• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda NT1100

Yes of course it was once because I never willingly rode my FJR as slowly as my NC. My point is the NC forces/encourages you to ride slowly because it has only 50 odd hp. When I thrash my NC, my mpg is not far off and comparable to any other bike I have owned.

For info I have done 4335 miles since I bought my 2016 NC750S in December 2019. In that time my average fuel consumption has been 52.3 miles per US gallon.
For the last FJR I owned I did 8800 miles. This ES 2018 model managed 42.4 miles per US gallon. So yes worse than the NC, but not by much and the FJR is a very different bike in many ways.

Anyway back to the shaft v chain debate. If the NC/NT bikes are about fuel saving, then a shaft makes no sense either.

Last edited:
I've only ridden slowly when trying to get into the 80s or above. I've averaged 71mpg over 52,000+ miles and I rarely go the speed limit.

I was hoping the NT1100 would be a shaft drive since Honda killed off the ST1300, but I'll have to get a FJR for that experience. Really too bad

The best I have ever seen on my NC is 66.2 miles/g(US). I am not denying the NC is an excellent motorcycle. I own one and I like it a lot. How fast we travel is down to personal preference and how good we are at spotting the police or speed cameras. I suppose I would tend to ride quite fast most of the time. We all have different riding styles. I am tall and weigh about 100kg in gear so that isn't helping my fuel figures either. When I got my NC I was struck by how much colder I was getting in winter due to the wind blast.

Yes of course it was once because I never willingly rode my FJR as slowly as my NC. My point is the NC forces/encourages you to ride slowly because it has only 50 odd hp. When I thrash my NC, my mpg is not far off and comparable to any other bike I have owned.

For info I have done 4335 miles since I bought my 2016 NC750S in December 2019. In that time my average fuel consumption has been 52.3 miles per US gallon.
For the last FJR I owned I did 8800 miles. This ES 2018 model managed 42.4 miles per US gallon. So yes worse than the NC, but not by much and the FJR is a very different bike in many ways.

Anyway back to the shaft v chain debate. If the NC/NT bikes are about fuel saving, then a shaft makes no sense either.
When I was preparing for a BunBurner Gold on the NC I did about 2400 miles of testing to determine average fuel economy at 80 mph and my 2015 DCT returned 50+ mpg at a steady 80 mph. At those speeds my ST1300 returned 38+. On the other hand when I rode my ST1300 for absolutely highest fuel economy it returned only 59 at best and usually mid 50s while my NC returned mid 80s with high of 94.

Really, why....My C50 Boulevard gets 52-55mpg at 70mph on the Interstate (close to 60mpg on the side roads)....shaft driven, and weighs close to 600lbs....The NT700 was shaft drive; no reason the NT1100 cant be shaft drive....the NT1100 motor based on the Rebel 1100....which has a computer limiter of 100mph.....which has been confirmed on the adv forum...

Really, why....My C50 Boulevard gets 52-55mpg at 70mph on the Interstate (close to 60mpg on the side roads)....shaft driven, and weighs close to 600lbs....The NT700 was shaft drive; no reason the NT1100 cant be shaft drive....the NT1100 motor based on the Rebel 1100....which has a computer limiter of 100mph.....which has been confirmed on the adv forum...
The 1100 twin in the Rebel is an evolution of the 1000 motor found in the 2016-2019 Africa Twin. Enlarged to 1100cc in response to Euro5 requirements it went into the 2020 Africa Twin. It also found a home in the new Rebel and might see production in the rumored NT1100. Is the Africa Twin limited to 100 mph?

1634770926059.png

Posts on ADV Rider are suggesting this is it. I like it a lot. Actually, I like its pedigree better than any other bike on the market today.

That looks pretty nice. I hope its not too tall or too heavy. Guess we find out tomorrow?

Found out just now... seat height 820 mm (32.3) weight 524 w/6 speed trans ( prob 544 with DCT), 103 hp, 77 torque, fuel tank 20.4 liters (5.4 gals)

Last edited:
Wow. What I find most surprising about the new NT1100 is that there is nothing new here. Honda took an old model, put some smaller wheels and some new plastic on it, and slipped it in to fill a void in the model lineup. There is no ground breaking new technology or feature introduced. In my opinion it’s not even the right technology, using chain drive on a touring motorcycle.

Honda has been known to come up with some novel motorcycle ideas and hit it big from time to time. Not this time. They must have shut the lights off and gone home at Honda R&D. This NT1100 is the most boring new Honda model introduction I’ve seen in awhile. It’s just old tech recycled from the parts bin. My hope is that Honda introduced this model only to make some noise in 2021, while in the background they’re really working on something else totally new that advances motorcycle technology and features.

I think it's a pretty nice package. Comes standard with cruise control, heated grips, saddlebags, a centerstand, and an adjustable windscreen, (and a TFT with Applecar play for those interested in that kind of stuff, but that would have navigation in it)

Compare that to our NC 750X which came with none of that. All added cost...grips $400, saddlebags $1000, centerstand $150, cruise not available, adj windscreen $250, navigation $?

It's priced cheaper than the Yamaha 900 Triple tourer, it's new age competition, and it has more features.

It's not going to compete with a true big tourer like a Goldwing, BMW RT or FJR, but it's a lot less weight (and the FJR is no longer being made).

The new Suzuki 1000 sport tourer (also chain drive) and the Kawasaki 1000 sport tourer (also chain drive) may have more power but they also have less features., and you probably have to buy the saddlebags (not sure on that one)

I still think it should have shaft drive, but some people actually prefer chains (I'm not one of them). It's still a little heavy for me, especially the DCT version and for me the seat height is a little high, but I'm an older munchkin

This NT1100 is the most boring new Honda model introduction I’ve seen in awhile.
Interesting take, 670cc. I won't say I disagree, but more that I had almost the exact opposite impression seeing the specs. For me, this ticks off all of the right boxes. Double the power, only marginally heavier, and lots of nice features that I have basically added or adapted to on the NC700. And the price is not so outrageous that it would actually make sense to upgrade to one of these. I guess I do agree that in terms of pure novelty, this bike does not really offer anything new. Rather, it fills in a nice gap for people who want a bike with some decent power that travels well without the weight of the Goldwing.

Rather, it fills in a nice gap for people who want a bike with some decent power that travels well without the weight of the Goldwing.
For single rider trips, OK, but for two up riding, comparing the NT1100 to the Goldwing is unrealistic. Show a passenger the accommodations and ask whether they would want to ride on the NT or a ‘Wing.

From what I can see, the most compelling reason to switch from an NC750x to this new bike might just be to get a comfortable seat.

If only it had a Frunk. That may be the most compelling reason NOT to switch up.

For single rider trips, OK, but for two up riding, comparing the NT1100 to the Goldwing is unrealistic. Show a passenger the accommodations and ask whether they would want to ride on the NT or a ‘Wing.
Absolutely true. 2-up is something I never think about. My wife doesn't like riding with me, and I really don't love taking pax for rides.

I can't imagine anyone comparing the NT1100 as a replacement to the Goldwing. Honda isn't.

My Ninja 300 has 40 hp and I get 55 mpg.
My NC700 has 47 hp and I get 66 mpg.
15% more hp and 20% more fuel economy with the Honda. I don't think I ride either of them drastically differently, and they are both "slow" bikes.

It has much more to do with design than "forcing" you to be slow.

Back