• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

High revs and no power

Cajones92

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
So here's my issue. I got my 2015 NC700X used, with about 1,100 miles on it. It's my daily driver and I recently ran into an issue. When I was driving home, I suddenly lost quite a bit of power. I'm talking 50mph at the limiter in 6th gear. I had no issues before this. I took it into the dealership, and they said the clutch was "adjusted improperly", they charged me $150 to adjust it and sent me on my way. I drove it home perfectly fine, but I've been out quite a while due to a back injury so I haven't ridden for about 6 weeks. Last week I took it for a ride, and the same thing happened on the highway. If I give the throttle any amount of jump in 1st thru 3rd, it just revs and no power is translating to the wheel. After 4th, there's just no power at all, only revs. I have a fear that this is a more serious issue than I was lead to believe, but they said everything in the clutch looked fine (Although I don't believe they actually went through it...) Anyone else have this problem or perhaps any insight into what might be wrong? I'm taking it back to the dealer (I have an aftermarket warranty) but if it's something I can tweak on my own I'd love to know what happened. Thank you!

Edit: manual transmission, 5,600 miles currently

Last edited:
Your problem is possibly either improperly adjusted clutch cable freeplay, a sticky/misrouted/kinked clutch cable, badly sticking clutch lever pivot, or worn out clutch plates (or a remote possiblity is someone has used a wrong type of engine oil in the bike and messed up the clutch). Check your clutch freeplay by following the directions shown in your owner’s manual. Beyond that, since you have an “aftermarket warranty”, let the dealer fix it.

Your bike’s current mileage is too low to have worn out clutch plates unless it was abused.

You didn’t say your transmission type, but in my comments below I am assuming your bike has a manual transmission. If you have an automatic (DCT), please let us know.

Your problem is possibly either improperly adjust clutch cable freeplay, a sticky/misrouted/kinked clutch cable, badly sticking clutch lever pivot, or worn out clutch plates (or a remote possiblity is someone has used a wrong type of engine oil in the bike and messed up the clutch). Check your clutch freeplay by following the directions shown in your owner’s manual. Beyond that, since you have an “aftermarket warranty”, let the dealer fix it.

You didn’t say your bike’s current mileage, but I’m guessing it’s way too low to have worn out clutch plates unless it was abused.
I updated the original just in case anyone else needs the info. Definitely not abused, and I was also leery of the oil so I changed it to the honda recommended oil and that didn't help. Thank you for the info, I'll go adjust the clutch to spec and see if that helps, I just don't understand why, if it was already adjusted properly, that it would have the same issue again less than 100 miles after it was already done. Thank you so much for the reply!

In my opinion, any service work a dealer does needs to be inspected and verified by the motorcycle owner.

My first though was with 670 cc, an oil with energy conserving additives was used (always check the label if not using motorcycle specific oil)...If this type of oil was used (valvoline 10w40 comes to mind), changing the oil will not fix the issue...the clutch plates would have been glazed (and just looking at the clutch may not be apparent) and no amount of oil changes will fix it....new clutch gears ( a new clutch) will need to be installed. If the oil has the following labels, do NOT use in a wet clutch (our bikes have wet clutches-uses the same oil as the engine...
1607979970690.png

drive train is engine, transmission, front sprocket, chain, and rear sprocket and rear wheel...if engine is running, rpms are going up, but no power to the rear wheel, it is in the transmission (usually clutch is fubar) or chain,,,front sprocket, rear sprocket...you could pull the front sprocket cover to ensure their is no damage to the front sprocket and there is no play in the sprocket spindle (if it moves in and out, it is fubar), check the proper chain slack, and check the rear sprocket for damage...one other thing, put bike on center stand, put bike in neutral, grab chain and move it in either direction...is the rear wheel turning with accordance to the rear sprocket--no slipping of the sprocket (sprocket turning but wheel isnt)....

Back