• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Touring windshield vs Aftermarket

NickV

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at all of the threads here regarding the various aftermarket windshields, I can't find one that really discusses the Honda Touring windshield and how it compares to the others. Anyone? I'm 6' even, 32 inch inseam, and still acclimating to the NC700X after 15 years on a Road King (and I know that I'll never get that kind of comfort on this bike -think Lazy Boy with a panoramic windshield).

Thanks

N

Just my opinion but the Honda Touring screen created to much turbulent air between me and the screen when traveling above 70mph. People have added clip on visors with success.

I'm 6'1 ~35" inseam and my opinion the Honda Tall is OK for under 5'10 only. As Chuck said you can add a clip on visor and there is a thread on cutting holes toward the bottom of it to let air through like a few aftermarket ones. I tried holes which helped but finally went Madstad.

I think (if I remember right ) the Honda screen cost more,and I think looks better,plus should add value to the bike,on the minus side that turbulence the Sergeant was talking about creates a helluva lot of NOISE!!!!

I'm 5'6"- several people around my height have had good luck with the Honda Tall. I'm not one of them. Got the noise down to almost nothing by adding an adjustable deflector, but turbulence is still pretty bad at highway speeds for me. I don't think it's wide enough, or the angle is wrong...something. Thinking of trying Madstad next.

I have the OEM tall windscreen and it does the job better than the teeny stock. I'm 6' 4" and I'm satisfied with it. Anything bigger and I feel my bike would look goofy.

I wish I had aftermarket screens to compare to. I can only offer the impressions of 3 other riders on my bike, 2 of which are skid-lid-wearing cruiser riders (one Wide Glide, one Vegas 8-ball, and one VTX1800). All of us say the Tall screen makes the wind hit us right about the middle of the face. I'm 5'11" with a 32 - 34" jeans 'inseam.' The one alt rider is around 5'7", although he has a short inseam for his height, and he also gets hit right about the middle of the face by the wind. The American riders dislike the turbulence in the extreme; neither of them have screens of any kind on their bikes. The VTX rider quite likes the Honda Tall on my NCX, because his huge police-shield-type screen bounces his head around something awful, which the Tall on my bike does not.

I like how the Tall mounts a whole lot, I like it a LOT better than the stock flyscreen, I like the fact that I get some shielding for my torso during extra-hot and extra-cool riding seasons, and I like the fact that the air vents on my helmet still scoop major air behind it. I do NOT like the turbulence and the noise.

I kinda think that an 'optimal' windscreen for me on this bike would be between the stock and Honda Tall, but the top would be swept back toward me like my CBR's was. This could still offer good shielding for most all of my torso, but eliminate turbulence and noise on my head. OTOH, given the upright nature of the bike's seating position, this might give me neck strain or something. :)

One day, after the super-hot weather is over for the year, I'll probably try a smaller-than-stock piece of lexan just for instrument panel protection, but leaving it otherwise shield-free in terms of rider wind protection. I'm thinking that might be a good thing to try on this bike (other than in super-hot and very cool to cold weather).

Just my opinion but the Honda Touring screen created to much turbulent air between me and the screen when traveling above 70mph. People have added clip on visors with success.
Just out of curiosity since you've had both the HT and the Puig- they're very similar in size/shape. Do you have a hunch as to why the Puig works better? I'm wondering if the difference is in the way they mount. The puig fits more flush to the bike doesn't it - does that also mean a slightly different angle of rake?

Just out of curiosity since you've had both the HT and the Puig- they're very similar in size/shape. Do you have a hunch as to why the Puig works better? I'm wondering if the difference is in the way they mount. The puig fits more flush to the bike doesn't it - does that also mean a slightly different angle of rake?

This is all guess work on my part but my thought is this. 1) The Puig has two wings towards the bottom on both sides. I imagine these wings are pushing the air out just far enough so that it misses the body. 2)There are two groves in the Puig that run vertitcle. My thought here is that the winds hits these slots and and pushes it over the top of the screen as opposed to the HT which most of the wind would curl around the sides. If you were to cut the Puig in thirds the tracks would be the serperating line between each third. These tracks are dividing up the wind and preventing the bulk of it to dump over the sides. 3) I think the Puig is just a tad bit taller. 4) I have a clip-on too.

Like I said. Most of what I said is my guessing. What I do know is the Puig is better. Most all of my riding is on the interstate around semi trucks. That turbulent air combined with what the HT was creating shook the hell out of the NCX at speeds over 70mph. It still happens but not near as bad.

It's my opinion if someone was going to buy an aftermarket screen the HT would not be on my list. If the bike came with it or you could upgrade right from the factor then I'd go for the HT over the small screen. That's how I ended up with it in the first place. Came with the bike at purchase.

Last edited:
I haven't used any others to comment, but I have the tall Honda screen and I'm 5'11". The top of my helmet gets just enough turbulence/wind to make it a bit annoying. If I tuck just a bit or lean back and crouch down a bit it's a lot better.

While I agree that much bigger and it might look goofy I'm seriously considering something to give me an inch or two more screen height. I think that's all I would need.

I have tried the stock, OEM Honda Touring and the Madstad and here are my basic observations. (I am 5'7")

Stock - Lots of wind, noisy, but smooth "clean" air
OEM Touring - Less wind and noise, but air was very turbulent. Felt like head was in a paint shaker. Actually gave me head an neck aches unless I tucked down
MadStad - When appropriately adjusted has significantly less wind and noise and very "clean" air so no buffeting. Can ride visor up until about 55-60mph (with glasses of course). Also has the ability to adjust depending on the season/weather/etc.

One thing to keep in mind, wind noise and buffeting can be caused by a bunch of different factors, helmet, jacket, windscreen all play a part. So what may work for one person may not work for another.

After looking at all of the threads here regarding the various aftermarket windshields, I can't find one that really discusses the Honda Touring windshield and how it compares to the others. Anyone? I'm 6' even, 32 inch inseam, and still acclimating to the NC700X after 15 years on a Road King (and I know that I'll never get that kind of comfort on this bike -think Lazy Boy with a panoramic windshield).

Thanks

N
6'4", 270 (or so), 34" inseam. Had the dealer put on a factory touring screen when I got the bike. Installed, as "per the book," with the bolts in the lower holes. Miserable.
My regular mechanic pulled it off, took a bench grinder to Honda's crappy spot welds on the backing plate that holds the nuts so it would fit in the top holes. Shimmed the top out about 3/4". Much better. No plans to change it. I wear a Blazer helmet so I usually ride with earplugs anyway but can get along without them in an emergency, even at highway speeds (80-ish). Couldn't do that before.

I have tried the stock, OEM Honda Touring and the Madstad and here are my basic observations. (I am 5'7")

Stock - Lots of wind, noisy, but smooth "clean" air
OEM Touring - Less wind and noise, but air was very turbulent. Felt like head was in a paint shaker. Actually gave me head an neck aches unless I tucked down
MadStad - When appropriately adjusted has significantly less wind and noise and very "clean" air so no buffeting. Can ride visor up until about 55-60mph (with glasses of course). Also has the ability to adjust depending on the season/weather/etc.

One thing to keep in mind, wind noise and buffeting can be caused by a bunch of different factors, helmet, jacket, windscreen all play a part. So what may work for one person may not work for another.
I'm basically the same height as you and had the same experience with both Honda screens. I just rode mine today after putting the stock screen back on, and was amazed at how much nicer it was to ride behind. Noisy, but nice smooth wind - throwing earplugs in made for an enjoyable ride. Also tried no screen, and oddly enough I got a lot more wind blast, but it didn't seem to be any noisier. Which leads me to believe the stock screen works somewhat for me. I still want more protection for longer rides though, so I'd also like to know what size Madstad you went with. I'm leaning toward the 20", mostly for the extra width compared to the 18".

Under no circumstances should you buy the Honda tall screen, I am just over 5'10 I have added a puig deflector at extra cost and I still get some wind turbulence (wind noise), Honda really dropped the ball on this, I paid to buy the windscreen only to have to pay for the deflector and well to be honest I found myself looking at other options now, so I would not recommend it at all, I think if I was about 2 inches shorter it would be fine, It works to keep the bugs off me, however I did 1200km of driving this weekend no bugs but I swear I am more deaf that I was before ! Tucking down is not comfortable it needs to be higher or better designed. Not to mention the lousy seat

Under no circumstances should you buy the Honda tall screen, I am just over 5'10 I have added a puig deflector at extra cost and I still get some wind turbulence (wind noise), Honda really dropped the ball on this, I paid to buy the windscreen only to have to pay for the deflector and well to be honest I found myself looking at other options now, so I would not recommend it at all, I think if I was about 2 inches shorter it would be fine, It works to keep the bugs off me, however I did 1200km of driving this weekend no bugs but I swear I am more deaf that I was before ! Tucking down is not comfortable it needs to be higher or better designed. Not to mention the lousy seat

I disagree with the ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Touring screen with a small defector is a perfect compromise for me on protection, air flow, noise, turbulence and comfort.
In hot weather above 95 degrees I have another touring screen cut down to the size of the original screen for added add air flow and cooling. If I want to get roasted in temps above 95 I ride my ST which has too much "protection" for slower speed hot weather.

As stated prior by many others one size and shape does not fit all. :cool:

Last edited:
I disagree with the ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Touring screen with a small defector is a perfect compromise for me on protection, air flow, noise, turbulence and comfort.
In hot weather above 95 degrees I have another touring screen cut down to the size of the original screen for added add air flow and cooling. If I want to get roasted in temps above 95 I ride my ST which has too much "protection" for slower speed hot weather.

As stated prior by many others one size and shape does not fit all. :cool:

Showkey, how tall are you and which deflector do you have ?
Im 6'5" and also have the tall screen. I always use custom made earplugs, but still suffer from buffeting.

It sounds like your wanting a completely dead pocket of air..... I'm not sure if the Madstad or even the large Calsci can do that. Those two have more wind protection than any other screen I know of. Maybe the National Cycle with a deflector might come close... but it doesn't have the width to block a large pocket of air.

Back