• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Rear Carrier

kbayduck

Reaction score
Visit site
Just purchased a used but "new to me" 2012, want to add a rear rack for a top box or soft tail bag. Does anyone know if the Honda rear carrier (08L72-MGS A30) needs any additional hardware other than what would normally be included? I'm also looking at one at twisted Throttle. I haven't seen too many others available.

Sorry I don’t remember part numbers off the top of my head but there are 2 different parts for the Honda rear rack. One is for new handrails and the other is for the plate that then bolts to the new handrails. On a 2012 you have to cut the plastic around where the handrails mount for clearance of the new handrails.

Unless you are planning to use the factory luggage I’d go with the SWMotech or Givi rear rack. I have the SwMotech and like it a lot. I mounted an inexpensive Besteem topbox to it and later added the SWMotech side bag mounts which adapters can be purchased for just about any make of side bags.

Just purchased a used but "new to me" 2012, want to add a rear rack for a top box or soft tail bag. Does anyone know if the Honda rear carrier (08L72-MGS A30) needs any additional hardware other than what would normally be included? I'm also looking at one at twisted Throttle. I haven't seen too many others available.

The Honda rack also requires replacement of the passenger hand rails. 08L74-MGS-A30. That costs as much as the rack. The whole setup can be bought for about $215 from Procaliber.com. I would only go with the Honda product if you're dead set on Honda luggage, as you'll be limited in future luggage options.

I'd recommend going after market for more versatility. SW-Motech would probably give the most luggage options for future needs. However, the cheapest route would be to buy Givi 1111FZ sidearms and build your own flat rack.

Bama and 670 have it right. I have the Honda baseplate and top box and the top box is way too close to the rear seat. The aftermarket stuff is several inches back from the rear seat and that's huge if you have someone on the pillion often.

He also has a 2012 which will require some cutting of the plastics. If you don't want to cut up the plastic on the bike I'd go a different route. I have the Honda OEM and it works great but wish I had SW-Motech.

20130921_110355.jpg

My 50 cents:
The allu-rack next to daytona that I have:
View attachment 23299

The size difference is obvious. And that's how it looks installed without any plastic "arts and crafts".
View attachment 23300

Your Daytona looks nice, indeed. The Alu-rack is not so much a rack in itself, it's a compact unobtrusive mounting plate for everything else. With quick release fasteners, you add a soft luggage rack, hard case adapters, etc, to the Alu-Rack based on your needs for the day

That is why I went with the Alurack. I didnt want the look of the bike to be dramatically changed, but wanted to be able to add on luggage as needed. One of the reasons I went with the panier bags I did. When they are off, there is no framework visible on the bike except a small mounting bracket bolted behind the passenger foot pegs.

Yep, gotta have the new passenger grab handles as well. The plastic cutting is true but overblown, I think. I cant even see/notice the cuts on my '12 until I open the rear seat to refuel, and even then I have to be reminded to look for it in order to notice.
I have all Honda stuff: saddlebags & mounts, rear rack, and trunk. To be completely truthful, I have them because that's how the dealer had the bike on the showroom floor, and I got a truly excellent deal. That said, stylistically I strongly prefer the Honda stuff to all aftermarket alternatives. Also, and apparently in contrast to many, I prefer the further-forward mounting point of the Honda top case/trunk. It disrupts the balance of the bike a bit less, and again it looks better to me. My wife does find it slightly tight mounting, but likes the fit once aboard.

oh cheers guys whats wrong wiv my racks eh!
cry-blow.gif

Another +1 for the sw-motech rack.

I have both the top rack and side rack (With Givi trekkers on them) looks good with the boxes on, and in about 60 seconds and 9 quick release fasteners the bike looks basically stock (save the alu rack, and a few small mounting points for the side racks.)

Though I'll probably never actually bring the bike back to look stock... boxes are useful and look good, don't really effect the handling of the bike that much (you'd think a big top box would, but so far it really hasn't.) But it's nice to know that I can do it quickly if I want to.

I will get a photo of mine with and without tonight. Heading off again this weekend, so the bike will be all packed up again.

You are going to freeze tomorrow night :(. I would ride down with you guys tomorrow, but it wont be above freezing at my house until late in the morning and I just don't want to be that cold or put all my cold riding gear on. You guys have a safe/fun trip.

I got my original rack from Honda for free. As a veteran biker, I have gotten over that "don't cut anything on my new bike" syndrome. Cut away, it is not visible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, gotta have the new passenger grab handles as well. The plastic cutting is true but overblown, I think. I cant even see/notice the cuts on my '12 until I open the rear seat to refuel, and even then I have to be reminded to look for it in order to notice.
I have all Honda stuff: saddlebags & mounts, rear rack, and trunk. To be completely truthful, I have them because that's how the dealer had the bike on the showroom floor, and I got a truly excellent deal. That said, stylistically I strongly prefer the Honda stuff to all aftermarket alternatives. Also, and apparently in contrast to many, I prefer the further-forward mounting point of the Honda top case/trunk. It disrupts the balance of the bike a bit less, and again it looks better to me. My wife does find it slightly tight mounting, but likes the fit once aboard.

I have all the Honda luggage and to me it's the best looking luggage. It fits tight to the bike and the styling works with the bike. Its expensive but I didn't want to to compromise.

Back