• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Sales

bigjeff

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Honda sells 4.2 million motorcycles worldwide in one quarter? wow - am I reading that right?

01.gif

Most are the small Honda cub on the world market, that is not sold in the US anymore.

[video=youtube;aaeKrqJJqm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaeKrqJJqm0[/video]

They make a lot more money on the auto side of the business.

And it looks like double in what they sell of cars. Where the heck are they at? Must be a lot of dirt bikes and ATV's. I'm assuming power products are generators, lawn mowers, and such.

Yeah most are sold to Asia and are cubs and other small transportation pieces but that is still alot of bikes. Makes for the funding for an awesome R&D engineering group. :)

What we fail to realize sometimes is that overall in Honda worldwide MC sales, North America is a relatively small market for Honda and represents slightly less than 10% of their overall worldwide MC sales. The Asian market including Japan accounts for more than 55% of their MC net sales. Europe is actually their smallest MC market.

Also while they might sell more motorcycle "units" than cars, their auto business still accounts for about 78% of net sales compared to about 14% for motorcycles.

Most are the small Honda cub on the world market, that is not sold in the US anymore.

[video=youtube;aaeKrqJJqm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaeKrqJJqm0[/video]

They make a lot more money on the auto side of the business.

Nice video. I wonder will my NC will last this long?

Ken

I believe the engine in the NC700 will be around a good time. The cc's will change, but the basic design is very marketable. The reason, like the Cub, it is simple in design.

My first bike was a Cub, back in 1961. Now that I think about it, it must have been the ancient ancestor of the DCT, since it didn't have a clutch lever either. :) Cubs used a centrifugal clutch, but you still had a manual transmission with a heel/toe shift lever.

Bob

http://world.honda.com/investors/library/quarter/2013/FY14-1Q-Quarter-Fact-Sheet.pdf

North America
• Positive impact of NC700X,
GL1800F6B, CB500 series and
other introductions
• Decreased sales of ATV models,
such as TRX500 and TRX420,
and of CBR250R

North America looks to be around 60,000 powersport units sold in that quarter... looking back a few quarters (though creatively changing the link to the pdf) that seems relatively consistent... suggesting that honda sells ~a quarter million powersport items a year in north america... Now as to how many of those were NC's... we'd need to start looking at VIN numbers.

Vast majority of the sales are in asia for power sports, though north america is carrying the automotive sales pretty well.

Honda is the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer. I think their recent yearly figure is around 12M sold. Most bikes are sold in Asian countries where motorcycle remains the main mode of transportation. It's a high volume/low margin business model. On the other hand, Ducati sold 44K bikes in 2012, a record breaking year.

http://world.honda.com/investors/library/quarter/2013/FY14-1Q-Quarter-Fact-Sheet.pdf

North America looks to be around 60,000 powersport units sold in that quarter... looking back a few quarters (though creatively changing the link to the pdf) that seems relatively consistent... suggesting that honda sells ~a quarter million powersport items a year in north america... Now as to how many of those were NC's... we'd need to start looking at VIN numbers.

Vast majority of the sales are in asia for power sports, though north america is carrying the automotive sales pretty well.
Honda like other Asian brands took it on the chin in the US during the recession. The small volume European makers like Ducati and BMW sell to a distinctly different demographic than Asian brands and those brands did not suffer so much during the recession - loss of discretionary income did not impact higher income buyers as much between 2008 and now but Ducati and BMW together sold fewer than 20,000 motorcycles in the US last year and less than 150,000 worldwide.

Don't quote me exactly but these figures are close: After the heady years of the 60s and early 1970s when sales grew exponentially then topped 380,000 motorcycles a year in 1977 (???) Honda US motorcycle sales peaked in recent decades during 2006 with about 335,000 motorcycles - second to Harley Davidson with about 350,000 that year. Honda had +/- 22% of the US market. During 2007 to 2010 sales dropped to 190,000 a year at the bottom but 2012 saw growth back up to 215,000 with forecast sales for 2013 to be 250,000 units.

Honda has spent considerable R & D on the 500s and 700s which are seen as important to bringing younger buyers into the sport. The overall demographic for US and European (including the UK, I guess I should be saying US and EC riders) riders is aging rapidly and if younger riders do not invigorate the market then sales figures will continue to decline as riders age out of the sport and Honda will have a hard time selling 500cc and larger bikes in North America and the EC. Bikes under 250cc sold in the millions in Asian markets including India.

Honda has spent considerable R & D on the 500s and 700s which are seen as important to bringing younger buyers into the sport. The overall demographic for US and European (including the UK, I guess I should be saying US and EC riders) riders is aging rapidly and if younger riders do not invigorate the market then sales figures will continue to decline as riders age out of the sport and Honda will have a hard time selling 500cc and larger bikes in North America and the EC. Bikes under 250cc sold in the millions in Asian markets including India.

Honda is facing the same challenges with their car division as well when the younger generation loses interest in cars. Perhaps it's because owning a car doesn't carry the same meaning as 10-20 years go; perhaps it's too expensive; or it's becoming less convenient to own a car with continuing urbanization.

Honda is not along in this though. For HD, the problem is even more severe. I read that their owners' average age has increased 10 years in the past decade... So the same demographic stayed with the brand with no significant new young buyers. Which means, if they don't bring in the younger crowd, HD should start planning for the 2020 Road King Ultra Glide Hard Tail Wheel Chair Limited Edition.

Last edited:
Honda is the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer. I think their recent yearly figure is around 12M sold. Most bikes are sold in Asian countries where motorcycle remains the main mode of transportation. It's a high volume/low margin business model. On the other hand, Ducati sold 44K bikes in 2012, a record breaking year.

I believe honda is the largest engine manufacturer in the world as well. Making everything from yard equipment to jet planes.

Gigs

Which means, if they don't bring in the younger crowd, HD should start planning for the 2020 Road King Ultra Glide Hard Tail Wheel Chair Limited Edition.

They will target baby boomers if they follow Beth Brady, global head of Nielsen Marketing, recommendations: Boomers Are 'The Most Valuable Generation' For Marketers, Nielsen Report Finds

It kinda hit home when Brady suggests to the marketer on baby boomers (last two paragraphs):

"So listen up, marketers: boomers are older, but they’re not old. And they’re ready for their close-up."

“Let's be careful about supposing that life is so dreary,” Brady said. “Don't tell them [boomers] they're old because they do not think they're old. They think, ‘Not only am I not old, but 50 is the new 30.’ They're happier now than they've ever been. Recognize that they love life.”

Last edited:
Back