• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Has your DCT ever done this?

Hondo53

Reaction score
Visit site
I jumped on the highway and punched up to 75mph and looked down and noticed that i was in 5th gear. So I flicked the + paddle to up it to 6th. No joy it was stuck in 5th gear. So i put it in manual and pushed + and still no shift, but it would down shift. It was like DCT thought 5th was top gear. This was a week ago and it has not done it again since. You ever see this??

Are you sure you were in D mode? Did the speed keep rising? Remember that DCT (PCM) responds to your desire to accelerate, so it maintains a lower gear. After slightly releasing the throttle and maintaining a constant speed, DCT should change gear to the appropriate speed.

Holding speed for a couple miles. It didnt change automatically nor manually. Glad to say it has not done it again. But I expect it will.

In 57000 miles, my 2015 has refused my suggestions to shift maybe two or three times. It will hold fifth for a long time getting on interstate ramp, never held it over 80 mph. Sometimes I let off a little, and it still takes a few seconds to decide to shift. That's what the up trigger is for.

My 2012 MC700x has twice in 10,000 miles taken itself out of gear and refused to go back in, which is a known failure pattern.

The first time, restarting the engine took care of it. The second time I had to "recalibrate" the DCT. Since the first time, I've kept a laminated card with the instructions in the trunk. I'll put the procedure here just in case it's useful to anyone. I have to admit I felt pretty clever having these instructions with me the one time I needed them.

Here is the DCT initialization procedure as originally posted by "smiller" back on July 16, 2016

The procedure is as follows:

1. Fully warm the engine to normal operating temperature.

2. Make sure that the stop/run switch is in the 'run' position and then turn on the ignition switch while holding down the 'D' shift switch on the right handlebar. Hold down the 'D' switch until the MIL (engine icon) goes off. You should see the outline of the the gear selector box on the LCD display but it should be empty (no D or S, no gear shown).

3. Operate the shift selector switch as follows (one push for each): D-D-N-D-N . After this is done 'D' and 'S' should show in the gear indicator box, along with a '-' sign in the center flashing at approx. 2 second intervals. (If you see an 'L' in the display the engine is not warm enough, if so then shut off the ignition, start the bike and bring it up to normal operating temperature, shut it off, and start again at Step 2.)

4. Start the engine and let it idle. Do not touch the throttle. The calibration is complete when the D and S indicators disappear. Shut off the engine and the calibration process is complete. (If the '-' starts blinking rapidly at 1/2 second intervals then the calibration process failed, shut of the ignition and repeat from Step 2.)

I wouldn't advise messing with the calibration just for the hell of it, but if you are experiencing a minor running problem such as the one I described above it may help.

Back