• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Wants 15% of All Bike Sales to be Electric by 2030

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
When Honda first said they were gunning to go 100% electric by 2040, we considered the statement a bit of a stretch, but plausible.

After all, the brand prided itself in launching the world’s very first commercially-available electric motorcycle way, way back in 1994 (according to Honda), so having an end destination of being fully gas-free seems logical, if not a tad expensive.

A view of Honda's objective for 2030. Photo sourced from RideApart.
A view of Honda’s objective for 2030. Photo sourced from RideApart.

Now, Team Red’s Sustainability Report for 2022 wants 15% of their bike sales, 30% automobile sales, and 36% power products sales to be fully electric in a scant eight years, with the current lecky lineup showing off a dirt bike, a handful of scooters and potential for a rickshaw or two (we’re not kidding about this one – it was in the June 2022 announcement).

Honda's electric scooter lineup from the 1990s onwards. Media sourced from Honda.
Honda’s electric scooter lineup from the 1990s onwards. Media sourced from Honda.

15% in electric bike sales is an admittedly tall order, especially given what RideApart found for the brand’s statistics this year: an accumulative 0.9% were electric sales, with 0.01% being the motorcycle side of things for 2022.

So.

Obviously, these statistics have us dropping the following query:

How does Honda plan on meeting its new goal by 2030?

Honda's CRF-E2. Media sourced from Ultimate Motorcycling.
Honda’s CRF-E2. Media sourced from Ultimate Motorcycling.

“While Honda is a global company, not all its products are available in all places – and that’s especially true so far for its electrified products,” explains the report.

“However, as Honda makes more electric products available in more places, to more people, it seems likely that more people will buy them if they have the opportunity.”

“Obviously, factors like pricing, availability and parts availability (as the world continues to grapple with supply chain issues) will also play their roles…”

A Honda worker testing out the self-balancing motorcycle concept from Honda's labs.  Photo courtesy of Asia Nikkei.
A Honda worker testing out the self-balancing motorcycle concept from Honda’s labs. Photo courtesy of Asia Nikkei.

We wish Honda the best as they look to meet their projected predictions in the seasons to come.

What do you think? Drop a comment down below letting us know what your thoughts are on Honda’s current place in the electric industry.

Be sure to also subscribe to our newsletter where the best of the latest are hand-curated twice a week just for you, and as always – stay safe on the twisties.

*Media sourced from Honda, RideApart, Electrek, Asia Nikkei, and Ultimate Motorcycling*​

The post Honda Wants 15% of All Bike Sales to be Electric by 2030 appeared first on webBikeWorld.

Continue reading...

Honda is WAY behind when it comes to electric vehicles, 2 or 4 wheels; as the article says, "the brand’s statistics this year: an accumulative 0.9% were electric sales, with 0.01% being the motorcycle side of things for 2022." Honda had a chance to lead the industry in electrics, but Honda has thus far failed miserably. Even their 15% by 2030 goal is weak, in my opinion.

Why go electric when these NC700s get up to 80mpg? Everyone is so GREEN now HONDA has been GREEN forever. Fuel efficiency was always a HONDA thing. When my NC time is up the next ride will be a electric bicycle. NO taxes, insurance, parking issues. The bad thing with electric motorcycles is no regen. from the brakes to give more range. I think that is the piece in this puzzle that has to happen. Not that ZERO and the other elec. bikes are bad most riders love them.

Why go electric when these NC700s get up to 80mpg? Everyone is so GREEN now HONDA has been GREEN forever. Fuel efficiency was always a HONDA thing. When my NC time is up the next ride will be a electric bicycle. NO taxes, insurance, parking issues. The bad thing with electric motorcycles is no regen. from the brakes to give more range. I think that is the piece in this puzzle that has to happen. Not that ZERO and the other elec. bikes are bad most riders love them.
80 mpg is one thing, and certainly a positive aspect of the NC, but how much the NC pollutes the air per mile might be another. I don’t know all of the the facts, but I’ve heard enough to question whether ICE motorcycles are currently doing enough in the area of minimizing exhaust emissions. Also, motorcycles in general have horrible aerodynamics, so it would be nice to see Honda and others improve on wind drag losses. Nonetheless, the NC is a leader in fossil fuel efficiency among motorcycles.

Contrary to your comment suggesting lack of regen braking on electric motorcycles, my Zero provides regenerative braking through the drive motor. In the ride mode I use, regen is set to maximum available. When I close the throttle fully, I get a medium level of regen. When I also activate a brake lever enough to trigger the brake light, I get a higher level of regen. I rarely use more than a finger or two on the front brake because the regen is fairly good. I hardly ever need to use the rear brake. The amount of regeneration energy put back into the battery is small, but it beats throwing all the energy away as brake heat or combustion engine pumping losses.

Moving the source of the CO2 or other pollution is a shell game.
Even Musk state’s infrastructure and renewable power needs to come first before the lofty goals can be achieved and actually make a real difference In the environment.
Remember EU is NOW reopening coal fire power plants due their energy situation.

Reopening coal fired power plants in Germany and Austria is part of a short term plan to conserve natural gas in response to sanctions on imported Russian natural gas. It was forced in response to current events and is not a long term move to make up for shortfalls in electrical generating capacity.

Moving to renewable energy is a shell game of sorts I agree but the goal is net reduction in carbon going into the atmosphere, not total elimination of it. If growing additional electrical generating capacity for a growing percentage of E vehicles by 2035 increases carbon output it will still allow less carbon offset from reductions in ICE tailpipe emissions.

One of the major issues with electricity is the batteries as you need something to store the electricity. I saw an interesting program on our Provincial equivalent of PBS on the weekend. The individual was using solar panels to generate electricity and then a fuel cell to convert it to compressed hydrogen. I thought that was an interesting new take that I had never seen before.

Moving the source of the CO2 or other pollution is a shell game.
Even Musk state’s infrastructure and renewable power needs to come first before the lofty goals can be achieved and actually make a real difference In the environment.
Remember EU is NOW reopening coal fire power plants due their energy situation.

The video does well at explaining our situation with regards to vehicle power options, but doesn’t have much to offer in how those power options can help deal with the urgent the climate crisis. It was mainly about what doesn’t work. Driving fossil fuel powered hybrid cars while we wait for better batteries and clean energy sources for now is nice and convenient, but since we have put off inventing solutions for so long, the clock is already ticking, and ticking fast.

As is rarely or never mentioned in these type articles and videos, drastically reducing our general energy consumption should be an immediate goal. As long as fossil fuels are cheap, there is little incentive to do so.

Last edited:
670cc thanks for the info of the regen. on the ZERO. Have not looked much into what is currant on the bikes been looking more at the electric bicycles.

Back