• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda wheel weights

kjang

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a silly question. How do you take off the honda oem wheel weights ? Just knock it off with a screwdriver and hammer???
Reason why I ask is because I planning on putting "RIDE ON balancer/sealant".
Summer is coming and will ride much more and I don't want a flat tire.

thanks,
Ken

If you have the weights that clip to the center ridge of the rim, you just pry the off gently with the tool of your choice that's least likely to mar the paint, if you care about the paint. It doesn't take much to get them off. A hammer is not really necessary.

I guess I have to wonder why you would want to take the weight off. If the wheel is reasonably balanced with the weight, leave it there. Then there is less unbalance for the Ride-on to compensate for. I mounted my tires this spring, balanced them on a stand and added weight as needed, THEN put the a Ride-on in the tire. This all made sense to me at the time. Did I do it wrong?

I was planning on leaving the stock honda weights on, however the video and instructions say "Remove".
OCR: your comments on this?

thanks,
Ken

I was planning on leaving the stock honda weights on, however the video and instructions say "Remove".
OCR: your comments on this?

thanks,
Ken

Interesting. I don't ever watch the videos. I re-read the instructions that came with the product and it did not say to remove weights. The step by step directions didn't mention the weights. I can see no harm in having the balance weight there, nor, according to Ride-On, would it hurt if it fell off!

I've ridden 2500 miles since the Ride-On went in, and the ride is very smooth.

Last edited:
If you replace the tire, the stock weight location may not be balanced with the new tire.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

If you replace the tire, the stock weight location may not be balanced with the new tire.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

That's quite true. Maybe that's why they say to remove it. A weight in the wrong place is probably worse than no weight at all.

In my case, I replaced the tire, then balanced the wheel on a balance stand by installing weight in the appropriate location, then added Ride-On.

That's quite true. Maybe that's why they say to remove it. A weight in the wrong place is probably worse than no weight at all.

In my case, I replaced the tire, then balanced the wheel on a balance stand by installing weight in the appropriate location, then added Ride-On.

Not a real believer in liquid or bead balance in general............but If the weight was in the wrong place would the balance medium not just compensate .........assuming the stuff even works :).

Last edited:
Not a real believer in liquid or bead balance in general............but If the weight was in the wrong place would the balance medium not just compensate .........assuming the stuff even works :).

Liquid seeks it's own level. Clear tube has been used for centuries to level buildings. As rubber is wore off the tire the Ride On product is at all time balancing the tire. This way the tire stays in balance the entire life of the tire, not just at the time the tire is balanced by the machine. Ride On is the best tire balancer I have ever seen in my 55 years of riding. As a bonus Ride On also seals flats before they happen.

I can understand you feelings about a liquid balancer or bead balancer in general, as I once felt the same way and was not a believer in Ride On or any liquid or bead balancer. Slime had convinced me to never try something like that again. But, I have a GL1000 with Comstar rims that nothing could keep in balance. The Tucker Rocky rep and my lead mechanic went behind my back and put Ride On into my GL1000. The rivets on the Comstar rims constantly move small amounts, and Ride On is the only thing that has ever balanced this GL1000. I have had this GL1000 sense it was new. Ride On has proved itself to me, it simply does the job.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make him drink it!

Last edited:
This is much a kin to an oil thread............but I have spent half of my career resolving balance and vibrations related to tires on cars with a value of $5000 to $125,000 not one problem or concern was ever resolved by beads and liquid balance.

I will agree most of the time they will cause no harm in motorcycles and the run flat leak sealing has real merit. BUT in cars and some bikes that has not been my experience and frequently needed to remove the balance products and use a simple to very complex spin balancing and or tire replacement due to an inherit flaw like excessive RFV to fix the problem.

Sorry but again this is story and thread that has no end..........just giving my opinion

This is my first time ever with Ride-On. My primary reasons were sealing punctures and correcting balance changes as the tires wore. I figured if the balance feature didn't work, and least I had a sealant. I still makes sense to me to start with a balanced wheel before adding the fluid. I'm guessing the Ride-On engineers understand it, but I'd like it explained to me why one would want to remove the weight off a balanced wheel.

This is my first time ever with Ride-On. My primary reasons were sealing punctures and correcting balance changes as the tires wore. I figured if the balance feature didn't work, and least I had a sealant. I still makes sense to me to start with a balanced wheel before adding the fluid. I'm guessing the Ride-On engineers understand it, but I'd like it explained to me why one would want to remove the weight off a balanced wheel.

That weight balanced the tire that was on the rim at the time the tire on the rim was balanced. When another tire is installed or rubber has been worn off the tire that weight is useless, only causing the unit to be further out of balance. Put the new tire dot next to seam when installing the tire. Tires are balanced at the manufacture, that is what the dot is. Make sure direction of rotation is correct. This way Ride On product will not be compensating for the useless tire weight.

That weight balanced the tire that was on the rim at the time the tire on the rim was balanced. When another tire is installed or rubber has been worn off the tire that weight is useless, only causing the unit to be further out of balance. Put the new tire dot next to seam when installing the tire. Tires are balanced at the manufacture, that is what the dot is. Make sure direction of rotation is correct. This way Ride On product will not be compensating for the useless tire weight.

We're going in circles here. I said three times that I balanced the wheel WITH the new tire installed. I KNOW once I replace the tire, the old wheel weight very likely has to come off or be moved/replaced/changed. I know what the dot on the tire is for.

My question is (again), assuming I have the time, means, and desire after replacing the tire, why would I not balance the wheel with weights before adding Ride-on? Wouldn't that give the product the best advantage for maintaining wheel balance throughout the life of the new tire? Or, to put it another way, why would I want to remove the weight off a BALANCED TIRE/WHEEL and make it unbalanced before adding Ride-On?

Last edited:
I am sure the manufacture figures product distribution on the size of the tire, as different amount of product is placed in different tire sizes. I would see no harm in adding extra product in the amount of the weight you installed into the tire to counter balance the weight as the tire wears. Just a little added cost. But, call Ride On first to get the amount of product you should add.

My question is (again), assuming I have the time, means, and desire after replacing the tire, why would I not balance the wheel with weights before adding Ride-on? Wouldn't that give the product the best advantage for maintaining wheel balance throughout the life of the new tire? Or, to put it another way, why would I want to remove the weight off a BALANCED WHEEL and make it unbalanced before adding Ride-On?

This makes total sense to me. If you start out with a balanced wheel, the product has little work to do until a weight gets flung off or the tire wears enough. You are using the Ride-On product to fine tune the balance job you did with your balance weights and are receiving the leak protection that the product provides as well. The video actually says you "may" remove the weights now, probably because they are assuming the user has not done a balance with weights and has just replaced the tire. I think you've actually chosen the most effective way to go. You have balanced wheels and a liquid insurance policy for the future.

This makes total sense to me. If you start out with a balanced wheel, the product has little work to do until a weight gets flung off or the tire wears enough. You are using the Ride-On product to fine tune the balance job you did with your balance weights and are receiving the leak protection that the product provides as well. The video actually says you "may" remove the weights now, probably because they are assuming the user has not done a balance with weights and has just replaced the tire. I think you've actually chosen the most effective way to go. You have balanced wheels and a liquid insurance policy for the future.

Thank you. You stated very well the point I was trying to get across.

I am sure the manufacture figures product distribution on the size of the tire, as different amount of product is placed in different tire sizes. I would see no harm in adding extra product in the amount of the weight you installed into the tire to counter balance the weight as the tire wears. Just a little added cost. But, call Ride On first to get the amount of product you should add.

I see no reason, nor would I want to add extra product to a balanced tire/wheel assembly. :confused:

Last edited:
Back