• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Horn button is all "floppy"

Zippersdad

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure when it happened, but my horn button has lost it's springyness. It just flops around, and occasionally makes a connection and toots randomly, or when I bump it using the turn signals. I opened it up but couldn't remove the tiny inner-screws (those suckers are in there really well) to see what might be broken/missing.
Does anyone have an idea what I need to replace or repair? Thanks!

Tbh the horn button is a pain in the *** on this bike. It is the one major issue I have with the bike and imho, Honda's decision to swap positions with the indicator switch was irresponsible and dangerous. All of my bikes have and all previous ones (except for BMW) had the horn and indicator switch in the same position. That way you could swap brands without an issue in this department. Only two days ago I saw a Car reversing out of a drive just as I came upon it round a bend. I tried to activate the horn on the NC but it never happened. Instead I was trying to cancel the indicators. Fortunately I got around him before he came out too far. I am aware this will not be an issue for folks who have only one motorcycle, but for folks with more than one it is a real nuisance. What the hell were Honda thinking of ? End of rant !

Honda probably was thinking the same as the BMW people. I have 3 bikes and used to have a bmw (which had the horn/turn signal in the same place as the Honda).Now BMW is really screwy, not only do some of their bikes have the horn/turn signal same configuration as the nc700, they have some bikes with a turn signal button on each side (left signal button on left bar, right signal button on right bar). Honda and BMW may be sharing some common components of the horn/signal buttons since they are in the same configuration (don't know, just guessing).

Maybe they reconfigured the left handlebar switch pod to accommodate the DCT version that has paddle shifters on there? I know I can't find the horn or high beam switch consistently either because I usually ride my FJR that has "normal" locations. I was following the wife this morning on my FJR and told her to turn the high beams on her NC700 so we can see animals better in the dark and proceeded to hear her honk the horn a few times trying to get high beams on. ;)

I'd be very tempted to tear it apart and find the issue. Probably because of what I do for a living but $94 seems a little step. There have been part bikes on Ebay occasionally. Maybe you can find one there.

The same thing happend to me, fortunatelly the bike was still on guarantee and they just replace the whole left handle control free of charge. There was some other guys in the spanish forum with the same issue

I opened it up and looked to see what was broken or missing, but I have no clue what I'm looking for. I searched google for hours trying to find a blown up diagram but found nothing.
Does anyone know where I can find something? Thanks.

I opened it up and looked to see what was broken or missing, but I have no clue what I'm looking for. I searched google for hours trying to find a blown up diagram but found nothing.

Ok. The switch is floppy so its paddle pivots are probably broken or out of place. Could you take some shots and put them on here for the "experts" to peruse and give opinion on ? Nothing to lose ;) .

I've not had mine apart so I can only guess. Since it has a return type motion it would almost have to be spring loaded. We have several button type switch on Caterpillar machinery and they are all spring loaded. My guess is the portion that is recessing into the switch housing is pushing up against a spring. When you release tension the spring forces the body of the switch outward. The spring may be out of place or defective.

I like the suggestion above my post too.

Pictures will settle it. Just taking it apart will find it. I would think if the pivots were broken, it would fly out of the case.

Prepping for surgery
busy9yjy.jpg

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

its the same assembly as most of there new bikes. mine broke with less the 500 miles on it. I would contact Honda and see if there is a service bulletin or a recall.

Back