• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Horizons Unlimited In SC

Cyclerosis

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Having had to miss the SGT at the Dragon due to a tough seasonal work load, I was determined to get time off work and the Horizons Unlimited event in SC is fitting in nicely with my work schedule. I've already registered for the event and called the campground Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway to see if I needed a reservation. The answer to that question was "no, not for a camp site". A site with electric and water hookups does require advance notice though. They apparantly have a lot of tent space available.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to inquire whether anyone in the area of the Eastern Panhandle of WV, North VA, MD, DE, NJ or maybe south PA will be biking it to SC for the event. I'm leaving around 4:30 am on the 7th of August to set up a campsite and will probably lend a hand if they need me.

Hope to finally put some faces to the names I've enjoyed trading posts with here. :eek:

Iron horse doesnt really have designated tent spaces. You just set up your tent on any available grass or where they tell you to set up a tent. I was there the end of April with the BMW Chain Gang group and the campers set up their tents next to the creek. They also have a bunk house (5 cots, nothing else, you have to go to the bathroom and shower across the small parking log). I chose the bunk house for 2 nights and it was better than a tent and only $10 more per night than a tent space. If you opt for the prime rib dinner on Saturday night, it is well worth it. I got the small prime rib dinner, I eat alot, and I was full. They have bbq and a chicken dinner on Friday nights (the chicken dinner is not bbq). I had the chicken dinner (more like chicken cordun blue) but I think the bbq would be better.

I love staying at Iron Horse Lodge... the atmosphere is fantastic there. I also prefer the bunkhouse if I can get it, over tent camping... comes with towels and pillows sheets, blanket good mattress. Saves lots of space on the bike. I think you can reserve a bunkhouse space as long as you stay more than one night.

Love the covered motorcycle parking outside the main lodge!

ironhorse1.jpgironhorse2.jpg

I still don't know if I will be able to ride my bike. Hope the doctor will give me some kind of an answer on August 5th, Monday. Also, all my parts have not arrived yet. This is really a down to the wire deal, but I am going even if it is my truck! Also, having another old time biker (Eddie Copland, another tree of shame founder and donator) on Deals Gap (The Dragon) build me a new touring seat, sure would prefer riding. Heck, put me and Eddie on the dragon at the same time and you know that darn tree is bound to grow some.

Deals_Gap_Tree_of_Shame.jpg

Last edited:
Leaving in a couple hours. Should be there around 5:00. May make aa detouur and ride Warwomen Rd and Moonshiner from SC border on way up. Of course hard to get there from here without at least riding Moonshiner from Franklin, NC

Back