• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda going electric???

davidc83

Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bi
Visit site
Article regarding the possibility of Honda producing electric motorcycles...if not allowed, please delete...

We shall see If Honda comes through with electric. It’s all fantasy stuff at this time.

Bombardier claimed they would have an electric version of all of it’s toys by 2026 (I think). That means electric PWC, pontoon boat, 3 wheel road machine, snowmobile, etc. I look forward to seing that play out. Honda still being the most, I’ve owned more BRP products than other brands.

I have made a personal promise to myself to never buy another fully gasoline powered machine. It needs to be all electric or at least plug in hybrid with decent battery pack. The promise will be easy to keep, as electrics just work so much better and I am beginning to get little enjoyment from old school ICE vehicles.

I would like to try an electric bike for my daily rides. Most of my dailies fit into the range of an electric motorcycle. Of course the longer rides and trips won't.

I did test ride a Zero S a few years ago. My complaint at that time was the incredibly stiff suspension, and of course the price which was $6000 more than than what I paid for a new 2018 FJR.

If Honda brings out a decent electric and prices it in line with a comparable ice bike I might buy, ie: in the $10k range, I'd be game to give one a try.

We shall see If Honda comes through with electric. It’s all fantasy stuff at this time.

Bombardier claimed they would have an electric version of all of it’s toys by 2026 (I think). That means electric PWC, pontoon boat, 3 wheel road machine, snowmobile, etc. I look forward to seing that play out. Honda still being the most, I’ve owned more BRP products than other brands.

I have made a personal promise to myself to never buy another fully gasoline powered machine. It needs to be all electric or at least plug in hybrid with decent battery pack. The promise will be easy to keep, as electrics just work so much better and I am beginning to get little enjoyment from old school ICE vehicles.
Have you given up touring on a motorcycle?

Have you given up touring on a motorcycle?
Not yet. I have ample ICE motorcycle equipment to tour, likely until I am done with that activity due to age or lack of interest. The NC and Goldwing have many, many miles left in them. I even have a spare NC engine in a box should that be required. They can carry me through until EV range and charging infrastructure improve, and possibly swappable batteries come along, and enable practical electric motorcycle touring. Thus, no need to ever buy another ICE motorcycle, unless perhaps if one of mine is stolen or totaled before electric motorcycle options expand to the mainstream.

Innovation in gasoline powered motorcycles seems to me to have stagnated lately. The NC was once a refreshing change, but it’s introduction was long ago. Not much has come along since.

Not yet. I have ample ICE motorcycle equipment to tour, likely until I am done with that activity due to age or lack of interest. The NC and Goldwing have many, many miles left in them. I even have a spare NC engine in a box should that be required. They can carry me through until EV range and charging infrastructure improve and enable practical electric motorcycle touring. Thus, no need to ever buy another ICE motorcycle, unless perhaps if one of mine is stolen or totaled before electric motorcycle options expand to the mainstream.

Innovation in gasoline powered motorcycles seems to me to have stagnated lately. The NC was once a refreshing change, but it’s introduction was long ago. Not much has come along since.
I took "I am beginning to get little enjoyment from old school ICE vehicles" at face value.

I took "I am beginning to get little enjoyment from old school ICE vehicles" at face value.
The real message there was that the noise and vibration from gasoline engines is starting to become an annoyance, a detractor from the ride enjoyment. The most extreme example I own is the 2017 CRF250L. The bike’s suspension, handling, wind management, and comfort are good, but the shaking and noise from the engine makes a day’s worth of riding quite tiring. In contrast, the smoothness and quiet of an electric is more pleasant, to me. The NC is the second shakiest motorcycle engine I have, better than the CRF, but not refined in feel and “responsiveness“ like electric. It’s not that gas engines have changed, but my tastes have.

Edit to pile on: My wife’s Can-Am Ryker is comfortable and super easy to ride. The 900cc 3 cylinder engine comes to life with a restless, growling, wild horses feel that invokes excitement at first. But the engine noise and vibration soon cause fatigue on the ride, long before any ergonomic comfort issues set in. If/when Can-Am offers a suitable electric trike, we may be first in line.

Getting back on the Honda electric possibility, my initial vision on how that may play out, given that we have little to go on: The 500-700 equivalent bike will be stylish, with eye candy plastic work up. Ergonomics and comfort will be poor, with style taking priority over comfort. Off the line performance will be good, but range will be sacrificed. I suggest the range will be short for two reasons: 1) On ICE bikes Honda short changes range. Example CRF450L with only a 2 gallon gas tank, or the NC with under 4 gallons. Even the new Goldwing, a touring bike, carries less fuel than it’s predecessor. 2) Batteries are expensive on electric motorcycles. Honda will want to keep the price very competetive, and because of that I predict they will skimp on battery size.

I would love to see belt drive, but given Honda’s history, it may be chain drive.

I don’t expect an electric model introduction to be any time soon.

Last edited:
Getting back on the Honda electric possibility, my initial vision on how that may play out, given that we have little to go on: The 500-700 equivalent bike will be stylish, with eye candy plastic work up. Ergonomics and comfort will be poor, with style taking priority over comfort. Off the line performance will be good, but range will be sacrificed. I suggest the range will be short for two reasons: 1) On ICE bikes Honda short changes range. Example CRF450L with only a 2 gallon gas tank, or the NC with under 4 gallons. Even the new Goldwing, a touring bike, carries less fuel than it’s predecessor. 2) Batteries are expensive on electric motorcycles. Honda will want to keep the price very competetive, and because of that I predict they will skimp on battery size.

I would love to see belt drive, but given Honda’s history, it may be chain drive.

I don’t expect an electric model introduction to be any time soon.
670 did you see the numbers on the electric bike I linked to? How do the numbers look on that? Engine power, range, charging times etc .

I find it amazing thzt for $8500 it comes with crash bars and 3 pieces of ( no doubt cheap plastic) luggage, plus a center stand.

I read today that CSC is now importing an electric motorcycle for less than $9000. Belt drive, but only equalavent to 24 horsepower and 80mph top end, small battery, only about 100 mile range. I have to do more research on that one.
See post #9 for details, probably the same report you read

670 did you see the numbers on the electric bike I linked to? How do the numbers look on that? Engine power, range, charging times etc .

I find it amazing thzt for $8500 it comes with crash bars and 3 pieces of ( no doubt cheap plastic) luggage, plus a center stand.
This RX1E bike looks like a low power ADV wanna-be with the battery equivalent of a 1or 1.5 gallon gas tank. If that bike was used for daily, relatively short commutes to work, it might be OK, but then why so much luggage capacity? What I spot right away about the bike is the small battery. That, I believe, is why the price is so low.

Based on experience with my bike‘s range vs battery size, I predict the CSC’s practical range at 55 mph would be around 50-60 miles, at 70 mph maybe 45 miles. The side luggage will reduce range due to drag, so hopefully it’s removable. The article claims over 100 mile range, but does not specify a speed (I am not familiar with the NEDC that was mentioned). Wild guess, the RX1E might achieve the 100 mile range at something like 35 mph, or basically city speed. Disclaimer: I’m just guessing; did not do any math.

There is often some deception in the advertising. The low priced SONDORS Metacycle is touted with X speed capability and Y maximum range, but the truth is that X and Y cannot possibly be achieved at the same time. The Metacycle has an even smaller (4 kWh) battery than the CSC’s 6.16 kWh. To put this into perspective, my Zero DSR has a 14.4 kWh battery pack (and the DSR has a more powerful motor than the CSC’s - claimed 70hp vs 24hp). Zero specifies their range at city, at 55, and at 70 mph, and combinations thereof. I have found Zero’s range predictions to be quite accurate. Other manufacturers are not so forthcoming or transparent with range data.

As I said, my Zero has a 14.4 kWh battery, and I would want nothing less. (BTW, I also charge mine from a 15 amp 120 volt outlet). Newer Zero models have even more capacity. These SONDERS and CSC type electric bikes being offered for low, attractive prices have much smaller batteries. If range is your concern with electrics, these cheaper bikes are not what you want. Current technology batteries are expensive, and for now at least, you’ll have to pay for decent range.

In summary, and repeating my first paragraph, the CSC RX1E the appears to be (or want to be) an ADV bike, but the battery and range appear too small for the apparent intended purpose. Instead, this appears to be a short distance commuter, and you would charge it daily. For that usage, it would be just fine.

Back