• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

GPS Tracking Devices

there are many pretty good GPS apps that use the phone's GPS receiver ... but keep in mind these cannot communicate with others unless you have cell or wifi available. So for tracking/sharing position, there are lot's of options that work on your smartphone. For communicating without cell/wifi, you need a satellite-based system (Spot, DeLorme, inReach, etc.).

Sorry for the repetition, but this can get confusing comparing "just" GPS versus "search & rescue" and you need to think through what you are looking for before you get out there. That REI article that Ste7ios posted is a good start. FWIW, I've never had an issue with the Spot "seeing" through tree cover when riding in the mountains (or seeing through my jacket pocket -- both mesh and my Kilimanjaro) and I'm sure the DeLorme and inReach are probably similar. Battery life was over 12 months on my Spot using it most weekends and on at least a couple 5 days trips per year.

Lastly, check your health insurance policy for air ambulance coverage. Many/most of the major carriers (Blue Cross, UHC, etc) will cover air ambulance if "medically necessary." In the alternative, you can sign up for GEOS for around $20/yr for SAR, including helo lift (https://www.geosalliance.com). In CONUS, it may be redundant with your health insurance coverage and the rules are a little complicated about who pays depending on how each service (health insurance vs GEOS) was contacted.

A competitor of SPOT is inReach. In doing my research, I recall the advantages of inReach over SPOT was that inReach can do two way texting with the emergency operator via satellite, and the satellite constellation used by inReach has broader worldwide coverage. Based on those perceived advantages, I went with the inReach service. One of the service pricing options allows you to turn the service on and off on a monthly basis.

The inReach radio is reasonably pocket sized, about the size of an FRS radio, e.g. a Motorola Talkabout

+1 on the inReach GPS tracker. It used the Iridium constellation and can connect with your Bluetooth enable smartphone to send two-way text messages. It also has the SOS feature, but it can communicate with the text feature to the SOS Operations Center, as well as friends and family. Iridium covers most of the globe.

I use, and would recommend, SWConnect (for both Android and iPhone). It connects directly to SpotWalla's so you can give the link (with a password if you wish) to your loved ones and they can follow. It will store "pings" that couldn't be sent due to lack of cell signal, and as soon as you come back in it'll back-fill those. That would at least let someone have an "idea" of where you were should something bad happen.

Best of all, it's free, it uses your phone which you already have, and it runs in the background.

I used to have a SPOT, and found it unreliable. I would go with the Garmin InReach, but it's expensive and has a service contract -- so for me and my long rides, SWConnect.

I use, and would recommend, SWConnect (for both Android and iPhone). It connects directly to SpotWalla's so you can give the link (with a password if you wish) to your loved ones and they can follow. It will store "pings" that couldn't be sent due to lack of cell signal, and as soon as you come back in it'll back-fill those. That would at least let someone have an "idea" of where you were should something bad happen.

Best of all, it's free, it uses your phone which you already have, and it runs in the background.

I used to have a SPOT, and found it unreliable. I would go with the Garmin InReach, but it's expensive and has a service contract -- so for me and my long rides, SWConnect.

I believe SWConnect is iOS only, Bubbler GPS (Lite=free, Pro=$9.99) are Android alternatives and work with SpotWalla.

Good luck with Waze. Primarily a city based data set, I've had very poor results finding even small cities in the midwest and its own location here in Colorado. By far the worst locator compared to Garmin GPS (second worst...awful), MapQuest, and Apple Maps. Google was best iphone app I've found so far. Garmin data base cannot find Moab, UT, among a jillion others, and shows itself to be very primitive to program changes in routes compared to the fast responsiveness of the others with iOS.
I also use an XGPS 160 Device which receives precise GPS location at all times using both GPS and Glonass sat systems. It connects to up to four devices via bluetooth. The this works great with travel maps such as those above, but if you have a map, you probably have service. Pre-loaded maps such as USGS and MotionX work well for off road, but not for highway travel.

I recently started using SWConnect and its great in the states. Most paved roads have cell service and SWConnect buffering works. It reports every 5 minutes unlike SPOT basic service which is every 10 minutes I think. No SOS button, but if your in semi populated areas not really needed. I also use Locus on an old android for navigation. The big old Garmin sits in the junk drawer and the SPOT goes with me to the desert, Mexico, Canada, etc. Since you will be on Freeways I see no problem with SWConnect of Bubbler. Save your money for gas and tires. Less things to carry! Connect it thru Spotwalla and your set. If you do go with a SPOT I would still link that to Spotwalla as SPOT dumps the data after 30 days(?). I have trips going back 5 years on Spotwalla.

Last edited:
A competitor of SPOT is inReach. In doing my research, I recall the advantages of inReach over SPOT was that inReach can do two way texting with the emergency operator via satellite, and the satellite constellation used by inReach has broader worldwide coverage. Based on those perceived advantages, I went with the inReach service. One of the service pricing options allows you to turn the service on and off on a monthly basis.

The inReach radio is reasonably pocket sized, about the size of an FRS radio, e.g. a Motorola Talkabout
I use the Spot3 which is reasonable water resistant.
Is the Inreach similar? H2O resistant but not waterproof?
Any issues in pouring rain?

I use the Spot3 which is reasonable water resistant.
Is the Inreach similar? H2O resistant but not waterproof?
Any issues in pouring rain?

According to the specs, the DeLorme InReach SE+ is rated at IPX7. I believe that means it can withstand water immersion up to 1 meter deep for up to 30 minutes. Mine is an SE, which uses the same case as the SE+. I have not personally tested it in the rain.

Last edited:
SPOT3 Service Review

My cross country ride is slowly approaching and I'm basically geared and ready to go. My last item of purchase is now a GPS Tracker. I've done my research and understand what they offer and what the prices are, but wanted to get some real understanding of it's use by experienced tour riders.
Is it really necessary to have it if I'm sticking to the freeways and never going off road. ...

It's not a necessity, but having one gives you peace of mind. Cross country ride is an adventure full of surprises and unexpected bike failures from a simple flat to total breakdown or worse.
It's smart to prepare as best as you can prior to the trip, IMO. Not having to worry about 'What if..." is worth the upfront cost.
Both popular trackers have merits and costs are not that far apart. I'd say choice is individual preference on which feature is more important to you.

Since I'm riding through middle America and back, are there enough dead spots where I won't have cellular reception? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Depending on your route selection there are definitely many areas where cell reception is spotty or non-existent. Chances of Murphy's law striking in those areas, is overwhelming, I'd say.

I rode across the US from Telico Plains, TN to Seattle, WA and back and had my Spot3. In prepping my trip, I added their 'SOV' service (it's less than $5 per month with a year commitment):
SPOT has partnered with Nation Safe Drivers (NSD) to provide a vehicle assistance program like no other. NSD is one of the largest suppliers of towing and roadside assistance, offering service on even the most obscure and hard to travel roads imaginable. It doesn't matter if the roads are paved , dirt or gravel, NSD partners will be there to save your vehicle.

This is my experience with the SPOT3 service:
I was mostly on the TAT (TransAmericaTrail) and knew this service would come in handy; it sure has.
The first time I used it was just after crossing into CO headed to Trinidad Lake CG for the day- had a rear flat on HWY160 north of Branson, CO-
It was late afternoon, about a week into my trip and was too tired to unload the bike and start roadside repairs of replacing the rear tube
(had cell signal but needed to run a test).
So I pressed the SOV button. Tow truck showed up in about 2 hrs. So I knew it was working, albeit slower than I wanted.
Lucky for me the campsite was 47.5 miles away and the included free tow mileage was 50 :) so it was free.
img_20170823_194215648_36828873245_o.jpg

The second time I used the SOV service was text book:
img_20170901_103914607_hdr_36982693095_o.jpg
Truly unanticipated, no cell service to speak of and totally exhausted to pick up the bike.
I know this does not apply to the OP concerns of a road trip but even on the tarmac,
you may run into similar circumstances. The only difference being out where I was (30 miles south of Green River, UT)
no ordinary tow service will be able to come out- they just don't have the proper equipment.
So I press the SOV button and out here, it takes almost 3 hrs for the cavalry, but they came.
I'd hate to think what I would have had to endure if I was without my SPOT- camp out in no man's land,
with less than half a gallon of water...hoping I'd be able to ride another 60 miles of unknown desert sand or backtrack to where I came from.
None are good choices and would have resulted in my trip ending.
I would have paid dearly to get out of there, but no amount of money would have helped.

Just get either of the two trackers and pay the service fee. It's worth every penny.
You won't regret it.
I am glad did not leave home without it.
:D

Back