• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Horn on a DCT

ttttrigg3r

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems like every time I get on my Hondas, the horn always change position. Got on for my second first ride on the new 700 today, I kept honking at people but it had no effect. I couldn't hear the horn. Turned out I was pressing the shift down button. The horn is on top of of turn signals. Why Honda. Why do you do this...

Took some getting used to on the manual, as well. No telling how many times I’ve beeped the horn trying to cancel my turn signal...Still happens on occasion too! Just did it yesterday, as a matter of fact!

It is worse the other way, trying to hit the horn to warn a cage and frantically pressing on the turn signal with no effect...

That's the price to pay for DCT I guess ;)

It is worse the other way, trying to hit the horn to warn a cage and frantically pressing on the turn signal with no effect...

That's the price to pay for DCT I guess ;)

The newer button placements for the horn and turn signal are not unique to the DCT. The manual transmission versions have the same new layout.

Yeah I know. Too bad if you actually don't even have a DCT :D

OK, you’ve lost me here. The horn and turned signal locations have changed on many new Honda models from where they were in the past. The CB500X has the switches positioned like the NC700X. The CB500 doesn’t even have DCT as an option. I don’t see that DCT has anything to do with the new button placement. Apparently there’s connection here that I’m not aware of.

Last edited:
I don't know for the other Honda, but on the NC 700 and 750 the location of the horn and turn signal are unusual to make room for the DCT shift buttons. Same for the high beam pass. The non-DCT version seems to "suffer" from the odd location, without actually benefiting from the DCT. Well that is my reading.

Maybe Honda is just forcing the new layout on multiple bikes, I have a hard time getting used to it but since I have a DCT I accept the trade off :D

Last edited:
Horn and turn signal locations migrate over time. If you ride long enough you get to see the "old" location come back into vogue :)

And the horn button location is not unique to Honda. My 2009 BMW 650 GS (no longer in production) had the same horn/turn signal configuration. I have 3 motorcycles by 3 different manufacturers and horn/turn signal config is different on all 3 bikes.
There is no standard location and no law/rule which mandates their location/configuration.

If you still have the standard horn on your NC, why worry about the location of the horn button because no one can hear that horn anyhow! I have Stebel horns on both my bikes and they can get a car driver's attention.

If you still have the standard horn on your NC, why worry about the location of the horn button because no one can hear that horn anyhow! I have Stebel horns on both my bikes and they can get a car driver's attention.

That's the first mod I did this weekend. Replaced it with FIAMM. It's plenty loud now. Too bad I can't get it on my F4i too.

As a old geezer I can only think of these complaints as whining. Now when they moved the shifter from the right to the left and the brake from the left to the right, that was a major cluster phuck.

Adapt or die.

Holy smokes Dreamer. It's getting hard to even remember that far back. I'm sure I had some bike with a reverse gear pattern too. But I'm lost as to which.

And when did they start putting in five speed transmissions? I had three and fours.

My second bike had a 6 speed in 1966, a Suzuki X6 Hustler, sold it after getting drafted. I had a Triumph that had the shift on the right and brake on the left from '69 to '71 then got a Honda CB500 and had to retrain my feet back the other way. I can't remember for sure if it was a 4 or 5 speed but I think it was a 5, the Triumph was a 4 speed.

One of the early Kawasakis with small engine had what they called a "rotary shifter," if I'm not mistaken. If you kept pressing on the shifter from highway speed it eventually went back to 1st gear. Can't even guess on how many accidents that caused!

At one time when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I was a pretty fair dirt racer and could ride bikes with left side shift and right side shift in the same day. What I could never master was what I call the "upsidedown" pattern with up for 1st, then everything after is down!

Last edited:
If it was a major overhaul or redesign to improve some function, I'd understand. In this case with the horn, it doesn't look like there's much benefits to make the change. Honda just said "We've relocated the horn to a more convenient place for you" and the consumer is expected to just suck it up and not gripe about it. Screw that.

Back