• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Headlight

Big Thump

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Aw man! I got on to ride to work this morning and noticed the high beam light was on. Dark out so I hit the low beam switch and it did not go off. I get off bike and sure enough my headlight is out. So, I am guessing a fuse blew. Anyone have this happen? Does the light have it's own dedicated fuse? I didn't check the horn, but everything else is working on the bike.

At least I have a couple of backup bikes to ride so I made it to work on time. I gravitate to the Honda most of the time.

I have some troubleshooting to do when I get home though.

More likely the filaments are open than a fuse. I would measure the bulb with a multimeter or try a new one. Any fuses involved would be right there in the fuse panel next to the battery. Open fuses can usually be identified with visual inspection.

It might also be worthwhile to see if the connector behind the bulb is tightly seated.

Thanks and will check it all when I get home. A little odd if both filaments go bad at same time. Have not ridden in the rain lately or washed the bike. I'll check the fuse first since it is easy and then reach down and reseat the connector. If still bad, I will check the bulb.

Aw man! I got on to ride to work this morning and noticed the high beam light was on. Dark out so I hit the low beam switch and it did not go off. I get off bike and sure enough my headlight is out. So, I am guessing a fuse blew. Anyone have this happen? Does the light have it's own dedicated fuse? I didn't check the horn, but everything else is working on the bike.

It is not unheard of the bulb burning out or vibration "Killing" the filiment/s. Go to Auto Zone, Pep Boys, or Napa to pick up a Halogen H4 (9003) Bulb. I recommend the Slyvania SilverStar®

I am very familiar with lighting products. I would recommend a bulb with a light temperature between 3,500 to 4,300 Degrees Kelvin. I'd recommend going with the one as close as possible to the 4,300 or slightly over. These figures refer to the color of the light, for those whom are not familiar with light temperatures. The light will be more "Whiter & Brighter". Be advised, that some of these bulbs will have "Shorter" operating hours, typically 500 to 1,000 hours, sometimes less...

Ideally you would want a light temperature of 6,000 Degrees Kelvin, but you have to go to HID to get that light temperature, which these bulbs require a High Voltage Ballast and additional wiring.

Be sure to check your fuse as well. I would still recommend replacing the headlight bulb regardless for safety reasons.

I'm sure you probably already know this but if the bulb is burned out make sure you don't touch the glass part of the new bulb with your bare fingers when installing. The oil from your skin can cause premature failure of the bulb.

I agree the Silverlights are bright! I too have used them and had very early burn out. I keep my running lights on during the day for extra safety. I do keep some cotton gloves in my shop for handling bulbs. Thanks all!

I tried those Silverstars in my Honda truck which uses the same H4 bulb. Great improvement in visibility at night. First one burned out in a month. Replaced it with another and within 2 months had repaced the second and third with standard bulbs.

I have been running these on my ST1300 for over 6 months. I was riding this bike almost every day before getting the NC700X. They have been working and still working without any issues. I personally perfer the "Whiter" colored light.

As I stated earlier that these bulbs are not "Standard" H-4s and will not last as long. Things like upping the brightness and or changing the light temperature with the mixture of gases to create the different light temperatures effect their service life. This is true of all manufactures. If you want a long lasting bulb, then go with the bulb that Honda sells and pay significantly more than the corner Auto Parts store for an equivalent.

There's my 2¢ worth...

Last edited:
noticed the high beam light was on. Dark out so I hit the low beam switch and it did not go off. I get off bike and sure enough my headlight is out.

A little odd if both filaments go bad at same time.

So I'm confused as all get out here, lol.

-Your high beam was on.

-You switched to low beam, but the high beam stayed on.

-Then you say you looked at the headlight, but there wasn't any light?

-Mention of no light, and then confirmation of this by the statement: "...odd if both filaments go bad at the same time"

So. Yes, it would be extremely odd for both to go at the same time. Not unheard of, but I've never in my life had that happen.

I'm still puzzled by the first quote of yours though. Could you have meant the high beam Indicator was on, versus the actual high beam? And the indicator stayed on, even though there was no light from either high or low beam at the bulb, and the switch in either position made no change to the Indicator being lit?

If this were the case, then I would kinda doubt the bulb being at fault, but it's easy enough to check visually with the bulb removed, and/or replacing it with a known good one.

I've never had a high beam indicator stay on with a bulb fault.

Brillo - I guess I didn't realize from your first post that there was such a difference. You sound like you know way more about this than I do. I probably had the wrong Silverlight bulb that burned out. I will try picking up the bulb you refer to at Autozone and give it a try. I like bright light. Thanks for your advice.

L.B.S. - Yes, I meant the high beam indicator. Yes, it stayed on even though I switched to low beam. I was thinking the indicator on might be a Honda built in safety for letting me know the bulb was completely out or a fuse is blown. At least I hope that is all it is. I'll know after I get home from work to check it out.

Brillo - I guess I didn't realize from your first post that there was such a difference. You sound like you know way more about this than I do. I probably had the wrong Silverlight bulb that burned out. I will try picking up the bulb you refer to at Autozone and give it a try. I like bright light. Thanks for your advice.

L.B.S. - Yes, I meant the high beam indicator. Yes, it stayed on even though I switched to low beam. I was thinking the indicator on might be a Honda built in safety for letting me know the bulb was completely out or a fuse is blown. At least I hope that is all it is. I'll know after I get home from work to check it out.

I would eye the headlight switch as being a possible culprit. Maybe the contacts in the switch have some corrosion or something mucking up stuff in there. Why this would cause no light from the bulb is strange.

There is enough electronic gimmickry on this bike that I'm out of my comfort zone with a good diagnosis though! Interested to see what the fuse check reveals. Good hunting!

I'm glad that I was able to change your prospective regarding the subject... :)

Like "Silverhound" stated, do not touch the bulb with your bare hands. The oils on your finger mixed with the extreme temperatures these bulbs operate at will shorten their service life.

All my experience with bulbs and other lighting carries over from my Custom LED Business. If you or any others would like to see what I do in this area are welcome to visit my website Bulbsthatlast4ever™. I focus mostly on Vintage & Classics Motorcycles. Also check out my gallery to see some of the projects that I have gone over the years. I have "Tested" many LED Replacement Bulbs intended for "Automotive Applications" and some for "Home Use" too. Ask me any questions that you many have regarding LEDs.

Last edited:
Thanks for that offer Brillo!

Well, I got home and before doing anything else, I reseated the connection and voila! Fixed! I guess Hondas vibrate a little more than I thought. However, now I know that if I see the high beam indicator on and it won't go off when switched to low beam, I will check that first.

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions.

I am going to try that bulb you suggest and hopefully brighten up my world a little more.

It might also be worthwhile to see if the connector behind the bulb is tightly seated.

Well, I got home and before doing anything else, I reseated the connection and voila! Fixed! I guess Hondas vibrate a little more than I thought. However, now I know that if I see the high beam indicator on and it won't go off when switched to low beam, I will check that first.

I win!! :eek:

It is not unheard of the bulb burning out or vibration "Killing" the filiment/s. Go to Auto Zone, Pep Boys, or Napa to pick up a Halogen H4 (9003) Bulb. I recommend the Slyvania SilverStar®

I am very familiar with lighting products. I would recommend a bulb with a light temperature between 3,500 to 4,300 Degrees Kelvin. I'd recommend going with the one as close as possible to the 4,300 or slightly over. These figures refer to the color of the light, for those whom are not familiar with light temperatures. The light will be more "Whiter & Brighter". Be advised, that some of these bulbs will have "Shorter" operating hours, typically 500 to 1,000 hours, sometimes less...

Ideally you would want a light temperature of 6,000 Degrees Kelvin, but you have to go to HID to get that light temperature, which these bulbs require a High Voltage Ballast and additional wiring.

Be sure to check your fuse as well. I would still recommend replacing the headlight bulb regardless for safety reasons.

what kind of bulb would I use to replace a high beam that's out?

what kind of bulb would I use to replace a high beam that's out?

The bulb type you are referring to is commonly know as H4 or 9003. Please bare in mind that a Halogen bulbs is still a filiment type bulb. It may last 500 to 1,000 hours of use.

Me personally, I replaced my Headlight Bulb with a H4 LED Bulb.

Also take a look at this thread LED Headlight H4 Bulb, start with my post #33 regarding the unit that I picked up.

Attachments

• IMG_2857.jpg
    IMG_2857.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 113
Back