• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Got to be honest with you guys

red line is a faint line starting at 7000 rpms. No it won't show Trip A or Trip B or Odo at the same time, you have to hit mode and then select up or select down to get to the various mileage cues

we also have 6 fuel blocks, not sure how many previous models have. I thought I remembered reading someone complaining about the number of blocks

PTEEpQlh.jpg
It is so stupid that odo and trip can't both be shown, as on my Goldwing, and the wife's Reflex.

I see the redline color now.

The 2012-2015 NC700X models showed only 5 fuel bars. My CRF250L shows 7. In my opinion, 8 or 9 would be much better.

It is so stupid that odo and trip can't both be shown, as on my Goldwing, and the wife's Reflex.

The 2012-2015 NC700X models showed only 5 fuel bars. My CRF250L shows 7. In my opinion, 8 or 9 would be much better.
The 16/17 model also shows five bars. Technically it's six since the single bar will flash to indicate the last 0.7 gallons

My DRZ shows zero. I guess I'll take the five

I'd prefer the odo to show on the left instead of battery voltage (or the 1/2 doz other things you can toggle in that mode)

another great ride this morning. Best one yet. I'm really getting the hang on this - button for curves lol

Last edited:
On this evenings (93 degree) ride went on red flashing block on the gas gauge at 201 miles. Tomorrow I will go another 20 or so and fill up and see how much it takes, and compute the mpg on this tank.

Not sure what the 0.0 gal on the left side means, that was where the battery voltage was before it went on reserve. Time to get out the owners manual and read some more lol.

n15e3xWh.jpg

On this evenings (93 degree) ride went on red flashing block on the gas gauge at 201 miles. Tomorrow I will go another 20 or so and fill up and see how much it takes, and compute the mpg on this tank.

Not sure what the 0.0 gal on the left side means, that was where the battery voltage was before it went on reserve. Time to get out the owners manual and read some more lol.

n15e3xWh.jpg
I think in some twisted thinking, Honda decided to count up in gallons used from the time you went on ”reserve”. You might see this number go from 0.0 to 0.1 to 0.2 and so on until the tank runs out of fuel. I guess if Honda instead had decided to count down to 0 gallons remaining, and it was wrong, you could blame Honda for you running out of gas. But since it counts up to whatever gallon amount from the time of going on reserve, Honda is not accountable if you run out of gas.

This is really a stupid design, in my opinion, and I am so glad my 2012 does not work this way.

Reactions: MZ5
I think in some twisted thinking, Honda decided to count up in gallons used from the time you went on ”reserve”. You might see this number go from 0.0 to 0.1 to 0.2 and so on until the tank runs out of fuel. I guess if Honda instead had decided to count down to 0 gallons remaining, and it was wrong, you could blame Honda for you running out of gas. But since it counts up to whatever gallon amount from the time of going on reserve, Honda is not accountable if you run out of gas.

This is really a stupid design, in my opinion, and I am so glad my 2012 does not work this way.
I'll find out tomorrow, although they are talking pretty bad rain for the next two days starting 10pm tonight. Severe thunder storm warning out for tonight.

Last edited:
ok here's how it works...the reserve count thing counts UP in 10ths of a gallon used. On mine every 7 miles it went up 1/10th. I went on red flashing reserve at 201, at 208 it went to 1/10th at 215 it went to 2/10's and at 222 it went to 3/10ths.

you can see in this pic I went 225 miles on this tank, 24 since hitting reserve and it showed .03 on the reserve thing on the left.

sxXxerlh.jpg

I filled up and it took 3.04 gals to refill up to plate in gas tank

wP4dhynh.jpg

FIIUSj7h.jpg

for an average of 74 mpg (same as I got on the first full tank)

Once I filled up the reserve count up went away and it went back to displaying battery charge.

It does count to empty, just inverted. It comes on when you have 0.7 gallons remaining, so it's still essentially counting down to zero.

I find it fairly handy when I'm debating where to get gas and how far I can make it. If I get seven or more miles per tenth of a gallon I'm riding efficiently and can make it ~35 miles before I really have to worry.

It does count to empty, just inverted. It comes on when you have 0.7 gallons remaining, so it's still essentially counting down to zero.

I find it fairly handy when I'm debating where to get gas and how far I can make it. If I get seven or more miles per tenth of a gallon I'm riding efficiently and can make it ~35 miles before I really have to worry.
Whatever works for you. It would be like when your bank account gets drawn down to a certain arbitrary balance threshold, the bank would no longer tell you the account balance, rather they will only tell you how much you have withdrawn since reaching the ”reserve” point, a point you might not be 100% certain of. I would sure rather know what I actually have left, not what I’ve used since passing some threshold.

The ‘21 display has one advantage in that the reserve count up doesn’t automatically hide the trip odometer, as I think it may have done on earlier models.

it also flashes the word "RESERVE" to the left of the 0.3

It's not going to make a lot of difference to me one way or the other whether it counts miles up or down, or 10ths up or down, just so I know how it works.. I will fill up when I get down to 2 blocks or 1 if feeling lazy. In theory it should be able to go close to 50 miles once it hits reserve if you are not thrashing it or running 70 mph plus on the freeway.

A digital ambient temp gauge in the upper rh corner would have been nice lol.

Whatever works for you. It would be like when your bank account gets drawn down to a certain arbitrary balance threshold, the bank would no longer tell you the account balance, rather they will only tell you how much you have withdrawn since reaching the ”reserve” point, a point you might not be 100% certain of. I would sure rather know what I actually have left, not what I’ve used since passing some threshold.

The ‘21 display has one advantage in that the reserve count up doesn’t automatically hide the trip odometer, as I think it may have done on earlier models.
I find that the bike isn't that great at estimating usage or remaining fuel. A couple days ago I ran about 25 miles on 'reserve', and the bike said I used 3/10ths of a gallon. I only filled three gallons at the pump.

The MPG display also is always under what Fuelio reports my average to be by 3-4mpg. Maybe it's a feature, not a bug...

A digital ambient temp gauge in the upper rh corner would have been nice lol.
Important to me on the display:
Speedometer
Tachometer
Fuel level (with fine detail)
Odometer
Trip meter displayed in addition to odometer
Time of day

Really nice to have: Ambient temperature

Don't care: Gear selected

Looks like Honda got all but two on there for 2021.

Here's what I will install.
It has a clock that requires mounting to unswitched power if you want to retain the time when the ignition is turned off.
I didn't bother for 2 reasons.
My bike already has an accurate clock that doesn't drain the battery when the engine is shut off.
This one will, of course.
How many mAH will it draw? Anyone's guess.
So when I turn on the bike, I press the big button once to show battery voltage, and another press brings up ambient temp.
Nice bright large red LED readout.
Mine will be mounted by velcro right on top of that removable black plug above the triple tree.
Haven't installed it yet, as too lazy right now to pull the left front side cover to connect it to my fuse block.
I did check its operation on a bench power supply, and it works well.

I find that the bike isn't that great at estimating usage or remaining fuel. A couple days ago I ran about 25 miles on 'reserve', and the bike said I used 3/10ths of a gallon. I only filled three gallons at the pump.

The MPG display also is always under what Fuelio reports my average to be by 3-4mpg. Maybe it's a feature, not a bug...
That's almost exactly what mine said 225 mi, 3.04 gals to refill and .3 used on reserve (which should 'in theory" leave .4 still in the tank more or less. At 74 mpg that .4 should be good for another 29 miles on top of the 225 or 254 miles.

then again 3.7 gals at 74 mpg should net 273 miles but I'm not stretching it that far lol. I'll refill between 180 and 200 miles or when I get down to 1 or 2 bars. I'm too old to be pushing a motorcycle very far.

Yea I compute my mileage by dividing miles driven by gallons used on my phones calculator. I never even look at the mpg trip A, mpg trip B, current mpg (is that on there? lol) etc

That's almost exactly what mine said 225 mi, 3.04 gals to refill and .3 used on reserve (which should 'in theory" leave .4 still in the tank more or less. At 74 mpg that .4 should be good for another 29 miles on top of the 225 or 254 miles.

then again 3.7 gals at 74 mpg should net 273 miles but I'm not stretching it that far lol. I'll refill between 180 and 200 miles or when I get down to 1 or 2 bars. I'm too old to be pushing a motorcycle very far.

Yea I compute my mileage by dividing miles driven by gallons used on my phones calculator. I never even look at the mpg trip A, mpg trip B, current mpg (is that on there? lol) etc
The NC is the only bike I've run out of gas with in memory and twice at that and both times with my 2015 that had the "gas used while on reserve" feature. I guess I do prefer the way 670cc would have it with gas to go instead of tenths of gallons of gas used on reserve. Mine didn't always go on reserve at the same point and had a different amount left to count up to. Still, I would have probably run out of gas because I was trying to stretch the tank a little too far.

Soooooo in other words, you ignored all the flashing lights and warnings too long lol
Yes I did. Both times I was on a ride to the Smokies and the route I take the first 95 miles is on I-95, I could take back roads and avoid I-95 but It's always predawn and I'm scared of deer in the early hours on back roads. I get about 50 mpg at 80-85 mph and end up with a tank that goes dry at about 200-215 miles but tried to go 220 miles. I learned to get gas way before I needed it because there is no gas during the long stretch that bypasses all towns of any size without going off my favorite route. I made the route originally when I had a 330 mile range ST1300. I think that's about the time I added the tool tubes and one carried a MSR gas bottle of 30 oz extra reserve: https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/mounting-tool-tubes-inside-of-givi-panniers.2841/

Some additional thoughts:

I'm ok with the stock seat. I've had better, but I've had much worse too. Certainly tolerable for me.

I adjusted the handlebars to suit me and the brake lever and won't be needing any risers.

The stock mirrors do a good job of showing me what's back there.

I wish the stock foot pegs were a little wider, and more rectangular rather than being skinny, tapered and pointy.

Still having trouble finding a blank for a spare key to make a knob for the frunk out of. Been to Mr. Lock, Ace Hardware (neither of which had or could get a blank) and my local dealer (who is checking into it for me)

Hopefully have another windshield coming, that I will cut a couple inches off the top of, to get the air blast out of my eye port. The stock shield is just a little too tall to suit me. Not awful, but I think 2" shorter will do the trick. I would rather have my head in clean air. Since I'm not cross country touring on this bike, I don't need a touring size shield.

Since I got the clock set and the colored flashy bars turned off, the instruments aren't too bad to look at. They tell me most of what I'd like to know. Wish they had included an ambient air temp gauge, but it's no big deal. I know when it's hot or cold out lol. The functions I really want/need are all there, and then some... it's really a little overwhelming as to the amount of info they give you if you push enough buttons.

I finally don't have to buy angled valves stems for a bike. Good job Honda.

Still trying to decide on an option for baggage for day trips and for our Men's Fall Trip later this year. I have soft bags, and tail packs, but the gas cap under the seat presents a small issue. Nothing I can't work around. I have a plan will have to see if it works.

For a small bike (I've ridden 1000-1300cc bikes since 1977) I find it very freeway worthy, which really surprises me. I thought a bike with less than 60 hp would really suffer in this area, but it seems to like 60-70 mph just fine.

Last edited:
Back