, and that mistake turned out to work great on my now lowered 700x.

Just what I needed to know. I'm ordering a 700S stand for mine this week. Thanks!

Just what I needed to know. I'm ordering a 700S stand for mine this week. Thanks!

from? and let us know,how it fit,by how much you lowered the bike, how far rear wheel off the ground etc.

Thank you!

Last edited:
That picture of DIY connecting rod seems very homemade and brittle.
I would never do this myself.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That picture of DIY connecting rod seems very homemade and brittle.
I would never do this myself.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mine looks even more ghetto,made from 1/4" steel bar. imo-look doesn't mean much. as long as all holes are perfectly alighned,having same exact distance and piece itself was strong enough-you should be fine
0462307c26b9.jpg

but i'm still waiting for an update regarding stands from 700S. planning to be in Canada this summer , i might pick one for my NC

Very late reply

Hello again all you NC700 men (and of course NC700 women, too):
As I wrote in my introduction recently, I'm considering purchasing an NC700 soon. With my diminutive body (27" inseam), I'll need to lower the bike to ride it safely, because in stock form I can't touch the ground with both boots simultaneously.
I know from experience that when a bike is lowered by shortening the suspension, some not good things can happen. For example:
* When the forks are moved upwards in the triple-clamps, potentially when hitting a sharp bump or excessive braking, the fender can crash against the underside of the frame or lower clamp.
* When the rear suspension is shortened (using an aftermarket linkage), the rear wheel can crash against the underside of the frame.
* Cornering clearance is compromised and touching a footpeg in while cornering is more likely.
* The side-stand is too long and the bike sits more upright when parked.
* If a centerstand is installed, it is too long and the bike is difficult to lift onto it.
So my question is this: what's the practical limit before bad things happen? 1"? 2"? 3"? How LOW can you go?
Thanks!

I've lowered mine with Kouba link 1 3/8" slid forks on triple tree by 1/2". cut side stand and center stand. I've been short my entire life. Life long stoping procedure. Just as I'm to stop I slide over to my left hip, in this way my right foot is firmly planted on to the pavement or ground when I stop, next I deploy the side stand. Good to go. I hope this is of help.

An alternative is to eat more biscuits and gravy, chess pie, and fried chicken until you can compress the suspension naturally. Worked for me :D.

I recommend that you add a skid plate as well if you are lowering. I have a 34 inch inseam so no problem with height but quite few things have bounced off my skid plate over the last year and I am super glad I put it on. It's an SW Motech.

Back