• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Have you had your panels off?

I'm not talking about speed here; never broached the topic. Nor am I discussing metal v plastic. Again, it's a fine bike, and yes, maintenance is minimal. But from a worst case scenario (which you've got to consider for LD solo riding) the KLR would be a better choice, especially if you want to debate similar HP + minimal bodywork and metal v plastic. Which I don't.

I'm not talking about speed here; never broached the topic. Nor am I discussing metal v plastic. Again, it's a fine bike, and yes, maintenance is minimal. But from a worst case scenario (which you've got to consider for LD solo riding) the KLR would be a better choice, especially if you want to debate similar HP + minimal bodywork and metal v plastic. Which I don't.
I've plenty of LD solo miles but not on the reliable as stone and about as fun KLR. I enjoy LD riding but not wearing hair shirts and adding oil every morning. One member here likes LD better than I do - he's ridden and finished a couple of IBRs on his NC.

In a worst case scenario you just remove the panels. It's not rocket science.

But to each his own. The 36 hp KLR has been everywhere at one time or the other.

I stripped the tupperware off to install the wiring harness. I would say this is the one huge negative for this bike - it seems a ridiculously convoluted process. My ST1300 comes apart with absolute ease in comparison.

Attachments

• PXL_20210307_011504209.jpg
    PXL_20210307_011504209.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 20
I stripped the tupperware off to install the wiring harness. I would say this is the one huge negative for this bike - it seems a ridiculously convoluted process.
I agree.
I've had my left side panels off 4 times already, and each time one of the many bolts has fallen into the abyss.
With my Goldwing, the task was also onerous, but there was so much more room to work amidst the panels and frame.
I don't even bother wasting my time magnetic fishing or further disassembling to search for them on my NC.
I have a bunch of the typical hex bolts in a jar, and whatever I don't have is available at Home Depot a few blocks from my house.
The price of Honda hardware is not only outrageous, it's downright insulting.

Among the electrical, luggage, and suspension modifications to my NCs I never had to remove any panels beyond the center top panel to access the inside of the front cowls and the rear cowls ro access the luggage and saddlebag hardware. I secured and tidied everything up to OEM-type spec and didn't have any jury-rigged wiring runs or devices hanging out in the breeze. I wonder what you guys are doing to have to remove all the tupperware.

I think you already know the answer.
The NC was redesigned in 2016.
There are no more "insides" between panels to add stuff.
The only stuff in the inside of the outer panels or mine was a pair of horns and a relay. I saw where you mounted yours but that was not relevant to the point. That 1" square relay could have been mounted on the outside of the frunk or in the battery compartment unless of course that space is no longer available, and wires and cables are fishable with a little forethought. That was my point.

I think the panels came off my 2020 750 easier than my 2012 700. Maybe because I'm more familiar with the way Honda does it now...idk.
I got all my electronics I want with only taking off the left side.
Im amazed at how all the parts fit.

Had all the left side plastics off to fit a DIN supply to the frunk. I am a long time Honda fan, but the way the panels are held on is a ruddy joke. They could have used fewer types of fixings quite easily. Not impressed at all. Heaven knows what it will be like a few years down the road when the plastic has become more brittle.

I started this thread as I hadn’t had to strip the panels off a Honda. Since then I’ve had them off for one thing or another. On the last occasion I had to remove them all at once to respray to a different colour. I am now so used to it I can do it blindfold and not have any bolts or push clips left over. By the way it’s a 2016.

I thought I had gotten good at removing my panels and I now have a pair of rivet pins that don't have a home. I had a pair of bolts for a while but I finally found their place after a month or so of befuddlement

If I ever get too much money, I am going to have custom fairings fabricated so there are no more flimsy tabs and weird rivets

Back