• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hand Guards

skiphunt

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking for some cheap hand guards just to keep the wind off my hands on the highway and thought I found them at CycleGear. They have some Trackside Brush guards on sale for $20 with universal mounts, but they don't fit the NCX. The brake reservoir is in the way. Anyone know of some cheapies that fit? I'm not looking for bark-bustin' protection, just something to deflect the wind off my hands when it gets chilly and the hot air away when it's the boiling summer here in Texas.

Milk jugs on a KLR.....................fits perfect................NC deserves body colored jugs.:):)

OP was looking cheap you delivered..................only cost a little more to go first class...........:eek:

Cover the jugs with duct tape. Close to body cover.
That got me to thinking. I've got coat hangers and Roll Tide duct tape. Bet I could make hand guards.

I'll sort it out. Thanks for the ideas. I'll just take it to Cycle Gear and try different ones until I find some that'll fit. Just figured I'd ask here in case someone already knew.

I put barkbusters on mine. So far so good. They are not connected to the end of the handlebars and are for wind protection. The universal mounts worked well, just had to drill new holes so they didn't hit the windscreen when turning.

I also had used a set from national cycle that were clear and attached to the side mirror mounts on my '99 Vulcan. They fit the NC700x. I don't remember them being expensive.

I'll sort it out. Thanks for the ideas. I'll just take it to Cycle Gear and try different ones until I find some that'll fit. Just figured I'd ask here in case someone already knew.

If you find some let me know.looking for the same with no luck.

Hey Skip -- You might check Honda and see what the handguards for the CB500X cost...

CB500X_2013_KnuckleGaurds.jpg

Accessories Gallery

Don't look particularly robust, but I'd bet they are a simple bolt on. I think most of the universal guards are going to require some fiddling with. I had to make up some spacers for mine to clear the m/c and clutch adjustment wheel...

trey

Hey Skip -- You might check Honda and see what the handguards for the CB500X cost...

Accessories Gallery

Don't look particularly robust, but I'd bet they are a simple bolt on. I think most of the universal guards are going to require some fiddling with. I had to make up some spacers for mine to clear the m/c and clutch adjustment wheel...

trey

Not available in the US yet...........OP specifically mentioned cheap........if and when they are available they will not be cheap:eek:

Accessories Gallery

trey

Those look cool, but there are the next model of Trackside guards that are also on sale for $45 a set. I think I saw a photo on this site with them on an ncx. The cheapo trackside $20 ones would have been fine, but the bracket needs to mount near the handle grips and the brake reservoir is in the way.

Will likely just go grab the $45 ones from Cycle Gear. The reviews say they aren't worth their normal price of $90, but on sale they're recommended. They also look adjustable enough to fit on the ncx.

It might be as easy as being creative with the mounting fittings that come with any chosen pair regardless of how much they cost. When I first began installing mine the supplied bolts were too short and the guards would not clear the clutch cable adjuster or the brake reservoir. With longer spacers on longer bolts with some angled washers cut from rubber hose I was able to build in enough clearance for them to work but at first I couldn't see how. Another member here had the same or similar ones on his bike and I happened to see a pic in the forum and with some direction from him I was able to work it out..

These look interesting for the sub $70 shipped price. Its a UK site but they ship to the US and have listings on ebay as well. The Ebay listing claims they fit the NCXs.

they're more about looks than being useful in keeping the wind off.

Are you talking about the eBay ones? If so, I agree. They look cool but they look like they're more for blocking brush than wind. The Trackside ones look like they'll block some wind and I have noticed that hand guards to help a lot when it's cold and rainy. At least my Suzuki wee-stroms did. I still have them on the strom I'm selling, but it looked like I'd have to mod them too much to use on the NCX so I decided to look for a budget new option.

The Cycle Gear ones that were one step up from the $20 sale brush guards that wouldn't fit... were also on sale for $45 yesterday. Today they went off sale and back up to $90, but since I was just there yesterday buying the cheaper ones that wouldn't fit, they went ahead and sold them to me at yesterday's sale price. Will install them tonight and post back if they fit ok or not.

Like I mentioned, these aren't on sale for $45 any more, but I think they go on sale for that at Cycle Gear frequently.

Anyway... they fit fine. Took a little wrangling, but not too bad. Had them both on inside of 30mins. Here's some snaps.

Also... picked up a bicycle handlebar bag at Target to keep the garage door opener in without having to open the front compartment. It also has a touch sensitive pouch for my phone. $12 :)

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

I was looking for some cheap hand guards just to keep the wind off my hands on the highway and thought I found them at CycleGear. They have some Trackside Brush guards on sale for $20 with universal mounts, but they don't fit the NCX. The brake reservoir is in the way. Anyone know of some cheapies that fit? I'm not looking for bark-bustin' protection, just something to deflect the wind off my hands when it gets chilly and the hot air away when it's the boiling summer here in Texas.

Thought I'd give this a bump. I picked up the guards you reference here, and they fit with no problem. While it LOOKS like it won't fit, it does. Not sure which side up is correct, but I installed them the way I did to direct air over my hands (larger side up).

They provide just enough of a wind break to keep the chill off, tested them this morning on the way to work.

Anyway, for $20 you can't beat them. They can be rotated to clear the bottom of the brake lever and the clutch adjuster as well.

IMGP3499.jpg

Clutch Side:
IMGP3500.jpg

IMGP3500.jpg

Brake Side:
IMGP3502.jpg

IMGP3501.jpg

Sorry guys, but I am not a very good mechanic. When installing the handguards and you remove the bar ends, is it as simple to remove the bar ends as just unscrewing them? I mean, is there anything inside the bars which I have to worry about which may come undone/loose, then I would have to go fishing for it? You can PM me the answer if you wish. Thanks.

Back