• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Has anyone installed a Rear Ohlins (HO 070) shock absorber

cyman73

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

New NC700X owner here. The previous owner included a new in box Ohlins (HO 070) shock absorber.

Has anyone installed this Ohlins shock absorber? If I install this will I also have to upgrade the front shocks?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have installed an Ohlins rear shock/spring on my NC700X. You can install the rear shock and modify your front forks, or you can leave the front alone. Fork modifications are not as expensive as premium rear shocks, so upgrading the front is probably a good idea.

I have installed an Ohlins rear shock/spring on my NC700X. You can install the rear shock and modify your front forks, or you can leave the front alone. Fork modifications are not as expensive as premium rear shocks, so upgrading the front is probably a good idea.
How do you like it? Do you think it's good for touring and the occasional pillion tour? I found the stock suspension to be passable but complained about the wallowing. I ended up blowing my dampening after only 46k miles.

I've been thinking about making my own thread about it but I'm not sure how to start asking questions. I see other guys got suspenders with a different spring on the Ohlins body. How neccesary is that route?

How do you like it? Do you think it's good for touring and the occasional pillion tour? I found the stock suspension to be passable but complained about the wallowing. I ended up blowing my dampening after only 46k miles.

I've been thinking about making my own thread about it but I'm not sure how to start asking questions. I see other guys got suspenders with a different spring on the Ohlins body. How neccesary is that route?

My original rear shock blew the seal at 29,000 miles.

The spring on my Ohlins is maybe a little stiff for my solo weight but not too bad. (It was originally purchased by someone a little heavier). However, that's good because the rear end doesn't sink much now when I load up with camping gear. I don't have a pillion seat so can't comment on two up riding. I'd say the ride is very composed, and the wheel stays on the ground better on washboards and rough roads. It is not touring bike plush. The roads in my state are in sad disrepair, so I still deal with a few jolts, but I don’t get bucked off the seat as badly as with the stock shock. In states with good road maintenance budgets, it handles and rides great.

The NC suspension needs all the help it can get. The Ohlins is surely an improvement over stock, but I can't say it transforms the bike into an entirely different machine. It really depends on what kinds of roads you ride. (On local my neighborhood rides, I prefer a dual sport with 11 inches of suspension travel for a comfortable ride).

Last edited:
I bought and installed a Cogent Dynamic rear shock that was supposedly a rebranded Ohlins STX 46 shock. The STX 46 with a spring for my weight was awesome on my NC700X. You will want to upgrade the forks after upgrading the shock but like 670cc said it's less expensive to redo the fork.

I plan to only ride on paved roads with ~50% highway. My impression of the stock suspension is that it's stiffer than my ST1300, but as long as I don't hit any bumps in the road it's fine.

I also have to decipher the numbers on the Ohlins spring 01095-54/140 L2218

Thank you.

I plan to only ride on paved roads with ~50% highway. My impression of the stock suspension is that it's stiffer than my ST1300, but as long as I don't hit any bumps in the road it's fine.

I also have to decipher the numbers on the Ohlins spring 01095-54/140 L2218

Thank you.
If you poke around online you can find explanations for the code. It is basically length and spring rate. I think the diameters are all the same. The 1095 represents the free length as a coded number, and -54/140 means it has a 140 Nm spring rate.

Last edited:
I replaced the shock on my former NC700 X, not with an Ohlins but with a close equivalent, Wilbers. It was immediately clear that the front forks were a poor match for such a good unit on the rear and tbh the front was somewhat spoiling the good affects of the Wilbers. There are plenty of posts on here about emulators for the fork.

I installed the Ohlins HO 070 on my NC700X, and had RaceTech springs and the Gold Valve Treatment installed in my front forks, and rode 20,000+ miles on this setup. For me it was a huge improvement.

I recently purchased a 2018 NC750X, and it's at the shop now to have installed the Hyperpro Type 461 rear shock and springs/Gold Valve treatment for the front forks. It's still at the shop, and we got about 20" of snow yesterday, so it will be a while before I can test ride it.

I bought and installed a Cogent Dynamic rear shock that was supposedly a rebranded Ohlins STX 46 shock. The STX 46 with a spring for my weight was awesome on my NC700X. You will want to upgrade the forks after upgrading the shock but like 670cc said it's less expensive to redo the fork.
I was recalling your post from years ago where you mentioned changing one element of the suspension would leave you begging for a change to the other. I think it was when you installed the emulators.

I’ve just modified the HO070 to add the external preload, it’s uncomfortable to adjust the ring anytime I travel with passenger, anyway I’ve replaced front (andreani kit) and rear shock at the same time (51’000 km), adjusting the sag too. Now after other 30’000 km I can confirm it’s the best choice, definitively.

Attachments

• BC6A1112-E4DD-4BC4-8D40-8D28652E21CC.jpeg
    BC6A1112-E4DD-4BC4-8D40-8D28652E21CC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • ADBE8FD5-FF4F-4DA8-998F-94F704AAF358.jpeg
    ADBE8FD5-FF4F-4DA8-998F-94F704AAF358.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
  • DA9F152A-DDC0-414E-81D3-BC9351142ACE.jpeg
    DA9F152A-DDC0-414E-81D3-BC9351142ACE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
  • F5A28779-0DE9-4E8B-B344-81FA34682916.jpeg
    F5A28779-0DE9-4E8B-B344-81FA34682916.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 51B60D7E-C358-424D-BCDB-ACF2C106793C.jpeg
    51B60D7E-C358-424D-BCDB-ACF2C106793C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
I’ve just modified the HO070 to add the external preload, it’s uncomfortable to adjust the ring anytime I travel with passenger, anyway I’ve replaced front (andreani kit) and rear shock at the same time (51’000 km), adjusting the sag too. Now after other 30’000 km I can confirm it’s the best choice, definitively.
Would you mind posting a link to the kit and shock, please? (Or pointing in the right direction)

Thanks and happy riding!

Would you mind posting a link to the kit and shock, please? (Or pointing in the right direction)

Thanks and happy riding!
I got my shock upgrade from Cogent Dynamics on recommendation of several members here. It was priced slightly below an Ohlins shock and is easier to adjust the preload. It's fantastic. The NC should have come with it stock!

I had to email them to ask about the NC shock, which they do sell still but seem to have removed it from the listings. The customer service was excellent. The two year warranty rolls over for another two years if you send it in to them to get serviced.

I got my shock upgrade from Cogent Dynamics on recommendation of several members here. It was priced slightly below an Ohlins shock and is easier to adjust the preload. It's fantastic. The NC should have come with it stock!

I had to email them to ask about the NC shock, which they do sell still but seem to have removed it from the listings. The customer service was excellent. The two year warranty rolls over for another two years if you send it in to them to get serviced.
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the Cogent shock? I am thinking that is going to be my next major upgrade since I dang near need a kidney belt to ride around here since the suspension on the 750 is about on par with my 2500 and the road crews like to install road patches that are a good 3 inches higher than the rest of the road.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the Cogent shock? I am thinking that is going to be my next major upgrade since I dang near need a kidney belt to ride around here since the suspension on the 750 is about on par with my 2500 and the road crews like to install road patches that are a good 3 inches higher than the rest of the road.
Lol

I believe I paid around $680 for it. I should have upgraded years ago

On my 2015 DCT, my Ohlins rear, sprung for my weight, was a very noticeable improvement, which, as mentioned above, immediately highlighted the poor forks. I just put in RaceTech springs and better oil, opting not to go all the way to emulators. It too was a very noticeable improvement. The NC700, however, is still an NC700 and a new suspension isn't going to make it an R1250RT.

On my 2015 DCT, my Ohlins rear, sprung for my weight, was a very noticeable improvement, which, as mentioned above, immediately highlighted the poor forks. I just put in RaceTech springs and better oil, opting not to go all the way to emulators. It too was a very noticeable improvement. The NC700, however, is still an NC700 and a new suspension isn't going to make it an R1250RT.
If it's more comfortable and enjoyable, who cares if it's not an expensive and heavy bike? My suspension upgrades have been worth more than I paid for

Back