• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

how deep

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about riding the MABDR in 2019. I think the NC will be fine, but I was wondering about the water crossings. How deep would you think the cut off should be. I'm most worried about shorting electrical circuits. For instance, the horn. I know there are sensing circuits down low.

The various electrical connectors start at the level of the bottom of the oil sump and go up from there. Shift motor, shift angle sensor, linear solenoid valves, etc., are all low on the engine. I wouldn't get the bottom of the engine wet.

Shouldn't all those sensors be waterproof anyway? I've submerged the horn with no apparent harm. Rusted up the bearings on my back wheel though, so if you go deeper than the bottom of the hub you might consider taking things apart and re-greasing after.

Shouldn't all those sensors be waterproof anyway? I've submerged the horn with no apparent harm. Rusted up the bearings on my back wheel though, so if you go deeper than the bottom of the hub you might consider taking things apart and re-greasing after.
I took an 84 Honda Goldwing and went through water where it was pushing up the windshield. Ran ok, but coughed every once in a while later that day, then never after about three times. Bearings finally went out about 20,000 later. Went through a river later about 1.5 feet deep. Motorcycles are made to run in the rain for hours. Just don't get it high enough to get in the engine intake keep revs up if going over your muffler too. Check bearings soon after trip. How deep is your deepest crossing? Much more than 1.5 ft with a current can be trouble if it is wide. Ask yourself if you can afford to have the bike die on the trip? Is the risk worth it. I had to cross the river cause there was no way I was going back down where I came up and there was a paved road on the other side. The deep tidal flood over the road? Well I was young and I had made some brags and couldn't back down. So, I went for it and made it. So it comes down to need and comfort levels. Where's your level is all you need to know! Luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes, sure as water doesn't get into the intake the thing could probably keeping running in water up to the bottom of the frunk floor or higher. Shifting however with a DCT might be another issue. The shift motor and the shift angle sensor are at the level of the bottom the oil sump. We know the problems that these can present from threads here.

Water in the myriad of electrical connectors won't like cause a problem when it happens but after if wicks up into the conductor it sets up a corrosion issue. It's the long term view I'm taking.

Thinking back to my KLR days, the kickstand nanny switch can be problematic, not very waterproof. I rode my '01 Gold Wing through hurricane Lily. The light switches failed by the time I got home. The dealer fixed them. I left out the hurricane part.

I would be thinking of the sidestand switch as it can sometimes be a nuisance if water gets inside it. Wheel bearings are the other bugbear when they get wet. Unless sufficient momentum is kept thru the water then water can get past the dust seals on the axles and is kept in there long term eventually enabling it to get past the bearing seals.

Back