• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda frunk power port?

2wheeledJim

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the power socket or 'cigarette lighter' installed in the frunk by a previous owner:
photo1654443209.jpeg
What can you do with it? The USB charger which inserts into the cigarette lighter in my car is too thick to go into this hole. Is there a name for this smaller size? Can I charge my phone using this port? It's Honda OEM fwiw, probably installed by the first owner who bought it new as an optional extra.

Never heard of a Hella Din port!
Cheers guys, this is exactly what I was after.

Since I have a 12V 1A sticker, I guess I have to be careful which USB charger I use...

Since I have a 12V 1A sticker, I guess I have to be careful which USB charger I use...
That is true. Even if you are only modestly handy, it is a very quick and easy job to swap with a more conventional 12V or USB A, C, or combination socket.

That is true. Even if you are only modestly handy, it is a very quick and easy job to swap with a more conventional 12V or USB A, C, or combination socket.
My understanding was I'd have to remove the side fairing which, from looking at youtube, seems to be quite a drawn out fiddly task? Or could I get away with just remove one piece of fairing and sliding a hand in to replace the Hella Din with one with USB ports?

I have a Hella DIN socket (appropriately wired and fused at 10 amps) on my NC as a result of the particular plastic panel being acquired from an NC owner that was also a BMW fan. Anyway I also acquired an adapter that allows me to use the Hella port with 2-pin SAE items (such as an SAE to USB adapter), so maybe an adapter would help you. Your 1 amp limitation, which is a Honda thing on their accessory ports, will be your biggest problem.
24CB36BF-D02D-410F-909D-D01F5000B6E0.jpeg

My understanding was I'd have to remove the side fairing which, from looking at youtube, seems to be quite a drawn out fiddly task? Or could I get away with just remove one piece of fairing and sliding a hand in to replace the Hella Din with one with USB ports?
It is a pain in the hind side the first time you remove your panels. But I think it’s just the two you’d have to remove. I think drawn out is mischaracterizing the process though. It doesn’t take very long. Getting it back in place can be (not always) a bit fiddly.

When you have had ALL the panels off a few times like me it becomes second nature and easy. It’s the first time that’s daunting, just grit your teeth and get stuck in.

My comments below assume this Hella socket is installed in the left side of the frunk box on your bike shown in your avatar.

On your 2012-2015 style body, shown in your avatar photo, you will need to remove the seat, left side fake duct, center panel just forward of the seat, and your light bar. You will need to loosen, but not remove, the left rear side cowl, then you will finally be able to remove the main left side cowl. This will give you full access to the outside left wall of the frunk box.

You might start by removing only the left fake duct and looking down inside to see what’s there and whether that alone gives you any working room.

I have done this so many times I have it memorized, but if you are doing it the first time, have a Honda manual handy. Or, if you locate a .pdf instuction sheet for installing a Honda frunk outlet, those instructions will include panel removal. The body clips are all the same but the screws have many variations and need to be put back in their original places.

Yes that's only 1A and fused using a dedicated fuse which is a real PIA to get to as it is bured under the side panel in the accessory wire harness. The OEM Honda kit uses a standard regular Cig lighter outlet. About all I use the Frunk port for is to charge my cell phone. My GPS may be wired into that same Honda accessory wire harness but fused separately. Coming from a BMW GS Airhead, the Honda port is definately not as robust, and in fact pretty wimpy at only 1A despite the NC having a robust charging system which is significanlty more efficient then my previous BMW Airhead which are known for weak charging.
On the plus side the NC battery is easy to access directly then can use separate fuses inline for each accessory individually. I carry a small tire inflator that I can just clip onto the battery if needed. I don't use the Frunk port to charge the battery as I would with my previous BMW GS Airhead and don't ride year round anymore (I'm old) here in the Northeast, too much hassle cleaning all the road salt. Instead, I remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger during the winter. At least Honda improved on the NC750X as a relatively inexpensive USB CHARGER P/N 08E73-MKW-D00 is offered as an accessory.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys!

I've ordered an adapter for Hella/DIN rated at 5V/2.1A. Since the input from the battery to the socket is 12V (with a 1A inline fuse) and the USB adapter is stepping down the voltage to 5V, should I be okay charging a phone without blowing the inline fuse?
i.e.
input 12V / 1A fuse
output 5V / 2.1A draw
Can I double the current if I step down the voltage to half?

Thanks for the input guys!

I've ordered an adapter for Hella/DIN rated at 5V/2.1A. Since the input from the battery to the socket is 12V (with a 1A inline fuse) and the USB adapter is stepping down the voltage to 5V, should I be okay charging a phone without blowing the inline fuse?
i.e.
input 12V / 1A fuse
output 5V / 2.1A draw
Can I double the current if I step down the voltage to half?
Sounds like a plan. I’d think that should charge your phone.

In theory you can double the output current if you halve the voltage. In reality there are some losses in the conversion that will dissipate as heat, so I doubt you’d get the full double current. It all depends on the circuit design used to step the voltage down.

Sounds like a plan. I’d think that should charge your phone.

In theory you can double the current if you halve the voltage. In reality there are some losses in the conversion that will dissipate as heat, so I doubt you’d get the full double current. It all depends on the circuit design used to step the voltage down.
Great. If the fuse blows then the decision is made for me - fairing's coming off at that point!

Don’t know where that Hella socket came from. It’s not a Honda USA part.

I’ve had some USB adapters blow the 1A fuse on my bike; the ‘rapid charger’ types often draw too much juice for sustained use.

You can change the fuse if you like, but be warned: The wire is tiny. I’ve no idea whether it will hold up to (as an example) a steady 2A current.

I have the same HONDA port accessory power port……..it’s been rewired, a 5 amp inline fuse installed for all the reasons mentioned prior. That said I found it not very convenient so it’s gets very little use. The same HONDA accessory wire harnesses powers my GPS. The HONDA plug on the harness was cut off and replaced with HONDA style female bullet connectors for better compatibility with other devices and their connectors.

I am picking up a 2018 NC 750 Wednesday. Have a thousand mile run back home and need GPS via phone. Can I hook up my iphone to be charged to a port in the Frunk? What cables do I need to do so? Thanks

I am picking up a 2018 NC 750 Wednesday. Have a thousand mile run back home and need GPS via phone. Can I hook up my iphone to be charged to a port in the Frunk? What cables do I need to do so? Thanks
Is this NC new or used? If used, do you know of any electrical modifications the previous owner may have made? If new, has the dealer installed any options, or installed an SAE pigtail used for charging the battery? In stock form, I‘m not sure, but I don’t believe the 2018 NC750X has any power port in the frunk. However, the battery is right in front of the frunk so you may be able to rig something temporarily.

It is a used bike, accessories like Shad seats, Givi cases, Leo something exhaust, madstadt windshield, quad lock etc. but no power ports. I was hoping the OEM included it. Thanks for the heads up, I will pick up a SAE to O ring adapter cable and hook it up to the battery. I have a battery tender USB adapter with same on other end.

I have a trip next week and won't be able to sort out my battery connections in time. I was thinking of using my 20,000mAh phone charge pack in the frunk and having a long usb cable coming out to the phone on my Quad Lock mount. Is there any reason that would be a bad idea? I can secure the charger in the frunk so it doesn't get knocked about too much - I'd have thought it would take more than a big speed hump to explode the thing! I can get a neoprene case for it too. Could the road vibrations do it any harm?
71ytBCYHNkL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Back