• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hobo back in the saddle again..

WooHoo!! Where ya headed next, Cowboy?!!:)

(Some day I’d like to meet the guy whose exploits on Nana Chou first sold me on the NC!)

:cool:

Last edited:
Cool. Is that an Africa Twin?

Yes, it is 2016 Africa Twin. I most always put 25,000 miles per year on my bike. However, since I purchased this Africa Twin, I have had both my knees replaced, two tooth extractions, and now a extended hospital stay, with 4 months wearing a life vest.

I do not know why this bike has so much bad luck. The first one I ordered was on the Honda assembly line in Japan when the Tsunami hit the plant. I was told that it would be at lease 6 to 8 months before I would see my special ordered Africa Twin DCT. And to add insult to injury, DCTFAN walked into a Atlanta dealership to find one that left Japan shortly before the Tsunami. He was nice enough to let me sit on his bike and dream... So, three years and only 25,000 miles.

Now my wife just found out she has cancer. Two operations that each took over 4 hours and 2 more to go.
After that she has to have her knee replaced.

I must admit that this Africa Twin DCT is the best adventure bike I have ever owned, and I do love it...

But oh, all these other problems. As a member said - Getting old is not for sissy’s.

And like any good Hobo - All I want to do is just RIDE.

Life is short but it sounds like you and yours are determined to make every moment count. Wishing the best to your wife.

Never give up...

Great that You are on the road again. I had an Africa Twin for 17,000 kms but parted with it for the X-ADV. Sadly it never lit my motorcycling fire but the X-Adv certainly has. It is a similar weight (238Kg) to the AT but carries its weight lower like its NC cousins.

Just curious, is DCT absolutely necessary for you on a bike nowadays OCR ?

Yes, it is 2016 Africa Twin. I most always put 25,000 miles per year on my bike. However, since I purchased this Africa Twin, I have had both my knees replaced, two tooth extractions, and now a extended hospital stay, with 4 months wearing a life vest.

I do not know why this bike has so much bad luck. The first one I ordered was on the Honda assembly line in Japan when the Tsunami hit the plant. I was told that it would be at lease 6 to 8 months before I would see my special ordered Africa Twin DCT. And to add insult to injury, DCTFAN walked into a Atlanta dealership to find one that left Japan shortly before the Tsunami. He was nice enough to let me sit on his bike and dream... So, three years and only 25,000 miles.

Now my wife just found out she has cancer. Two operations that each took over 4 hours and 2 more to go.
After that she has to have her knee replaced.

I must admit that this Africa Twin DCT is the best adventure bike I have ever owned, and I do love it...

But oh, all these other problems. As a member said - Getting old is not for sissy’s.

And like any good Hobo - All I want to do is just RIDE.
Very cool! Never stop man!

I sold my old rock crawler on Craigslist to a 68 yr old man that came all the way down to Alabama from Minnesota to buy it. He was full of more stories than anybody I have ever met. He was coming down to stay with his relatives in GA and go to the Masters golf tournament and wanted to find another crawler while he was down here. He sent me $900 through walmart to hold it for 2 months until he was coming down here. He stopped by my house on the way to GA, looked at it, paid me the rest of the $13k sale price in cash, left it there, went to GA to hang out with his family for a few weeks, then came back through and picked up my crawler and trailer and header back home to Minnesota.

Every phone convo was at least an hour long with him, and he talked forever in person both times. He had really done a lot of cool stuff in his life. Made his money in the mines around Minnesota and also mentioned that he made it down to Miami in a Corvette in some crazy short time to pick up a load of dope back in the 80's, so I guess he peddled drugs on the side too LOL.

Anyways, he was 68 and said he had been retired since he was 50. Said he had survived 3 different cancers and doing good to be able to get around as good as he was at 68. His sole piece of advice he offered me was to not slave my life away with a vision of this golden retirement, but to enjoy it and do the most I could while I was young and ABLE.

I will never forget that. As simple as that is, it really couldn't be more accurate.

So, glad to see you back on the road and enjoying yourself. Wake up and kick life's *** everyday until you can't.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great that You are on the road again. I had an Africa Twin for 17,000 kms but parted with it for the X-ADV. Sadly it never lit my motorcycling fire but the X-Adv certainly has. It is a similar weight (238Kg) to the AT but carries its weight lower like its NC cousins.

Just curious, is DCT absolutely necessary for you on a bike nowadays OCR ?

Off road is where the DCT shines.. You are always in the right gear for any situation as long has the DCT is in the S mode.
I do not miss shifting my auto, and I do not miss shifting my bike..... Like you at one time I would not have had a DCT. However, after traveling with Fuzzy for a while, I was convinced it is the way to go........

SO glad to hear that Sir. If you ever head west, let me know! Being semi-retired i can always take some time off and ride down and meet up for a ride and of course some PIE on me!! :{)

Back