• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Handguards that don't require the removal of the OEM vibration dampening bar weights that Hondas use?

16DCT

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I have a 2016 NC700X DCT and I was looking for some handguards but I see that most of them are the kind where it goes inside of the handlebar but since Honda's use those bar weights to reduce vibration, I am looking for alternatives. Thanks!

Hello, I have a 2016 NC700X DCT and I was looking for some handguards but I see that most of them are the kind where it goes inside of the handlebar but since Honda's use those bar weights to reduce vibration, I am looking for alternatives. Thanks!
I installed handguards from Cycle Gear and installed them keeping both the internal and external Honda handlebar weights still in place. I think the weights are very desirable and I would not remove them. There are handguards out there that let you keep the stock weights, so keep looking.

I installed handguards from Cycle Gear and installed them keeping both the internal and external Honda handlebar weights still in place. I think the weights are very desirable and I would not remove them. There are handguards out there that let you keep the stock weights, so keep looking.

I removed the OEM external and internal weights when I installed Barkbusters and a Kako throttle lock, which come with their own external weights. But I liked the design of the internal weights, with the "O" ring damping, so I just stuck them back into the handle bars and wedged them into place before proceeding with the rest of the farkle. They'll only go in so far, maybe an an inch or two further in than stock. A short bit of line attached will (hopefully) allow me to pull them back out if I need to in the future.

I suppose that in theory this should make the steering response a bit slower but I haven't noticed any real difference. Almost vibration-free grips are nice to have.

I installed Cycra Pro Bend guards on the 2012 and Barkbuster Storms on the 2015 without removing the OEM bar weights. I used the longer screw that came with the guards in one case and the OEM screws with the other ones. I just can't remember which ones.

I installed cheapo eBay handguards (similar to link below, but not from that seller), and they did not require removal of the bar end weights (you have to replace the bolt with a longer one to attach them on the outside).

They work totally fine, although they vibrated around a lot so I 3D printed an extra spacer washer to keep them more snugly in place.

See here for pics: https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/my-first-3d-printed-motorcycle-part.18050/

Rabbit, I also noticed T-Rex makes rear racks, frame sliders, crash bars, skid plates etc for the nc700x. I book marked their page......thanks again.

Rabbit, I also noticed T-Rex makes rear racks, frame sliders, crash bars, skid plates etc for the nc700x. I book marked their page......thanks again.
I have received my T-rex order for skid plate, crash bars, center stand, luggage rack, and radiator guard. Just waiting for time and warm weather to install. Everything seems quite sturdy. The radiator guard is a thin metal, a bit flexible, but its my first raduator guard so I have nothing to compare it to.

I will add they are fantastic to deal with. Very responsive.

I have received my T-rex order for skid plate, crash bars, center stand, luggage rack, and radiator guard. Just waiting for time and warm weather to install. Everything seems quite sturdy. The radiator guard is a thin metal, a bit flexible, but its my first raduator guard so I have nothing to compare it to.

I have a R&G racing radiator guard and found it to be quite sturdy but the installation is somewhat lacking. It uses a zip tie for the bottom connection point

Luggage rack: Pretty durable eh?. I presume one has to also order a top box mounting plate?. I know their offering 2 sizes of GIVI boxes. Is there enough tie down points if a rider just wanted to use a soft bag?. Installation pretty straight forward?. Grab rails stay intact upon install. Is so on all, this rack very well could be a great alternative to other racks.

I actually had T-Rex racing parts on the Honda I had before the NC, a 919 from 2002. Good folk and good stuff, IME. I like the front slider setup with a solid bar through the frame.

Luggage rack: Pretty durable eh?. I presume one has to also order a top box mounting plate?. I know their offering 2 sizes of GIVI boxes. Is there enough tie down points if a rider just wanted to use a soft bag?. Installation pretty straight forward?. Grab rails stay intact upon install. Is so on all, this rack very well could be a great alternative to other racks.
Won't know until Saturday. Working over 80 hours this week.

The Givi Monolock Series comes with a mounting bracket. I got the E450. My wife unpacked it for me and verified there is a bracket, and it is quite spacious.

Last edited:
Back