• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Good Tires for Street Riding

Geez those are cheap enough. Hard to believe a tire that cost so little can be any good. I'm amazed
Some people that have not actually used them might dismiss the Ravens, I guess because they don’t cost enough to possibly be a good tire, or some such logic. Maybe for some riding styles, those people may be right, but for others, they may be missing a good opportunity. It depends on what features they look for in a tire. If people try them and you don’t like them, that’s perfectly fine, but people shouldn’t negatively criticize them without trying them.

I wasnt trying to poo poo them, just amazed (as I said) that they are as good as reported. Kind of like a $100 helmet, or a $50 pair of riding boots.

Last edited:
I currently have a set of Pirelli Angel GT’s in stock sizes. I have no complaints in cold weather or wet grip since this seems to be the majority of my riding. I currently have 3000 miles at stock pressures. I am on county roads that are chip gravel and tar and stone. I ride some state highways that have nice pavement.

For what I paid, I wouldn’t purchase them again. I would try another brand as others have eluded to.

Last edited:
I didn't see Ferret criticizing them.
Or was that aimed at someone else?
I did not say that the Ferret criticized them. I referred to “some people” in a general sense, and I thereafter used the pronoun “they.” I quoted the Ferret’s post to provide some context for my comments. Sorry if that may have been misleading.

I love my Pirelli Angel GT 2s also put well over the average miles on a set of older GTs. I don't get to push them in the twisties as much the last couple of years but they do really well in the winter weather and rain too so I'm happy.

I've used the Michelin Pilot Road 4's and loved them. Not great mileage (about 7K or so), but they have fantastic grip wet and dry. Currently I'm trying the Pirelli Scorpion Trails to see if a tad more "off asphalt" ability is noticeable. Candidly, I cannot really tell a difference (I only go occasionally on fire roads and packed gravel -- nothing extreme), so the next set will likely be the Michelin Road 5's. They cost more, but over 6-8K miles it's not that significant and the Michelins are "confidence inspiring," especially on wet roads.

I have the Ravens and will continue to buy the Shinko Ravens as long as Shinko makes them.....I compare them to the Conti Motion-Pro (about the same price and handling on dry/wet the same) except the Raven has an advantage-the Ravens have tread in the center of the tire (the Motion Pros do not); thus, the Ravens have wear bars in the center of the the tire (the Motion Pros do not)....On the Motion Pros, you can go from what looks like tire in the center to cords showing in 30 miles (done it 2 times) in the center of the tire while there were 0 wear bars showing on the sides...chicken stripes are inevitable when commuting on the super slab to work.

I have the Ravens and will continue to buy the Shinko Ravens as long as Shinko makes them.....I compare them to the Conti Motion-Pro (about the same price and handling on dry/wet the same) except the Raven has an advantage-the Ravens have tread in the center of the tire (the Motion Pros do not); thus, the Ravens have wear bars in the center of the the tire (the Motion Pros do not)....On the Motion Pros, you can go from what looks like tire in the center to cords showing in 30 miles (done it 2 times) in the center of the tire while there were 0 wear bars showing on the sides...chicken stripes are inevitable when commuting on the super slab to work.
Agreed. When looking at tread design, the first thing I look for is tread groves in the centerline or crossing the centerline of the tire. The Shinko Ravens satisfy my requirement for center tread grooves.

With other tires having no tread in the center, it's nearly impossible to tell how much rubber remains there. Like davidc83, I have more than once set out on a ride with apparently good tires, only to have cord showing halfway through the ride. The wear bars can still be fine, but they're too far away from the centerline to be of much value.

Agreed. When looking at tread design, the first thing I look for is tread groves in the centerline or crossing the centerline of the tire. The Shinko Ravens satisfy my requirement for center tread grooves.

With other tires having no tread in the center, it's nearly impossible to tell how much rubber remains there. Like davidc83, I have more than once set out on a ride with apparently good tires, only to have cord showing halfway through the ride. The wear bars can still be fine, but they're too far away from the centerline to be of much value.
I've seen car tires with the words "REPLACEMENT TIRE MONITOR" moulded into the centre of the tread pattern (on a flat) with the depth such that when it's time to scrap the rubber, it reads "REPLACE TIRE" (the "MENT" and "MONITOR" has a shallower depth). Some others had numbers representing the equivalent tread depth. That would maybe be a good feature for tire manufacturers to consider for those motorcycle tires without tread grooves on centre.

Here it is:
1644515316131.png

Thanks, I have about 4,300 miles on my Shinko Ravens and I'm hoping to get 10K+ miles out of the rear.
When I dont use the Honda for commute (I have 2 bikes I use to commute), I have got approx 10,000 miles on the rear...However, last summer I commuted mostly on the Honda and only got 8,000 miles on the rear (my commute is 76 miles round trip with 60 of that being superslab). .The Raven on the front, I have more than 10,000 miles on it (have to check my records) and still has rideable tread (but getting close, sometime in april/early May, I will have to replace it).

I have Bridgestone T31 tires front and rear (on two motorcycles). They are great, wet and dry. I buy them when they have their rebates in the spring.

I think most of todays bike tires are “decent. I like Michelins and Metzler’s. Had Shinto’s on a 1200 Bonnieville and they were decent. The only issue I’ve had with tires in a long time was years ago I got a set of Continentals that just didn’t grip in the wet-they were scary and I took them off very early. That particular tire is no longer offered in the US.

Last edited:
I'm a bit concerned. At 4100 miles, the Rear Tire is bald and I can what looks like, the 2nd layer of rubber.
This is the stock Dunlop Trailmax D609 on the rear.
I check pressure and run 36-40psi at times and I've got Cupping on the "sides".
The only time that ever happened to me (in the past), was when I was under-inflated (Thus the reason for me constantly checking tire pressure since).

I'm hearing Shinko Raven 009's or Michilin Road 6's are my best bet for "Street" only riding?
I'm about 75% mountain roads, 25% Freeway.
As much as I like this bike, still can't bring myself to do the long runs into Los Angeles on this bike.
Not like I would on my Concours. I don't know what it is.
I ran Metzler's for the Goldwing, on that bike. The slightly larger size made the Speedometer accurate and I got 12k out of them every time.

BTW, the Shad P36's have been removed for Aerodynamics (Just the cases).
Top speed went from over 100MPH, to mid 90's MPH. Not that I ride that fast often, but the obvious drag they create, means less MPG and more rear Tire Wear (more power to the ground needed to fight the wind).
I'll hang them on the bike, when I need them.

Thanks or having this topic handy, when I needed it.

Chuck

I'm a bit concerned. At 4100 miles, the Rear Tire is bald and I can what looks like, the 2nd layer of rubber.
The only time that ever happened to me (in the past), was when I was under-inflated (Thus the reason for me constantly checking tire pressure since).

———

Chuck
Don’t be too concerned about the short life you got from the stock Dunlop Trailmax D609. My NC did not come with the D609 nor have I ever used them, but from what I have read, 4100 miles might be above average life for those junk tires. Those tires are special OEM spec. They may look great on the showroom floor, giving the NC the image of a wannabe adventure bike, but new owners will soon need to replace them with “real” tires.

I'm hearing Shinko Raven 009's or Michilin Road 6's are my best bet for "Street" only riding?
I'm about 75% mountain roads, 25% Freeway.
As much as I like this bike, still can't bring myself to do the long runs into Los Angeles on this bike.
Not like I would on my Concours. I don't know what it is.
I ran Metzler's for the Goldwing, on that bike. The slightly larger size made the Speedometer accurate and I got 12k out of them every time.

BTW, the Shad P36's have been removed for Aerodynamics (Just the cases).
Top speed went from over 100MPH, to mid 90's MPH. Not that I ride that fast often, but the obvious drag they create, means less MPG and more rear Tire Wear (more power to the ground needed to fight the wind).
I'll hang them on the bike, when I need them.

Chuck
My stock Dunlap was about bald at 4000 miles, too.

I replaced them with Bridgestone T31 front and rear. I like them a lot. Decent price and good performance.
I have 6000 miles on the rear and it looks like I have at least a few thousand miles left in them, maybe more.

I replaced the stock Dunlop tires at 10,250 mi. The front probably had a little life in it, but the rear was dead and done. Worn flat in the center from previous owner. Never had confidence in those stock tires, never felt planted at high lean angles and lots of slippage in wet or cold conditions.

Now I run Shinko Raven 009's and, like everyone else here, love them and highly recommend. I mostly commute, but occasionally go fast and have fun. Dry or rain, they always feel 100% planted. The only time I lost traction was in very cold weather (<30 F), on paint stripes, leaning too hard on not-warmed-up tires.

Back