• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Handlebar Vibration

Steady

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently suffered severe vibration through the handlebars when braking from low spead (approx 30mph) this happened on two occasions within a very short space of time - approx 1 minute - the next time that I braked I noticed that the handlebars were loose. I tightened the handlebars and reported what had happened to my dealer who road tested the bike and confirmed that he had been able to replicate the vibration. The incident has been reported to Honda who have stated that the vibration was caused by the brakes being used incorrectly!! I am now loathe to ride the bike as I consider it to be unsafe. Has anyone else come across this problem and did yoiu receive any help from Honda?

If he replicated the vibration, did he also experience the handlebars loosening? I am not sure what kind of vibration is required to back off 4 bolts like that. I have certainly never experienced anything of the nature - the loose handlebars not the vibration - its a bike, it vibrates so I can't say I have never experienced a vibration while braking - how yours differs, I don't know.

how exactly would one go about braking "incorrectly?"

Throwing out a boat anchor to stop... :p

anchor-boat-dock-harbour-landscape-ship.png

Balance on front tire, is most likely the problem. Put on a new front tire, have the front tire rebalanced, or put Ride On in front tire. If that does not work, check your bearings and the rotor. Have seen a few folks have this probem if rotor is out of round or warped.

I have seen that happen when the brake pads and rotors were contaminated or the initial break-in was done incorrectly. Clean the rotor with brake cleaner. Sand the pads with a piece of sandpaper on a glass plate and then clean them. Reassemble and do the break-in of the pads all over again.

I don't think we're getting the complete story. A vibration and the handle bars lose are two different problems. A vibration isn't going good to cause the bars to come lose. If it occurs at under 30mph and only when braking it's a contaminated rotor or pads. If you feel pulsation coming through the brake lever the disc is warped. Unlikely a tire inbalance. I would clean the disc up with brake cleaner and try a new set of pads. If better but not gone replace the disc.

How long have you had the bike? If its still under warranty tell them to fix it, period !!!
If they are not extremely interested in helping you to rectify the situation a call directly to Honda my be in order.

I like comments #8 and #9.

A week after I bought my bike the storage system literally almost fell off. The dealer had not tightened it down properly. I would not be surprised if that is the case with you handle bars.

When engineers determine the amount of torque required for a specific fastener they take things like vibration into consideration. Two occasions of some excessive vibration wouldn't be enough to loosen those four bolts. My opinion. I work at Caterpillar Motor Grader facility in Arkansas. These machines do nothing but vibrate and we don't have loose fasteners. A motorcycle vibrates just as bad and I guarantee that is taken into account when determining torque.

It sounds like it is occurring when you brake which is why I like both Beemerphile's and RuggyBuggy's ideas. I probably would have already replaced the pads at this point. I like the idea of sanding thenm.

Good luck. Hope you figures this out soon. I know I'd be a bit apprehensive too.

Back