• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How Low Can You Go

I worked outside for ten years and was a ski instructor at my second job so i do like being outside in the cold (as long as i'm not shivering cold). Since i went down in 07' on some ice i usually have my cutoff at 33 degrees. Last winter my stator went out on the vStrom and the temp dipped to 23 by the time i got another battery hooked up.

i just got an Ansai heated vest so i hope to get a picture soon!

[...it was 24'F when I left the house to ride 75 miles to the Overlook restaurant...]

Is that the joint just west of Corydon, overlooking the OH River? I was told long ago that it wasn't friendly to motorcyclists...still true?
Yes, that is the restaurant. Never head of them not being motorcycle friendly, been riding there since 2007. During the summer, they have more motorcycles in their parking lot on the weekend than cars. As you can see in the pictures which Deckyon posted, numerous motorcycles were in the parking lot New Years day :)

I have ridden to work as low as 17'F, with no heated anything. Yep I was cold after the 38 mile commute (30 miles on the super slab at 70mph); however it warmed up to above freezing as was a nice ride home in the evening. My riding to work has been curtailed due to all the Ohio River bridge construction in downtown Louisville-occasionally I get the courage to ride and then the stupid cages make me wish I was in the cage and am a coward again for a few weeks. Also, when it is in the 20s or lower, my 8 miles of country highway thru a forestry is known for black ice or really frosted over roads (usually one of the first drivers thru at 0dark30 in the morning)-4 wheels safer than 2 in these conditions.

Two years ago and current record for me is 14F. Would have rode in 12F a few days later but battery was too weak from cold to start the bike. Now I put it on a trickle charger when it gets in the 20s. Rode in to 20s a lot back and forth to work.

15 degrees F (-9.5 C) on the way to work this morn. I have done my commute in 12 degrees. I do remember riding in -5 degrees F (-20.5 C) back in 1981...

3a6a780203157ff8ac70c93204695f26.jpg

Hard to tell but that sign says 24F here in famously hot Columbia, SC. Cold morning but I still rode to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

these days I tend to be a fair weather rider but in my younger days I rode in all weathers as it was my only transport.
I even rode in the snow to scarborough just to pop in the bike show room 50 miles or so.
by the time it was to go home it was freezing cold and a blizzard.
in them days we didn't have the gear like we have now.
news papers/bin liner/scarf with a flying jacket to keep warm.
leggings were the yellow fisher mans. by the time I got home could hardly feel my toes or hands. lol

i know you meant low temp but we dont have that here in israel. about 20 rainy days
a year. every year is declared a drout [not enugh water] but i guess this is mainly
a desert and thats what we get.
a picture of me and bike at the lowest place on earth.dead sea.jpg

i know you meant low temp but we dont have that here in israel. about 20 rainy days
a year. every year is declared a drout [not enugh water] but i guess this is mainly
a desert and thats what we get.
a picture of me and bike at the lowest place on earth.View attachment 28130

I visited your country once in the 80's and had a very enjoyable week touring around on a Kawasaki Z1300 with my Wife. I remember seeing a Woman diving head first into that water behind you which I assume is the Dead Sea. There are signs all round advising against it, but She found out the hard way. I was hugely impressed with Masada and the other amazing history of the country. I also remember the heat :cool:

I ride year round in Maine. December and February during school breaks I typically head to Key West, which for me as about a 3,800 mile round trip. One trip started off at 9 degrees F and it didn't get above freezing until I was in Jacksonville, FL. I can always count on freezing weather until around Virginia, but with my heated gear (socks, pants, jacket, gloves) and proper layering it isn't all that bad. I do get some strange looks on I-495 or I-95 when still in the Northeast though ;-)

I took this picture about 4 days before I left
IMG_1204-S.jpg

36 hours later I was in Coconut Grove, Miami and soon after was in Key West for a few days chillin' on the beach
IMG_1261-S.jpg

this is a good road in winter. the clowds cant pass the mountain.
but in summer its hell. even the ashsfalt [paved road] sweats....

ashsfalt

where's Beemerphile when you need him

ad = add (hello johnakay!) lol

I figured that since gidipajer ils' English is a quantum leap ahead of my Hebrew, that I would cut him some spelling slack.

Being a proper Brit, you lack any such excuse! ;)

Lee

Back to the subject. We had a little snow in the Wicklow mountains today. Temperatures in the lower regions were around 4/5C and 3C up higher. Forgive the NC substitute (poor), but as previously mentioned my NC is off the road for suspension updates currently. All in all it was a lovely day to be out.......

P1040683.jpg
P1040685.jpg
P1040686.jpg

It was 10 deg F when i pulled out this morning. The big deciding factor is snow and ice for me, i have a short commute.

Back