• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Headlight trigger from option harness?

Reaction score
Visit site
I am currently installing a fuzeblock and have the side panel off to install an "ignition on" wire from the option harness. Thinking ahead, I might want to someday install dual intensity driving lights, so does the option harness have a high beam "trigger" I could tap into?

Thanks for your help!

Yes. On the US spec NC700X, one of the four accessory harness plugs includes a pin that goes hot when the high beam is on. I use it to trigger my aux driving lights from dim to full bright when I go to high beam.

I am guessing it is the one plug with three wires going in and the blue on is the trigger? I wonder why i did not pick up a voltage when I measured it?

I am guessing the connector is a 4 pin 2.8mm - .110 Male and Female locking connector from here?

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
Yes. On the US spec NC700X, one of the four accessory harness plugs includes a pin that goes hot when the high beam is on. I use it to trigger my aux driving lights from dim to full bright when I go to high beam.

I do the same.

Another quick question: Do you fuse the trigger wire coming out of the option harness?

No additional fuse added. That circuit would already be fused by the stock fuseblock. I assume the additional load on the headlight signal at the harness is intended to be minimal. If you were attempting to actually run a load device off that wire, you would need to go to the schematic and see what it's capable of.

The +12 volt leads at the accessory plugs, as you probably know, are fused at 7.5 amps total via the fuse added when the harness is installed.

Ok, I still do not have voltage change on any of the wires when the high beam is on. Not even when I check directly at the big plug the option harness is plugged into. Could it be that the DCT is wired differently?

The third wire in the 4P accessory harness connector should go to 12 volt (referenced to frame ground or the ground wire in the connector) when the bike key is on and the high beam is on. DCT vs manual should not matter. Some other country models have different signals at the actual Option 6P connector that the harness plugs into, but US models should all have that high beam signal. If you don't, well then, something is broke.

Last edited:
The below picture shows the connectors, the blue wire, top right in the male connecor, goes to an empty female connector... IMG_6019.jpg

???

I also checked all the harness female connectors, no voltage change with switch of the headlight switch. :confused:

Dang. I guess it's time for someone with a 2014 service manual wiring schematic to verify if Honda changed the wiring harness. My service manual is a 2012, so I can't be of much help.

Edit to add: In my 2012 service manual, all X model schematics show a blue wire in the option 6 P connector. The S model (not available in the USA), does not have the blue wire.

Last edited:
I don't have 2012 U.S. service manual anymore, but I have "global" wiring diagrams for 2012 and 2015 NC750 and U.S. CTX700.
All of them have couple of things in common for Option 6P connector:
- V/R (violet/red) wire goes to optional fuse #1 which requires OP Relay.
- R/W (red/white) wire is always powered (power for combination meter).
- Lb (Light Blu) and O (Orange) are connected to position lights and I think are used for auxiliary fog lights.
I don't see any wire connected to high beam.
So, to have switchable circuit only V/R wire can be used (and Green) for which you need Honda relay and fuse.

View attachment 28080

View attachment 28081

Models outside USA have different functions in the Option connector so I'd caution against using any schematic for an NC750. And of course, the CTX is a different model as well.

Models outside USA have different functions in the Option connector so I'd caution against using any schematic for an NC750. And of course, the CTX is a different model as well.

I didn't say to use different diagram.
I said that in all of them only one wire - V/R (violet/red) is switchable by ignition switch and none from high beam circuit.
So the chances are that for 2014 U.S. model might be similar.

Forget other wires. Just make sure voltmeter is used correctly.

PS, If you need trigger from high beam circuit you need to tap directly to Bu (Blue) wire from dimmer switch.

Last edited:
2012 NC700XD schematic below has blue wire in option connector 40% down the page on far right. This wire traces over to high beam of headlight bulb halfway down far left side. Only thing I can say is the wiring has changed on a 2014.

Tried to post photo but Apple won't play well with others. Poor clarity and inverted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Back