• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda OEM Top Box, Trunk- Brake Lights

Fyrfyta

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched the forum for any info, and didn't see anything, if it exists I apologize.
Trying to figure out a way to add brake lights to my Honda 'top-box, trunk'. I'm aware that Admore Lighting makes kits for Givi boxes and supposedly there is one for the Honda. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten and installed this kit or anything similar to the OEM Honda Top Box.

I added neon yellow reflective tape below the Honda pseudo reflective strip and that worked well, I also added the custom dynamics night rider tail light to the end of my OEM rack under the box. The custom dynamics light sequences back and forth as a tail light, flashes four times at brake then solid and is nice and bright.
qygeza2y.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just finished putting LEDs in my honda top box and wired everything up. I couldn't stand having those clear panels in the box without it lighting up, and no one made anything that I liked. I'm happy with how it turned out. Yea I keep my bikes in the basement for the winter, keeps them warm and snugglie.

[video=youtube_share;z6_wIk47Rtw]http://youtu.be/z6_wIk47Rtw[/video]

When I looked a couple days ago, TwistedThrottle still had 1 in-stock quantity of a brake light kit specifically for Honda's 45-liter top box (that's the American-market trunk for the NCX). I don't have a URL, but the search turned the item up along with others pretty quickly.

How did you find that at Twisted Throttle? Was is NC700X specific or under another category? I just looked at TT and did not find it. As a side note, Reflectively Yours has different types of reflective tape that will make you visible at night.

Wish I had taken pictures during construction but I didn't think of it at the time. I can show what I used to do it.

I wanted their to be alot of LEDS , not like the kits that have about a dozen per side. I found these flexible led strips that had the smallest spacing between leds. Super Bright 5M Waterproof SMD Red 3528 600 LED Flexible Light Strip Car Auto | eBay

0.jpg

One roll was enough to do both sides even with the dead leds in the roll which had to be cut out and spliced. It worked out that 4 rows fit perfectly. they have an adhesive back so I stuck them to the silver insert behind the clear panels.
these were soldered together in series with jumper wires.

1-100_1572.JPG

To control the light, for driving and flashing brake I used this : Rivco Flashing Brake Light Modulator | 544-624 | J&P Cycles
Its small and fit in the forward left corner of the case where I put my connector.

544-624_A.jpg

The connector I used I can't find on E-BAY now but it was similar to this one :http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcsX-IP68-Waterproof-Connector-3pin-Contacts-Panel-Type-Adapter-Free-Shipping-/201002066563?
pt=US_Radio_Comm_Coaxial_Cables_Connectors&hash=item2ecca82283

1-101.JPG

I used My 3D printer to print out some covers to cover up the wiring and electronics in the case.

1-100_1574.jpg

And tapped in to the taillight wires with the blue PosiTaps. When I remove the Box , I just diconnect the connector and put the cable under the rear seat.

1-100_1581.jpg

Hope that helps.

Panzuur,

Thanks for the update. Very clean install. What do you think your total cost is into it? I started looking into doing something similar but the LED strips I bought off Amazon were too thick to fit between the silver insert and the clear panels. I see the LEDs claim they are water proof but did you add any additional waterproofing to protect the LEDs behind the clear panels? Also does the Rivco modulator provide the Dim/Bright control for the tail vs brake light in addition to modulating the pulse or how are you controlling the tail vs brake function with the strip lights? Do you know what your total current draw is with the brake?

Just when I thought I was about done with farkles you had to do this, now I got another project. Again, thanks for info.

I would say total cost was $60 ,the Rivco modulator being half the cost. The Rivco does control the brightness of the driving light and the flashing brake mode, by tapping into 3 wires ,ground, driving & brake wires. There is an option for the brake to flash or no flash.
If I remember correctly it was pulling 1.5 amps max on the bench.
The LEDs are covered with clear silicon so they are weatherproof, I put some silicon over the solder joints I made. They are a tight fit but it does work.

Yea I don't think the farkling will ever end , I finished this up and have thought up 2 more I want to do.

Looks good! I did something similar with my Givi case. I added turn signals, and used a PWM controller and a relay for the running lights/brake brightness.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

Wish I had taken pictures during construction but I didn't think of it at the time. I can show what I used to do it.

I wanted their to be alot of LEDS , not like the kits that have about a dozen per side. I found these flexible led strips that had the smallest spacing between leds. Super Bright 5M Waterproof SMD Red 3528 600 LED Flexible Light Strip Car Auto | eBay

View attachment 12166

One roll was enough to do both sides even with the dead leds in the roll which had to be cut out and spliced. It worked out that 4 rows fit perfectly. they have an adhesive back so I stuck them to the silver insert behind the clear panels.
these were soldered together in series with jumper wires.

View attachment 12167

To control the light, for driving and flashing brake I used this : Rivco Flashing Brake Light Modulator | 544-624 | J&P Cycles
Its small and fit in the forward left corner of the case where I put my connector.

View attachment 12168

The connector I used I can't find on E-BAY now but it was similar to this one :http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcsX-IP68-Waterproof-Connector-3pin-Contacts-Panel-Type-Adapter-Free-Shipping-/201002066563?
pt=US_Radio_Comm_Coaxial_Cables_Connectors&hash=item2ecca82283

View attachment 12169

I used My 3D printer to print out some covers to cover up the wiring and electronics in the case.

View attachment 12170

And tapped in to the taillight wires with the blue PosiTaps. When I remove the Box , I just diconnect the connector and put the cable under the rear seat.

View attachment 12171

Hope that helps.

I am trying to do something almost exactly the same as this, however, I am having a lot of difficulty fitting the LED strips behind the clear panels. Its like they are too thick and will probably let in a lot of water when it rains. Did you have a similar problem?

Definitely considering doing likewise with signal lights included, but wondering why you wouldn't simply use diodes and resistors for controlling the intensity of the running vs. brake/signal? You could still ad an inexpensive brake strobe (like this one <http://www.banggood.com/12V-Motorcycle-Led-Taillight-Brake-Flasher-Strobe-Controller-p-956577.html>) if desired.

Due to the fact the nc700x's rear brake light is not very visible I wanted to add some brake lights to my oem top box. I purchased the rear brake light kit for a Honda 45L top box from admorelighting.com. I also purchased the red lenses to replace the clear lenses. The instructions were very easy to follow and tapping into the rear brake wires was a snap. I think it turned out pretty good!!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Unfortunately I could not find a U.S.company that sells them. I ordered from consolidated motor spares B.V. In the Netherlands. They were a good company to order from. Cost was $40-45 for the two lenses which included the international shipping. Part # 08L55MCW80007 = left panel and part # 08L55MCW80006 = right panel.

Due to the fact the nc700x's rear brake light is not very visible I wanted to add some brake lights to my oem top box. I purchased the rear brake light kit for a Honda 45L top box from admorelighting.com. I also purchased the red lenses to replace the clear lenses. The instructions were very easy to follow and tapping into the rear brake wires was a snap. I think it turned out pretty good!!View attachment 22627View attachment 22625View attachment 22626

I like that. I ride in the dark a lot, I would love to get something like that for my Honda Top box.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back