• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Service Cost?

GT928

Reaction score
Visit site
Went by a Honda dealer and asked about 4K service. They said that it would be about $350 and the 8K service would be over $600. I asked what was included for that price, and they said oil & filter and complete check of the bikes systems. So oil and filter and checking a few things costs over $300??? So during the first 800 miles I will have spent 15% of the cost of the bike if I add tires? I have always serviced my own bikes in the past but had thought about giving it up with the Honda. Hmm… maybe not. What do you all do? How much do you spend?

4000 miles seems really short between service to be honest, wouldn't it normaly be 8k miles or a year?

Anyway, i'm getting my 8k service done next week, and it's going to cost me roughly 185€ (205$) for a NC 750 X with DCT.
Considering you need valves checked as well on the 700, the 350$ would be what it costs here.

Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of cash on a glorified oil change. Part of the joy for my in ownership is doing what is required myself. This is a really easy bike to service and the dealership will make it sound complex so that you don't attempt it yourself. Educate yourself and save some cash.

What do you all do? How much do you spend?

4K service= Basically $0 since there is nothing to do except possibly chain maintenance. Oil change is not due at 4K miles.
8K service= Maybe $20 for oil/filter and some brake fluid and coolant. Valve adjustment was "free" since it was only my labor. 8K also meant changing some tires but that was just the cost of the tires since I installed them myself.

Doing the work myself is a rewarding part of motorcycle ownership.

I can't imagine spending that kind dough you were quoted at a dealership, but if you don't have the resources to do it yourself, I guess you can still shop wisely and avoid being overcharged. If I had to pay the prices you were quoted I would get out of the motorcycle hobby and find something else to do.

Last edited:
I just did an oil change at 4500 miles but Ive had the bike for a year and its recommended.

It cost me $60 for everything on the DCT model and I did it myself. I got everything from the dealer but wont be doing that next time and plan to do it for cheaper.

When my 8k service comes up I'll probably do most myself but maybe take it in just for the valves. Ive done all the work on all my other vehicles but the Honda is a little newer and in better shape then all my others so Im still nervous about it haha.

Mine has only ever seen the inside of a shop for warranty work on the rear wheel and tyre fitting. Accordingly the servicing aspect has only ever cost me the price of the oil and filters. Many on here do the Valve clearances themselves. However one needs a degree of mechanical knowledge to do that aspect assuredly. Imho, not only is this bike very economical on petrol but it can also be very economical to run from the servicing aspect.

that's why I say always wash your bike.
that's because if there is any thing that need doing your more than likely spot it.
I wash my bike regularly when it needs it and at the same time I check things over.
wash the chain with paraffine if the chain looks grubby etc.
as for service from now on I'll do my own now that it is out of warranty.
as for valve adjustment I'll leave that to others,I can't be bothered with the rigmarole of taking this and that off.
I only use my bike for pleasure these days so it wont get so much mileage like some of you guys do.

Just had the dealer perform the 8,000 mile service last week in Mount Vernon, WA to include replacing the front tire that I provided. I also provided them the Honda oil and filter (I had originally planned on doing the oil change myself, but didn't have the capability to change the front tire). Total cost was $350. I also had them do the inspection for the chain recall for the 2012 model, but there was no charge for that. I plan on doing all future routine maintenance myself, but I wanted the dealer to do the first one since I purchased the bike used about 500 miles ago as I'm prepping for the ride to/from Sturgis. That way if it blows up during the ride I can blame them.

BTW - The labor rate at the dealer in Mount Vernon, WA is $94 an hour. Having said that, $600 sounds unreasonably high. I'd suggest calling other Honda dealers, after all, it's not a BMW, but $600 (or more) are BMW prices.

My local Honda dealer quoted me $130 for the 600 service (+ parts I guess). Now, that seems low...

Last edited:
My local Honda dealer quoted me $130 for the 600 service (+ parts I guess). Now, that seems low...

To me that still seem high.

the 600 miles service is a easy service. if you do it yourself is under $50.00 with parts. am willing to pay someone to do the work. but am not sure is over 100% is worth it

Yikes.
I knew things were more expensive than when I was riding every day 20 years ago. But wow!
Can someone match 1990 dollars to today's and see if it is just inflation? I don't have my files on my old bikes....dang it.
I just did the 600 mile service. It is only oil and two filters (DCT). The rest is "inspect" and that is only idle speed,brake pads, parking brake, nuts,bolts, fasteners and steering head bearings.
Big Whup!
I did (inspected) more than that.
The hard part for me now is getting down on the ground and getting back up. When I was young it was nothing I noticed. Now it is another story.
Well, that and reading the oil container incorrectly............

Last edited:

I did that myself for $40 bucks so $130 seems spendy to me. Its an oil change with a few basic checks like chain, clutch, brake, nuts etc. if I remember correct.

We spent maybe $140 for our 800 mile check-up.
They told me they do not check the valves at the 800 mile service.

If you change your own oil, do so right before the 8K service and tell them you just changed it.
See if the cost of the 8K comes down a little.

Before providing them with your oil and filter I would ask them if the cost of the 8K is lower if you provide those items.
If it is not lower, use theirs and save yours for the next change.

Some thoughts...

God bless!!

Michael

Back