• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hi from The Netherlands

rpvanoyen

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm René (45) and own an 2003 Yamaha FJR1300A. However, due to acute rheumatoid arthritis which started March last, it would be a smart choice to replace it with a lighter bike once the RA is under control in a few months. So I asked my motorcycle shop to find me a Honda NC750X DCT. I like the looks and trust on many owner reviews I've found so far.

I would like to have installed some additional items like an engine guard, center stand, Hyperpro front & rear springs and Clearwater Glenda lights beside the radiator.

My goal is to ride again by August 3rd this year because it's my birthday then...

Sent by Motorola Moto G 4G

Welcome! I hope everything works out for you as planned.

Rene, Welcome to our little forum. I hope they get your RA under control. As much as I love my NC700X I also am very fond of riding my ST1300, I would miss it very much if I could not ride it.

Thank you all for the warm words of welcome.

@dduelin, I really love my FJR, loads of power and torque, and despite it's already 13 years old, still she goes like it's new.
As especially my hands and whrists have become the weak spots, I'm afraid that handling the FJR on low speeds and tight cornering, will damage the joints in near future.
My wife doesn't get on the back seat anymore for the last 5 years, so changing to a lighter and easier to handle bike seems like a very smart thing to do.

An automatic gearbox would be ideal, but as I find all motorcycle scooters hideous creations, the number of affordable bikes can be counted on one hand.
When I had read about Honda's DCT, I knew from that moment, I have to have that one.

The "X" model looks very good and I hope to find and learn from the experiences from others.
Improving grip and riding stability, as well as visibility to cagers, has my highest priority.

Just an update on me and my future bike.

I recently started with Methotrexate injections to attack my RA, and if everything goes as planned and without issues, my joints should improve within a month or so. Meanwhile I ride my bicycle (that thing without an engine...) again so I can get myself some Italian icecream in the town square. ;) The next step is to drive my (manual transmission and no power steering) sports car again, I'm really looking forward on that. :cool:

I haven't got a NC750XD yet (which is fine, still not able to ride it anyway), but I DO like to shop so I have bought some "decorations" already;
>> head light upgrade with a Philips City Vision Moto H4 halogen bulb (pure white beam, orange glow in reflector which makes you stand out in busy traffic, and the inside of the bulb is much more vibration resistant)
>> parking light upgrade with a LED T10 5*SMD (cheap, very bright, 1 Watt output and well visible in bright sunlight)
>> radiator guard, laser cut in 1/12" stainless steel, made by SP Engineering (UK)
>> dual strong tone horn set from Hella (value range, 114dB at 7', black, only 3" in diameter)
>> RamMount ball with M8 bolt (to be fixed on the handle bar clamp)
>> chain lock from AXA (type Newton ProMoto 4 series, 5 feet chain length) as my large U-lock doesn't fit on the bike

Further, I changed my preference from a set expensive Clearwater spot lights to a more usable sturdy top case with a 10.5 gallons / 22 pounds load capacity (GIVI MonoKey V40). To go on a weekend trip, a total luggage capacity of 16 gallons would be sufficient, and the bike keeps its small profile.

Also, I have been looking for an ajustable windscreen and the Madstad would be ideal. Don't know what height would be best. I'm 6'3" 210lb but my inner leg length is 3', torso height from seat would be around 2'7". With the screen in the lowest setting, I prefer the top of the screen to be at chin height. When in highest setting, I probably can look over the top of the screen. I hope this is clear enough for you to visualize. ;)
What would be the best suitable screen height to choose? My first impression would be the 20" one?

Well, again a lot of text on a Sunday morning... :cool:

Tja och Varmt välkommen!
Kul med lite nytt folk från den här sidan av "pölen"
Vem vet vi kanske syns på någon hoj väg i sommar!

Ha det bäst! Lucas

Hi Lucas, though I'm going on a holiday not on a motorcycle but with a RV in two weeks, I DO cross country the south of Sweden our second week. But I must warn you, as my muscle power in my hands is still low, I probably do not drive in a straight line :p

@LuckyBike's... I enjoyed our trip (by RV) through Norway and Sweden very much, and had an overkill with sunshine, not expected though.
I liked Sweden best as the roads were almost empty, smooth asphalt, wide and curvy. And a lot of green as far as I could see. Very nice and helpful people also. Should return someday with the new bike.

To all... Yes, today I signed the purchase contract for a brand new 2015 model NC750XD, a black and white beauty. She will be dressed up with a Honda center stand, HyperPro suspension, Pirelli Angel GT tires, Givi Monokey beautycase, Pro-Oiler system with GPS module (speed based chain oiler), extended front fender, RamMount steering clamp ball (for the Garmin Zumo 350LM), CTEK battery charger connector (also to hook up a mini compressor), SP Engineering stainless steel radiator guard and a Hella dual tone horn set (to scare off death cagers if nessessary). Within a few weeks she's ready for me to hit the roads. :cool:

Sorry guys, it has been too long ago since my last message... Here's another update...

I'm on full medication and I'm doing well, the RA is reducing and I'm probably half-way now. I'm able to be useful around the house, can use my joints but there are better and worse days.

The best news is that on July 14th, I picked up my brand new NC750XD (model 2015) and did my first ride this year. What a wonderful bike this is, and so easy to handle. The Pro-Oiler system is perfect, never have to worry for unsufficient lubrication of the chain.

On July 31st I passed the 1000 kms mark (600 miles) while riding my first ride with my MC buddies, and it was great. I really missed this.

fawm_nc4_03.jpg

Congrats. I gave up my BMW K1200GT due to carpal tunnel problems in my left hand that makes shifting very painful. The DCT is pretty amazing and I don't miss shifting at all. So, you are in good company. RA runs in my family as well. I'm 50 and my Dad didn't get any symptoms until he was 70. So, hopefully I won't get hit with it for a long time. The Methotrexate works great for him. Took a few months to make a significant difference but it has made his life a lot better since he went on it. Not sure how you feel about the seat yet, but most people replace theirs and/or do the seat mod to take away it's slant towards the Frunk. Do a search on the seat mod here to see what I'm talking about. The stock seat was a killer for me. Lots of tailbone pain. I put on a Shad seat and did the slope mod and can do 500 miles a day now without any soreness. Hope you continue to enjoy your new NC.

Thanks for the info. I'm on MTX also, went within the second month from 15mg dose to 25mg, though I suffer from having less energy.

The NC seat is quite firm which forces me to have a short rest every hour or so. Not too bad, and I like to invest in a better/larger screen first. Probably a Madstad in 20 or 22 inch.

Last edited:
Today (August 6th) pulled the measuring tape up from the bottom of the fly screen with a 60 degree angle and came to the conclusion that the 20 inch Madstad would be the right one for me. Low enough to easily look over it and tall enough for additional coverage from less nice elements. I don't have to read the news paper while riding so a little bit of breeze and noise is okay... :cool: So I ordered it this afternoon from the European distributor in the UK.

Hi all!

Many "things" have happened since my last post (3 years ago... Sorry...). I know for sure that state the weblinks instead of typing the whole story here, will be the best option. Nevertheless all contributions combined, it's probably way too much information to read. It's in my nature to be thorough... :cool:

Of course the accessoires/improvements to my NC (BMV - Webmaster's Motorhoekje) and other additions (BMV - Webmaster's Motorhoekje).
I also had to make some changes in the electrical system, quite simple though yet neccessary for flawless and safe operation (BMV - Techniekhoekje).
As this boosted my self-confidence, I did my first full oil change: BMV - Techniekhoekje.

There has also taken place a big change in my life and future: BMV - Het stuur om!.

All links refer to the website of my local motorcycle association - which I control btw - and therefor it is in Dutch, but I assume you can translate it into your own language within your browser. Only text into photos will not be translated.

Great to have you back checking in RPV. I too have suffered from those same symptoms due to Gout/RA and also take MTX combined with Proben/Colch and bi-monthly infusions of something else i cant remember at this time. I too have been riding a manual NC and have been seriously considering selling it to get the DCT version. I sure love riding it and don't want to get rid of it but my fingers/wrists get so terribly sore/painful that it is very difficult to work the clutch at best and unbearable most of the time. I think a DCT would be the best way to keep riding!

Hope you are otherwise doing very well with your RA treatments and have your condition under control.

:{)

Back