• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Help! Please

Slowhand

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought Honda 750 X/DCT. Feel like a moron after riding it for the first time. I rode 24 miles with the parking brake on. Speeds up to 60 miles an hour. Rode an add 40 miles after disengaging. How much damage did I do? Noticed vibration before and after. Never having been on a DCT and it being brand new, I didn't know ride quality ornormal

Do you have vibration when you apply rear brake pedal only? If you do it's possible you overheated the rear brake rotor and warped it. There should not be any vibration until brake is applied.

Check the parking brake pads for excessive wear. Probably need to replace them based on other people doing the same thing. My 2013 bought used at 7300 miles had excessively worn parking brake pads which I replaced. The previous owner probably rode some distance like you did. The rotor was fine, just the pads where worn.

I couldn't get a picture of mine showing the edges of the pads that will indicate how much friction material is remaining but you might get the idea of where to look from the picture. The inspection mirror is showing the edge of the rear brake rotor looking up into the caliper that holds the parking brake pads against the rotor. Arrow points to image of edge of rotor. The pads "sandwich" either side of the rotor and should have about 3 mm or 3/32" of friction material remaining.

IMG_2975(1).jpg

Last edited:
I guarantee you are not the first person to do that. I have done it more than once. May need to adjust your parking brake after doing that. If you put the parking brake on but the bike still rolls, check out this video:
I know there are a number of these on YouTube if this one isn't clear enough for you.

I can’t help the OP as I have no experience with the NC parking brake. However, whenever I hear these type stories, I wonder why Honda made the NC parking brake engage so lightly that it could go unnoticed? My Zero has a hand operated parking brake. There is no way you can ride with the brake engaged as it is so strong, the bike simply will not move under power with the parking brake engaged. I think it’s the same on our Reflex scooter. You can’t ride away with the brake on because she won’t go.

Oh well, back to the NC brake discussion . . .

 See
I guarantee you are not the first person to do that. I have done it more than once. May need to adjust your parking brake after doing that. If you put the parking brake on but the bike still rolls, check out this video:
I know there are a number of these on YouTube if this one isn't clear enough for you.

On my Goldwing DCT I had a Parking Brake Interlock Harness from Electrical Connection. This harness stops your DCT Transmission from going into gear whenever the parking brake is engaged. Called the dealer who installed that for me to see if they could install it on my NC750X. They said no (thought not sure why). Electrical Connection does not mention the NC on their website. Should just be the way it works!

On my Goldwing DCT I had a Parking Brake Interlock Harness from Electrical Connection. This harness stops your DCT Transmission from going into gear whenever the parking brake is engaged. Called the dealer who installed that for me to see if they could install it on my NC750X. They said no (thought not sure why). Electrical Connection does not mention the NC on their website. Should just be the way it works!
Probably because the 6th gen Goldwing is Canbus with computers communicating with each other in order to control everything. The NC is old school electrical system.

Probably because the 6th gen Goldwing is Canbus with computers communicating with each other in order to control everything. The NC is old school electrical system.
Old school yes, but old school could work at the OEM level. It’s been awhile since I rode a DCT NC, but I assume the DCT will not allow a ride away with the sidestand down due to the side stand interlock switch. In a similar way, an OEM old school interlock switch at the parking brake lever could prevent the DCT from engaging Drive mode. Honda probably saved a few dollars by not designing in such a simple interlock.

Old school yes, but old school could work at the OEM level. It’s been awhile since I rode a DCT NC, but I assume the DCT will not allow a ride away with the sidestand down due to the side stand interlock switch. In a similar way, an OEM old school interlock switch at the parking brake lever could prevent the DCT from engaging Drive mode. Honda probably saved a few dollars by not designing in such a simple interlock.
I was only speaking to why I believe the interlock kit from Electrical Connection doesn't plug and play on the NC.

Just bought Honda 750 X/DCT. Feel like a moron after riding it for the first time. I rode 24 miles with the parking brake on. Speeds up to 60 miles an hour. Rode an add 40 miles after disengaging. How much damage did I do? Noticed vibration before and after. Never having been on a DCT and it being brand new, I didn't know ride quality ornormal

Not clear on the vibration ? However I reckon at worst You wore the pads some, and as suggested above some adjustment will be required. My X-Adv has a warning light to try to avoid such situations. However if in a hurry it would be possible to miss it.

There is a big red "parking brake on" warning light on the dash... lower rh corner. Did you not look down at your instruments for 24 miles? You must have if you know you were going 60 mph? Is your " parking brake on" warning light not working?

I rarely use my parking brake. If I park on a slope, but that's really, really rare. I don't bother with it if I'm on flat ground, I just turn the bars and lock the forks. 99 percent of the time I don't even lock the forks, just turn them when I park it, especially if using the centerstand. I probably havent used my parking brake 2 dozen times in the year and 8 months/24,000 miles I've owned the bike.

It’s understandable in or on a new machine not to notice everything that is indicated or going on. I drove without the headlights on for awhile in a new minivan because the dash was all lit up and I assumed that meant the headlights were on. No.

I got gas for my wife’s new Ryker and then couldn’t restart the machine. I pushed it over to a parking space and pondered for a while what could be wrong. Eventually I figured out it was operator error because I didn’t yet understand how the electronic key functioned. There was a 30 second timeout for me to hit the starter button, which I had allowed to expire while I was messing with the dashboard resetting the trip meter. I was also intially confused with the Ryker’s parking brake operation. I wasn’t sure if I might be riding with the brake on, but it turns out that by design it is impossible to ride that machine at all with the parking brake on.

So, ya, on an all new bike I can see there being a parking brake light or symbol on and me being oblivious to what it was trying to tell me.

Warning lights on dash boards are pretty important, and are made to be noticable at a glance, like when the PGMFI light popped up on mine a couple weeks ago (which had never happened before) and it immediately caught my attention before I went 50 yards. The parking brake light should be noticable in your peripheral vision while verifying you have shifted from neutral into gear. I'm trying to verify if his warning light was even working, and how he might have missed it when noticing his speedometer which is right next to it. When you hit the starter its one of 3 lights that stay on on the dash board if the parking brake is activated. The other 2 are yellow tc light and the yellow abs light which would both go out at about 6 mph leaving the bright red parking brake warning light the only light left on, on the entire dashboard.

Not trying to slam him, I'm trying to understand why/how he might have missed it. I tend to look at my instruments a lot, verifying the tc and abs lights go out, verifying shifts/what gear it's in, rpms, what speed Im going, what voltage it's reading, what the fuel level is.

also the before and after vibration he felt, may be the 270 degree "throb" inherent in this engine., which can be especially noticeable to someone who has never ridden with this engine configuration before.

We need him to check back in with an update.

For those not familiar with the 21 + DCT dash, here's what it looks like when you turn on the key on all the various warning lights come on (notice the gear indicator, tach and the speedo which it runs thru all the numbers to make sure they are working ... it's not really in 6th above redline going 180 mph lol). The water temp, oil pressure, high beam,and PGMFI light go out as soon as the numbers all cycle and the voltage gauge, fuel gauge, trip meter and clock then come on.

sgxZKQ7h.jpg

Here's what it looks like when the bike is started in neutral with the parking brake on...all the lights go out except the Neutral light, the TC, the ABS and the Parking brake lights

4YWyNQhh.jpg

and here's what it looks like after being put in gear and ridden about 30 feet so that the TC and ABS lights go out but with the parking brake on

nAqD2mzh.jpg

btw I had to stop and put the parking brake on for that picture. On my bike I could not move it out of the garage by hand with the parking brake on

also found these pics in my files of the rear brake pads

Y3LBJT8h.jpg

and the parking brake pads

UBA2F3Oh.jpg

Last edited:
Back