• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hex head bolt? ??

frog13

Reaction score
Visit site
Below the crankshaft hole cap there's the battery box drain tube. My question is this: Just inboard of the battery box drain tube on the underside of the engine there's a hex head bolt. It looks to have a copper washer and there's a painted green dot right beside this bolt. What is this bolt for?...... additional drain for a fluid???. TIA

Engine coolant crankcase barrel drain drain bolt is roughly above the catalyst.

I’m not certain which bolt you mean, frog13. I’ll try to have a look under my bike tomorrow afternoon or evening, but could you post a pic?
You’re talking about the left side (where the alternator & stator are), correct? And are you talking about a bolt that comes out to the side, or does it ‘point’ straight down?

When they switched to sealed batteries a long time ago, they did away with the battery drain tube.

Mine definitely has a battery box drain tube.
Bigbird........coolant drain bolt is up by the exhaust / head area, generally speaking.
MZ5......unable to post a pic unfortunately. But, where the battery box drain tube is located ( gear shifter side of bike) , venture semi diagnally towards the engine oil drain bolt , it'll be between those 2 points, generally speaking......it is a vertical flat bolt with a hex access.......on mine there's a painted green dot (factory mark) by this bolt. Sounds odd but it's there. If anyone trusts me enough, PM me your cell number and I can send a pic that way.....I'm technically challenged other wise.....lol. TIA

Is the bolt shown in the attached illustration?C95E0C14-C717-4404-88C8-528310FCEB5D.jpeg

It "may" be #11..... not sure though.
Reason why this question exists. In my FSM in the coolant change section / procedure page 8-7 at the top ,it advises to replace both drain bolts prior to refilling . Could be a typo? , but, the hex key / wrench bolt I'm referring to does exist.....at least on my 2014 unit. Hopefully my inquiry hasn't caused any undue stress .

It "may" be #11..... not sure though.
Reason why this question exists. In my FSM in the coolant change section / procedure page 8-7 at the top ,it advises to replace both drain bolts prior to refilling . Could be a typo? , but, the hex key / wrench bolt I'm referring to does exist.....at least on my 2014 unit. Hopefully my inquiry hasn't caused any undue stress .
I think item 25 is the lowest coolant drain point (I’m not near my bike to confirm). No coolant exists below the level of the cylinders.

Just went and looked under the bike. Bolt #11 in the parts diagram 670cc posted could be it. It's just inboard of the rear mount bolt for the battery tray drain hose holder.

If you look on page 14-8 in the 2012 factory service manual, you'll be able to see the bolt that _I believe_ frog13 is referring to in both the third and fourth pictures from the top of the page. Frog can confirm or controvert my thought.

If that's the bolt in question, it is in a semi-circular 'trough' that runs across the engine which is centered under the crankcase main journal. That suggests to me that this bolt seals the lower main bearing oil gallery. Why there would be an external hole there at the end of the main bearing oil gallery I'm uncertain of just off the top of my head. Maybe it's a holdover from the casting process(?).

Frog, I've circled an allen-head bolt in black in the attached photo. The photo is from the FSM, but it's looking 'up' from underneath the engine, and forward on the motorcycle is the top of the picture. This means the circled bolt is on the left side of the motorcycle (shifter side). Is that the bolt you mean?

Attachments

• manual pic.jpg
    manual pic.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Just went and looked under the bike. Bolt #11 in the parts diagram 670cc posted could be it. It's just inboard of the rear mount bolt for the battery tray drain hose holder.

If you look on page 14-8 in the 2012 factory service manual, you'll be able to see the bolt that _I believe_ frog13 is referring to in both the third and fourth pictures from the top of the page. Frog can confirm or controvert my thought.

If that's the bolt in question, it is in a semi-circular 'trough' that runs across the engine which is centered under the crankcase main journal. That suggests to me that this bolt seals the lower main bearing oil gallery. Why there would be an external hole there at the end of the main bearing oil gallery I'm uncertain of just off the top of my head. Maybe it's a holdover from the casting process(?).

Frog, I've circled an allen-head bolt in black in the attached photo. The photo is from the FSM, but it's looking 'up' from underneath the engine, and forward on the motorcycle is the top of the picture. This means the circled bolt is on the left side of the motorcycle (shifter side). Is that the bolt you mean?
Yes, that appears to be it!.

Reactions: MZ5
Also known in aviation as 'internal wrenching' fastener.
Pen markings denote torque verifications.
"Pen markings denote torque verifications"......Meaning , an indicator that it's been torqued properly during factory assembly ?. TIA

Nor in mine. I feel pretty confident in my above guess as to what it plugs, but why it's there is pure speculation for me (and not based on much).

Back