• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Houston to Indy 500

BlackCat

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode there and back. Houston to Texarkana to Little Rock to Memphis 5/13. Memphis to Nashville to Louisville to Indy 5/14.
Returned through Bloomington, Paduca, Memphis 5/30. Memphis to Little Rock to Shreveport to Houston 5/31.
I wore padded bike shorts and I did the seat mod in this forum but it was still very painful. I stopped every 90 minutes to stretch and get some relief on my butt. I will plan more stops for my next road trip and may buy an AirHog? I will also buy saddlebags because the backpack was rough on my shoulders as well.
Otherwise traffic was very nice 78-83 mph all the way. Weather was nice too, mostly.

It's possible the back pack contributed to your discomfort? The extra weight on my shoulders would have been a problem. Glad to hear of your ride.

My thoughts on seat comfort on long rides:

The #1 benefit of an aftermarket seat I believe is that they are a bit wider which does a great deal on comfort.

Custom seats get better the more saddle time you invest in them....

Best seat out there Russell Daylong... If you really need the comfort this is the best answer

Airhawk..... If you don't want to spend hundreds or even a thousand on a custom seat.... get an Airhawk and put MINIMUM air in it.... 90% of people who don't like Airhawk cushions put way too much air in it. You should almost feel your butt bottoming out on the seat when inflated properly.

I find I am able to keep extending my saddle time the longer I ride... up to about 500 or 600 miles then my butt is starting to get sore and comfort is going south.
Starting off I want to stop in the first 100 miles to get off the bike, but each stop after that I seem to be comfortable going until I have to stop for gas which is closer to 200 miles.

My advice for best comfort is have an airhawk... and rotate using it between stops, especially if you have a custom seat. The changing contact patch of your butt between the airhawk and the seat as you rotate it on and off should extend the time before your butt starts getting sore.

Having said all that on my recent ride to Arkansas I rode 2 days out and 2 days back (1000 miles each way). I split the trip at 700 miles on the long day and 300 on the short day. I had my airhawk but chose NOT to use it. I was getting some butt fatigue but not enough to put the airhawk on. BUT if I had continued any further the airhawk would have been in use.

Last edited:
Back