• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Have you had your panels off?

Wedders

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have taken off the panels for any maintenance work, how many bolts and clips do you have left over?
I have only had the bike a couple of weeks and needed to take off the panels. As the hours slipped by there was plenty of swearing and confusion but off they came. But when I put them back there were gaps all over the place which I had to correct thinking no motorbike is going to beat me. Then in the end everything was in place but I had 2 bolts and 1 clip left over. I’m taking that as a good result.

20190130_151435.jpg

I think this might be NWS on account of the nudity. I'm willing to take the risk.

I broke a nut-well once and ended up losing the bolt a few weeks later, but they've been replaced. Never had an extra after dressing the ol' girl.

If you have taken off the panels for any maintenance work, how many bolts and clips do you have left over?
I have only had the bike a couple of weeks and needed to take off the panels. As the hours slipped by there was plenty of swearing and confusion but off they came. But when I put them back there were gaps all over the place which I had to correct thinking no motorbike is going to beat me. Then in the end everything was in place but I had 2 bolts and 1 clip left over. I’m taking that as a good result.
Not to brag, but I have had panels off a 2012 probably 3 dozen times. I have had them all off twice just to have all ten pieces painted, then all off again to swap the panels between 2 different NCs. I have all the hardware memorized and always put everything back in it’s place.

Nonetheless, it is daunting, and the first few times you should take a piece of cardboard and punch holes in it and put the screws in the cardboard in a layout that resembles the panel you are removing. Another method is to use plastic sandwich bags for the fasteners for each panel, and include written notes in the bag about exactly where the fasteners go.

Lastly, you should have the Honda service manual to reference for panel removal and reinstallation.

I am not familiar with 2016+ plastics, so I would be in the same boat as a newby, trying to get everything back in the right place.

I can see 2 panels in your photo not removed. Plenty of time to lose some.
What you see is the product of laziness :cool:

Work smarter, not harder!

Also, like 670cc and dduelin said, the manual is essential. I will admit I squinted and muttered to myself many times as I reviewed the pages. The cardboard trick is a great idea too. I tape bits to the panels when I'm not coming back for hours.

I also bought some extra clips and bolts in case I lose them. I still haven't found this one bolt that escaped one foul winter night.

I’ve got a manual but didn’t find it very helpful. I’m also a fan of work smarter but my smartness is failing as I get older. I have extra clips and bolts so I may have used some of them. It’s not laziness on my part I think it’s just age catching up with me.

I am not familiar with 2016+ plastics, so I would be in the same boat as a newby, trying to get everything back in the right place.
Did they change the plastics? I haven't been able to find a definitive list of changes from the 12-15 model and the 16/17 model.

I know they did change the windscreen mount.

Dunno what y'all are moaning about. Mines an X-Adv and the panels on it are a bloody nightmare and all interlocked. The bike is covered from stem to stern. Some folks are having difficulty even with the workshop manual. The side panels almost to the fronty even have to come off to change the front sprocket. No sympathy on here from me......:(

Did they change the plastics? I haven't been able to find a definitive list of changes from the 12-15 model and the 16/17 model.

Mine is a 2016 model so as nobody knows, I’ll go along with it’s more difficult than the rest.

The 2012-2015, and the 2016+ have the same frames, but the body plastics are quite different.

E36D52E8-2258-46D1-91F0-B8821FC91BF1.jpeg
8BB6BA6C-AA3E-425A-B1B2-8CCB8B31F32B.jpeg

Dunno what y'all are moaning about. Mines an X-Adv and the panels on it are a bloody nightmare and all interlocked. The bike is covered from stem to stern. Some folks are having difficulty even with the workshop manual. The side panels almost to the fronty even have to come off to change the front sprocket. No sympathy on here from me......:(
Waa Waa Waa.

Somewhere here is half of my R1200RT. The other half is safely segregated part by part and scattered about my garage.

Attachments

• IMG_2042.JPG
    IMG_2042.JPG
    592.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 48
When I had my 2009 BMW G650GS, an air filter change from start to finish was max of 15 minutes....but god, the valve checks took hours and had bucket/shims....and my c50 boulevard-air filter is a 5 minute job, but a valve check, have to remove that heavy metal gas tank-trying to hold the back of the tank high enough to reach under and disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump-ouch, and remove the radiator...

Back